Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Setting up the phone and account for my child

Registered Member
HkiBuzz

Setting up the phone and account for my child

Hi

I have tried to find this information on the board but to no avail.

I have bought a Lumia 710 for my daughter and am not sure how to install the accounts on it.

I suppose there needs to be a Live account for myself, in order to pay for apps for instance and do other settings for her.

But then how can I make sure the phone is actually set up for her, so she gets her own e-mail, she also benefits from the parental control etc?

Thank you

Fred

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Setting up the phone and account for my child

@HkiBuzz

Don't know whether this helps at all:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937066

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

If your daughter log in her Windows Live in the age of less than 18, she won't be allowed to download even a simple free application on her phone (Marketplace).
On the other hand, she can download applications through Zune software on your PC.

I don't know if I could help you on this. But this could help you and it's rather important.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
WildSabre

You should be able to attach a payment method to your daughters Windows Live account through Zune. Also I know some network providers will allow you to use the phones credit or contract to pay for apps or music instead.

As far as having some sort of parental control over the phone speak to the network provider. I know with my own (Orange UK) they have a setting in your account page that will give some access restrictions to the internet. 

Also make sure you have the 'find my phone' feature switched on as you can see where your daughter is when out with the phone :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

I have a friend who was almost 18 when he bought a Lumia and unfortunately put his real birthday into his Windows Live account. He was unable to download any app from the Marketplace, not even free apps.

This is an unbelievably restrictive and unnecessary restriction. To my knowledge there is no adult material in the marketplace which teens and adolescents need to avoid. And putting the limit at 18 years old? Come on!

You think iphone has restrictions? WP has even more and worse restrictions. Due to Microsoft's "clever" restrictions the market share for WP is still less than 5% after 2 years.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Flameproof

"I have a friend who was almost 18 when he bought a Lumia and unfortunately put his real birthday into his Windows Live account. He was unable to download any app from the Marketplace, not even free apps."

I had the same problem.

Simply logon to Live.com and change the birthdate - problem solved!

This restriction is simply stupid and brainless since it will make WP7 useless. You can't even install apps that you WANT your kids to have, such as facebook or whatsapp, skype etc. 

If that was really about protecting children then they would have designed some sort of parental control, so parents can overright that restriction. But they didn't.

Please use plain text.