Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Some issues I found

Counsellor
takisrock

Some issues I found

Hello to all.

I recently bought the Lumia 820.

I am very pleased about it. It is very very good.

And I am new to wp8, but I find some not good issues.

1. I have duplicates on my music/videos (3-4 times) and I never had  any sync. just cable and drag/drop.

if I try to remove any duplicate, automatically file is useless, it is like erased, but the entry is still there.

2. I notice that the store is not giving the updates of the apps, and the only way to update any app is to go manually, if you know which or when...

3. I try to tap and send (nfc) to a symbian device but it didn't work..

any reason why?

I also I have 2 things to ask because I don't know.

1. is it provider's fault that I cannot buy something from store and charge it to my phone bill? I'm from Greece.

2. the alarm can ring only when the phone is on? I believe that it is yes, but why?

that's all for now, the rest working just great.

Thanks and I'm waiting for a reply soon

ps. sorry for my English

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

takisrock wrote:I also I have 2 things to ask because I don't know.

1. is it provider's fault that I cannot buy something from store and charge it to my phone bill? I'm from Greece.

2. the alarm can ring only when the phone is on? I believe that it is yes, but why?

1. yes

2. yes. The phone needs to be on for the alarm to sound. Symbian phones were never actually off, just in sleep mode, which is why the alarm worked even when you thought the phone is "off".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

93tid wrote:

1. yes

2. yes. The phone needs to be on for the alarm to sound. Symbian phones were never actually off, just in sleep mode, which is why the alarm worked even when you thought the phone is "off".

Thanks I wasn't 100% sure about these 2..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

you usually have to delete files in the actual app that it is using it, i.e. the default music player, otherwise sometimes refreshing the library manually or via computer it doesn't work and keeps the old entries.

as for the Store not giving notifications of updates, this appears to be a Store problem, and unfortunately there is no way to force the Store to check for updates. i find that i had problems with updates, but in the last couple of weeks its fixed itself. Nokia system app updates are important though, and something that can't be searched for manually in the Store, so this link will assist you greatly: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Nokia-Windows-Phone-8-App-Updates/td-p/1640082

As for the NFC, this has been reported several times, and it appears for now, that NFC only works between Windows Phone devices and not any other. Bummer. You can always throw your support behind the inclusion of improved NFC by going over to Microsoft: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com

I hope this all helps mate.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

About the store, I believe.that it's going to be fixed soon.the link, you send me I found it yesterday by random search.

about the music I found it tricky,because I don't know what is the problem. For example I received an audio file and it has been duplicate 3 times... Sometimes I see that it does they even in pictures I take. And if I try to erase any file, it's going be an error and it won't be able to play Any suggestion, or is MS fault?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

I try some things with the sd card, formating twice, even with my previus N8.

I copy paste my files (a few music, 1 video and a few pictures) to test, to see what it'll happent...still Nothing.

Now I have all music 2-3 times each track.

some pictures 2-3 times and

1 video plus his ghost...

Can help please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

might be a problem with the way the phone is accessing and writing to the external microSD memory. have you tried performing a soft reset (pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates)? also check that your memory card isn't a Class 10 one, as this is often overkill and this may be causing problems in such devices.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

Soft reset, no. Lumia 820 has a removable battery.
Can you explain about your last sentence? cause I didn't understand that.

I know that the class 10 is better then class 4, but I was thinking to buy one, when the problem fixed. For nowI have a class 4, 2 gb card, which I have very little files compared the storage I have on pc.

Thanks for your reply by the way
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Sorry my mistake about the whole battery thing mate. Class refers to the maximum write / read speeds to the external memory card, there is an article on Wikipedia and on the net that explains this in greater detail. As I stated in my earlier post, and if you search yourself on these forums, Class 10 is overkill and sometimes does not reach that theoretical maximum speed for transfers. I do not know why there is not an exact reason for now, but a lot of the memory card problems have stemmed with users who are using Class 10 cards, so for now, its safer to use Class 2 or Class 4.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Class 10 is overkill because the interface available in most devices doesn't support the speeds these cards can handle. There is also no need for the speeds these cards can (theoretical) achieve for the purpose they serve in a smartphone. Their main purpose is to allow fast consecutive HD stills being stored. Class 6 is well capable of anything your modern smartphone can throw at it as far as media storage is concerned. For playback (and most any function the card is used for) a class 4 card is more then adequate.

