Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Seriously, Nokia what are you playing at?

Professor

Seriously, Nokia what are you playing at?

I know there are aleady countless threads about the battery life but I really want a proper response from anyone on here who can speak for nokia?

WHY are you washing your hands of "battery issues " after this latest update when there are clearly so many people still with issues.

9 hours since last charge now on 52%. That's with email checking every now and then over 3g and some facebook and some whatsapp. Few minutes of listening to music too.

It's clear the latest battery update just changed the calculations so it showed there was more time estimated left...... (reckons 18 hours left but I'm more concerned about how much has gone in the past 8 hours rather than how much it says is left)

Diagnostics tells me the full charge capacity is 1354mAh.....:/

I'd also LOVE to know how you can claim these figures

• 9.5 h
    Maximum 3G talk time
  • 335 h
    Maximum 3G standby time
  • 55 h
    Maximum music playback time
  • 6.5 h
    Maximum video playback time

I can't even get 55hours max 3g standby time let alone listening to music for that long.

And I don't even want to hear "turn data and wifi and location off when you're not using it"

I shouldn't have to

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GeoffN

Just charge every night and you'll be fine.

Please use plain text.
Professor

No.

I can't use everything on my phone during the day though. If I need to sat nav or do heavy browsing it will die.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Flakmonkey

While the advertised standby/talk times are complete fiction (as whth most other phones) the actual standby/talk is on a par with other smartphones, my lumia usually outlasts my wifes iphone4.

I dont agree that nokia has washed their hands of the issue in any way, they have been surprisingly swift in aknowledging and releasing updates for the problem. The only issue that still remains regarding the battery is peoples unrealistic expectations, possible not helped by those advertised figures.
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Flakmonkey wrote:
While the advertised standby/talk times are complete fiction (as whth most other phones) the actual standby/talk is on a par with other smartphones, my lumia usually outlasts my wifes iphone4.

I dont agree that nokia has washed their hands of the issue in any way, they have been surprisingly swift in aknowledging and releasing updates for the problem. The only issue that still remains regarding the battery is peoples unrealistic expectations, possible not helped by those advertised figures.

I'm sure I read somehwere that as far as they were concerned the battery issues were fixed. I could be wrong though.

I don't think it's unrealistic to want to be able to go longer than 8 hours with email syncing hourly, and browsing. If I used it as my main music device (as I should be able to with my smartphone) or used it for satnav it would die before I got home.

There ARE problems. They aren't unrealistic expectations.

Right now 13 since last charge, on 35%. I am in no way a heavy user. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

I have to agree with the OP - in that I feel that the battery life on these Nokia's is very poor.  The fact that this is Nokia that we're talking about, the same Nokia that built it's kingdom on bullet proof dependability and huge battery life, maybe compiles the problem.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 - 1650 mAh and this new Lumia 800 (1450mAh).  I charged both last night and then used the SGS2 as my main phone all day with the Lumia along for the ride just to compare.

Both phones had WiFi turned on and the phone set to 2G.  I installed a couple of apps on the Nokia and had it checking emails every 30 mins. 

The Nokia has just died after less than 18 hours - of basically being on standby all day only. No calls, no maps, no GPS, no screen use, just emails and twitter check twice.  Stone dead.

My SGS2 is still showing 54% charge after much more demanding use.  Even taking into account the extra 200mAh of the android battery, that would still equal around 48% remaining.

Although others may feel that this is acceptable, especially if they simply don't use the phone very often in a day, for people that actually need to depend on their Lumia for any level of productivity away from a power source, this is terrible.  Throw in the fact that it's a sealed unit....pretty ridiculous.  My old N8 lasts vastly longer than both these phones.

Design 10/10

OS 6/10

Productivity - 2/10

As a long time user of Nokia phones and more recently Android handsets, coming back to Nokia feels a little like they've taken 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards with the Lumia.

I would like to return this handset to Nokia and try something else...maybe the N9 has a better battery life?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

Its interesting that some users are now pushing the view that expecting the lumia to last a full working day is unrealistic!

My own lumia is being exchanged due to extremely poor battery life. This will be my last attempt at obtaining a working model. if battery life its still poor (less than a working day - a not unreasonable expectation) that will be that as far as I'm concerned for both Nokia and windows phone. I'm sure that Nokia wont lose any sleep over losing me as a customer, but the one thing I am sure of is that I'm not alone.
Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

Occams_Cat wrote:

I would like to return this handset to Nokia and try something else...maybe the N9 has a better battery life?

