Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Screen shattered on Nokia Lumia 800

Mobile Guru

Re: Screen shattered on Nokia Lumia 800

CodeRed wrote:

Mine fell down on a rough pavement too... the deep scratches on the casing and the glass itself really bothered me,

especially the ones on the "corning gorilla glass" which was said to be a tough to scratch...

Tough to scratch does not mean impossible. One has to be realistic.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilmittal

My nokia lumia 800 too slip out of my hand and to my horror, screen of the phone was shattered completely.  I contacted nokia care at Jaipur India to replace the same and they demanded Rs 14000.00 (Appox $275).  Its really surprising that the screen has broken so easily and cannot withstand a simple fall from the hand.  The cost of the phone was Rs 23000.00.  Its too expnesive to replace the same.  Infact now I am thinking not to get it  repaired and instead spent the same on some other phone.  Really shocking for me and its looks that there is some design problem in Nokia 800 Lumia.  Previosuly I was using I phone 3gs and falled a number of times, but nothing happen to the phone except minor scratches.  Wherease lumia 800 fallen just once and screen gets broken and also replacement cost is too high.  Not expected from Nokia.

Anil Mittal

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Maximillian

Saltynut wrote:

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Well, I got a reply from Nokia. Impressively fast for the weekend:

"We regret to hear about what happened to your phone. We suggest taking your phone to a Nokia Care Point for an assessment. It will depend on the Nokia Technicians if this will be covered under warranty. "

I did phone the Nokia Care Point yesterday. They're a third party company and weren't interested in considering repairing this under warranty. They wanted £150 to fix it.

I'm really upset at being asked to pay £150 to fix a new device that shattered from a fall of less than 3 feet, and annoyed that Nokia's customer support wouldn't authorise its repair.

Given the apparent fragility of the Lumia 800, and also given the horrible battery life problems, I'm in no mood to give Nokia or their partners any more money. I do need a smartphone though.

So I'm going to replace this phone with something else, I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 instead - apparently it has excellent battery life.

Samsung more worst than Nokia, is my personal view and experience using Nokia and Samsung.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shaylenewalker2

just happened to me too. im devastated

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

The replacement screen alone, when original Nokia, will be  £150 so you're getting a good price. Screen can be found for less and replacement is actually very easy to do. We can't go into detail here but the obvious source to find more information applies here.. (something with a bay and a tube would be sufficient)..

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chicosorous

Im same as you i got told that it would £150 for screen and when i said no send it back to me i was charged for postage and £19.99 handling fee.i ask how they justify the handling fee if they dont fix screens under warranty, he said he opened up phone to have a look to see what was wrong with it.the note in the envelope explaining what happened and the smashed screen must not have been obvious enough.plus you can buy a new phone( lumia800) for less than 150 so it just doesnt add up.so now i get my phone back from phoneland i just hope its still sme as i sent it coz at least i could still use it.also mine only fell 2-3 ft aswell. For such a sturdy feeling phoneit seems to have a glass jaw which only takes 1 hit
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

I can't say whether Phoneland is an actual Nokia Care Point which would be a prerequisite for them to be able to repair under warranty in the first place. Also while I can understand your concern you should really take this up with Nokia Care as here at Nokia Support Discussions we are a user to user platform and Nokia Care is there for matters such as yours. You can reach them through this link.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
robax

It's pretty easy to break a screen.. just takes the right concentration of force and ping!

My wife's Lumia 800 broke the other day so I bought a replacement screen off eBay for about $85 and replaced it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IZ-iYzQgE

It's not too hard, but suggest not doing it if you're a **bleep**.

Rob

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akkiraj

lemRe: Screen shattered on Nokia Lumia 800

hiii...m using lumia 800 ..m also facing the same problems of battery backup....

i don do much on my phone....

evn than my battery lasts for 6 hours....

firmware revision - 1750.0805.8773.12220

n also in my battery status option..

there r only two things

voltage  4.267V

current  72mA

full charge option is not thre..

wht should i do..

plz tel me...

thnks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AmyBritishBitch

Last night I dropped my Nokia Lumia 800, it fell out of my pocket,it still works but there's a big smash on the the right corner,down near the top of my screen. Is it under warranty? Little shards of glass is also falling out.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Breaking the glass does not come under basic warranty, not for any phone. You can insure yourself against it though. But it would seem that would be too late now.

---

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pelican1

Few days ago I also dropped my Nokia lumia 800 from about knees length and my screen shattered, luckily I had a screen protector on so I think its saving it from falling out into pieces. Was so dissatisfied and disapointed after reading so many reviews on the screen. Went to phones 4u from were hubby purchased this for me last year October and was told Nokia won't do anything as it was my fault. Was told to go to Nokia care point. This was the first time my phone fell I was so gutted, all that advertising about how strong the glass is, is definitely false. Dropped it once and unlucky me bye, bye phone. Was working fine until a few days ago, when I answer a call screen goes black and I can't put the call down have to wait a minute before I see the screen again. Was a Nokia fan, don't think I will be buying another Nokia phone again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Peska

I has same experience, but I liked my Lumia 800 to the extent I paid for 4 screen repairs in a year!! Very angry with myself now the screen is gone again after landing FACE FLAT on the floor (no I will not pay for yet another repair) .. Im angry with Nokia too for releasing a phone that is so fragile and letting people pay so much for it!!

And it takes five days for repair to be done - no offence to Nokia but many people buying smartphones and actually use it for more than tweeting and cant wait this long.. Aaargh !! very frustrated

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bilcor

I have recently purchased a Nokia Lumina 900 for my wife and now I think I will purchase several glass fronts for the phone to have quick replacements for broke fronts.  The glass is fairly cheap but the complete front is sort of expensive.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Blondie999

I've just had this problem with my Nokia - it fell about two and a half feet from my dining table, when it was knocked off by somebody moving some things around. It hit the floor completely flat, and when I picked it up there was a great big crack running down one side of the screen and then across the bottom. It had the protective cover on and everything.

Frustrated!!!

Please use plain text.