Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Speaker phone and they can't hear

Contributor
Lupita72
Accepted Solution

Speaker phone and they can't hear

Recently it started doing this. When I put it on speaker phone then the person the other person can't hear.

Nokia Lumia 925
Please use plain text.
paramour13

Hi, Lupita72.

Welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions!

Did something happen to your phone prior to this? When was the last time you've updated your phone's software and system apps? Here are some troubleshooting steps that you may try: 

1. Check that your microphone is not muted. Also, restarting your phone could resolve the issue. To do that, hold the Power andVolume Down keys simultaneously until the phone vibrates. Release and the phone will restart.
  2. Check that the microphone opening is not blocked. To find the microphone opening, refer to your phone user guide.
  3. Move to a quieter area.
  4. Set your phone to loudspeaker mode, or try a wired headset that has a microphone.
  5. Check if the issue is with a specific number on outgoing or incoming calls.
  6. Use the volume keys to adjust the volume.
  7. Test your phone's microphone and speakers with the pre-installed voice recorder. To record a clip, go to Messaging > New (+)Attach and tap voice note. Record an audio clip, and play the recording. If you can hear the recording, your microphone is ok.

Do not hesitate to inform us how the fixes will go. All the best! :smileywink:

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lupita72

[ Edited ]

I've tried shutting off and on, trying different numbers, and the recorder and other microphone apps don't work either. Non loud speaker conversations work and so do earbud/headset microphone calls. I've also tried volume controls, quiter area, no the mute button isn't on but it acts as if it were. I have a case for it but it does not block either microphone.

I've had the phone for three months. about a month and a half ago it fell and the screen shattered. Since it was going to cost more to have the screen fixed than what I paid for the phone I ordered a screen on Ebay and did it myself. But the speaker phone calls still worked after. Then a month ago I got a new SIM card because the one it had wasn't Wifi callng compatible. Speaker phone calls still worked. It hasn't been updated recently, but needs some updates. Then about a few days ago this happens. It's like the speaker phone's microphone is bad.

Please use plain text.
paramour13

Thanks for sharing all this info, Lupita72. You can try checking for available update for your phone & see if it will make changes. To check if the Lumia Cyan software update is available in your region, go here: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/. Make sure that your system apps are up-to-date as well: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Nokia-Windows-Phone-8-App-Updates/td-p/1640082. Keep us posted! 

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lupita72

Well I updated the Phone and now it works! I wonder what would have made it stop working and how an update could have fixed it. But the important thing is that it works!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lupita72

Darn it! It did it again, right in the middle of a phone call! I could hear loud and clear and suddenly the other person couldn't hear me as if I had turned on the mute button. But the mute button wasn't the problem. I switched off the loud speaker function and the other person could hear me again.
Please use plain text.
paramour13

Sorry to hear this, Lupita72. To verify, you updated the software of your phone to the Lumia Cyan or just its system apps? Does the same thing happen when using a compatible wired headset? Can you try the fixes I have listed on my previous post? Let's see if there's any changes. By the way, mind telling me where you're located? This is for me to provide you the correct link in case I'll be needing to give you one. Hope to hear from you soon! 

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lupita72

I had updated the apps. I didn't do it exactly like it says in the link above. I just go to Windows Store, and tap on the updates. As far as the Cyan update, when I go to update phone in settings it just says my phone is up to date. In Settings where you see your phone's info it says I have Lumia Black. So I don't think I have Cyan. I'm in Colorado, USA with T-Mobile.

The regular microphone works. So does my ear buds' microphone. I haven't tried a Bluetooth headset yet. It only does this on speaker phone and other apps like voice recorder.

I'm going to try all the other possible solutions again and post what happens again.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lupita72

1A Microphone is not muted.
1B Restarting the phone with the power and volume buttons held down until phone vibrated didn't help.
2 Microphone opening is not blocked. There are two microphones, one for normal phone and one for speaker phone. Neither are blocked.
3 Moving to a quieter area does not help.
4A When I set my phone to loudspeaker mode is when the other person cannot hear anything. Nothing at all, like as if the phone were muted. As soon as I turn off speaker phone they can hear me loud and clear.
4B Wired headsets work fine. The other person can hear me fine.
5 The problem is present in all calls to all numbers both received and outgoing calls.
6 Adjusting the volume keys does not help. This is true of both my phone and the other person's phone.
7 I cannot record my voice with the messaging voice recorder.
8 My system apps are up to date as far as I have updated them whenever Windows Store says I have updates.
9 I cannot seem to update from Lumia Black to Lumia Cyan for some reason.

More info. The problem seems intermittent. Most of the time the loud speaker setting's microphone does not work. But occasionally it does.

Thanks thus far!
Please use plain text.
paramour13

I appreciate your detailed response, @Lupita72 . The Lumia Cyan is still in "Under testing" status for Lumia 925 from T-Mobile that's why you can't update it yet. No worries, your phone will automatically receive a notification once it's available. Software updates are being released gradually, so we ask you to be patient. For mroe info, see this: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

You can also use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to try fixing your phone: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia925/troubleshooter/?categories=Audio%20and%20sound,S...

Let's see if this will make any improvements. 

Final Banner
Please use plain text.