This is something I'm curious about as it is basically the same hardware I guess ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

bbuckle wrote:
I'm sure that Nokia wont lose any sleep over losing me as a customer, but the one thing I am sure of is that I'm not alone.

You''ll definitely not be the only one... all my battery numbers are as it should be, and with minimal use I can't get to 18h in the evening (so my phone it dead before I returned home), having started at about 7h in the morning.  That's only a pathetic 11 hours :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

What is going on? Why is there such differences in people's battery life? I have never had less than 24 hour battery life - not even before the update - and would describe a typical day's usage for me as; Morning alarm, Stream Talksport over Bluetooth for about 20-30 mins, emails checked every 30 mins, calenders, contacts and tasks synced, probably 45 mins - 1 hr surfing, maybe 15 mins gaming. A few calls made and received. I have the brightness set to auto, and access internet over wifi only.

The only time I noticed any difference was when I used a different charger to the one provided for the Lumia, then yeah I guess I got about 16 hours usage.

Obviously, a lot of people still have issues, but Nokia have stated that they haven't finished with updates and that battery life and audio quality will be addressed in an update - no date given though.

Please use plain text.
Professor

sealionact wrote:

Obviously, a lot of people still have issues, but Nokia have stated that they haven't finished with updates and that battery life and audio quality will be addressed in an update - no date given though.

Hmm I'm sending mine back to 3 to reflash soon, apparently reflashing will help according to nokia. If not I don't know. Could wait for any other battery updates, if that doesn't help, demand a replacement handset?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kwajr

im calling bs on the sgs2 do again with that phone and show us the battary graph after 8 hrs there is no way 

all smartphone suffer from this if you use your phone a work day is about all your gonna get out of it

this is where they need to work on not sw improvements but new battery tech

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

r2504 'This is something I'm curious about as it is basically the same hardware I guess ?'

Pretty much : Here's a table comparison

N9 - slower processor, bigger screen, double RAM, same tiny 1450mAh battery,

The N9 has an even lower quoted battery stamina than the Lumia 800...probably due to the bigger screen. So maybe that's not the way forward!  I'll try a replacement Lumia 800 and see if there's much difference in the usability.

Please use plain text.
Eduardx

What's up with the Zune solution,since the ded lumias cant be turnd on and in conseuqence they are not recoginzed in the PC

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bardotti

[ Edited ]

Official Nokia specifications for the Nokia 500:

Standby time (maximum):

• GSM up to 500 h
  • WCDMA (3G) up to 455 h

It should mean about 18 days of standby. In reality my Nokia 500 has a standby time of barely 3 days.

A friend of mine has a smartphone Samsung similar to mine and he confirm me it has a standby time of about 2 weeks !!!

For not to mention the fact that using Nokia maps (GPS) the power go off after about 1 hour and half !!!

Beside of all I previously wrote these same thing with a bad word and Nokia deleted my message. This means that Nokia reads all the messages in here. If they do not answer the legitimate questions of the users it is because THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO ANSWER.

Nokia was once upon a time a reliable phone maker.

What a shame !

That is exactly the point: They lost their good reputation and in the future many, many, many, many, many, many clients. This will be the punishment the market will serve them. A cold plate as the taste of the revenge.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Post has been edited as it contained groundless accusations against Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bardotti

[ Edited ]

Funny, moderators keep the time to read and revise offensive quote but nobody take the time to answer.

Moderator's note: We have removed a part of your post as it was in another language. For more information, see Guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

bardotti wrote:

Funny, moderators keep the time to read and revise offensive quote but nobody take the time to answer.

Moderator's note: We have removed a part of your post as it was in another language. For more information, see Guidelines.

The Moderators are here to maintain the forum. Not just to speak on behalf of Nokia.

This is a user to user support forup, If you wish ot contact Nokia you can do so using the 'Contact Support' link at the top of the page

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bardotti

As already told I already wrote to Nokia but got no answer. 

Can anyone provide me an email to write to ? Or may be it is too mutch for a moderator ?

Nokia customer care just phatetic.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

The power consumption figures published as part of the specifications are measured by industry-wide standards followed by all manufacturers of mobile devices.

Nokia is investigating the concerns of customers expressed via this forum and directly to Nokia Care, and improvements are expected in forthcoming software updates. Skyee and Kerttu will be posting information on updates as and when it becomes available.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
harmanni

Hi bardotti!

We are taking every feedback very seriously and you have been contacted by Nokia Care via Private Message. Please check you inbox. We will try to find the best solution to any issues you are facing with your device, but let’s keep the public conversation strictly on troubleshooting and support. Please also remember to keep up the respect towards every user.

Regards

Harmanni

Please use plain text.