And I qoute from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

The speed class rating does not totally characterize card performance. Different cards of the same class may vary considerably while meeting class specifications. In addition, speed may vary markedly between writing a large amount of data to a single file (sequential access, as when a digital camera records large photographs or videos) and writing a large number of small files (a random-access use common in smartphones).

One study found that, in this random-access use, some Class 2 cards achieved a write speed of 1.38Mb/sec, while all cards tested of Class 6 or greater (and some of lower Classes; lower Class does not necessarily mean better small-file performance), including those from major manufacturers, were over 100 times slower.

What this means is that in average everyday use a class2 card may actually perform better then a class 6 or higher card..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

And there's the explanation that I needed but fumbled towards :smileyhappy:. Thanks Paul :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

First of all, thank you both for your information. I was thinking to buy a class 10 sd card.

but now I'll buy a class 4 or 6, 16 gb or 32gb..

But my problem isn't which sd card I sould buy. Ofcourse your answers have learned me, things I didn't knew.

It is about duplicates. I explain in posts above the issues with that.

sometimes when I take a picture, I have a double file/picture. but not all the time.

if I delete one, it would be like I delete them both.

In my country there is no Nokia Music, yet, to try about music, duplicates songs or not.

I recieved by bluetooth, 1 song, which now it shows 4 times. I don't know what is fault, my sd or the os?

I almost forgot to say that, in storage menu of the sd card, in category music/videos it appears "virtual" 3 times more space. for example if I had only 200 mb of music, on an sd card of 2 gb. this will show, 1.79~ gb free, 600 mb of music... weird..

So, so far, this is my biggest problem.

Sorry if I am getting tiring and thanks again for your time

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takisrock

Yesterday I deside to take my sd card out of the phone.
make some tests, and I found that the fault was the sd card and I destroy it....

But I connected my phone to pc, to transfer some files to see what will happent. The same annoying thing with duplicate music....

Any solution???
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

indeed strange that it is still happening. have you tried a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone)? bear in mind that this wipes everything, so please make a backup of all personal data first to PC and / or online storage first.
Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

Whether or not Class 10 is an overkill is another matter. There is no excuse for the latest phone by Nokia not to work with a Class 10 card which is nothing special these days. In fact if you buy a 64GB SD card now you'll be hard pressed to find one which is not Class 10. Stop being apologists for Nokia and start demanding that they fix this.

The other problem is duplicate music files when stored in the SD card. This is a common problem if you check WPCentral and there is no easy fix for this. It appears to be a bug in the os and resetting your phone won't help. The duplicate files cannot be deleted or the affected songs won't play.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

KennyKB wrote:

Whether or not Class 10 is an overkill is another matter. There is no excuse for the latest phone by Nokia not to work with a Class 10 card which is nothing special these days. In fact if you buy a 64GB SD card now you'll be hard pressed to find one which is not Class 10. Stop being apologists for Nokia and start demanding that they fix this.

There is nothing to fix. It's the reality of the read/write process in smartphones as very eloquently explained further up by paulheu and it is valid for any smartphone.

As for availability of 64GB microSD cards - I timed myself on this search - 22 seconds via Google got me this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005LFT40G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid...

So that's hardly an issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nimal136

Hey ppl, atlast it worked for me. The windows desktop app is buggy and it doesn't transfer files as intented for me. Rather i could transfer files without trouble in these steps. Now i don't have any duplicates and all the files are playing without showing any error.   Try it out:
1. Remove all the files you have in the memory card or simply format it. Still you will see the files in the music player which wont play but wil remain there simply. You have no other way than to select the files,individually,and delete all the duplicate and dummy files,that wont play any longer. Pity those having 32 GB full of files. I had only 2GB. There could be some other way to do this. But it worked this way  only for me.
2. Connect the Lumia to pc through usb cable. You should be able to see the drives in the file explorer.
3. Open windows media player (i have set the option of sync using windows media player in the windows desktop app in its settings). Select the songs you want to add into the sd card and drag and drop in the SYNC LIST section at the right side of the player. (in the library view, you will see play list, burn list, sync list at the right).
4. The Sync list section will show the external devices connected to the pc. In this case, select "Mobile name"-SD card and click START SYNC option above that. It will show the sync progress and once done you can see songs in the mobile.
Note: i had few issues when i tried to sync  files and folder ,together. So tried syncing them separately and it worked. Remember to edit the song attributes like,album name,artist,genre,etc. in a way to facilitate organising songs in the music+videos in mobile. You can also create playlists from the media player itself by dragging and dropping playlists in the Sync list.

Please use plain text.