Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Stuck on running gears for over 8 hours!! Nokia Lu...

franchy
Accepted Solution

Stuck on running gears for over 8 hours!! Nokia Lumia 920

I have tried to do a hard reset on TWO of the nokia lumia 920 phones we have in the house and they both are stuck on running gears for about 8 hours now and I have no clue on how to make it work anymore. It's just stuck on the same screen... running gears. Help please.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Stuck on running gears for over 8 hours!! Nokia Lumia 920

Just let the Battery run out ..Then keep on charging .. See if you get it running after 20-25 minutes ...

Else, you need to visit Nokia Care

Please use plain text.
smearp

I have the exact same problem on the exact same phone.  I (tried to) reset the phone as documented here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/basics/reset-my-phone.  The phone restarted, and has been sitting with spinning gears for about 4 hours now.  I also tried a hard reset (volume down + power + camera) and the phone just restarted and went back to the spinning gears.  Any solution short of sending the phone in for repair?

Please use plain text.
smearp

Okay, I contacted Customer Care chat. They said:

Normally, it takes only 30 minutes at most to reset it. In the event that it would take longer, like what happened here, you can press and hold both on the volume down button and power key for about 10 seconds.

The phone should then reboot. If the phone would still be stuck to spinning gears, here is a hardware reset that you need to press.

Input these keys on the following sequence, press them one key at a time:

Volume up
Volume down
Power key
Volume down

Make sure that you try this while the phone is charged. 

When I did this... the gears continued to spin for about 5 minutes, but then the phone restarted and made it back to the "Welcome to your phone" screen.  Success!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

thanks for the feedback Smearp,

someone should mark this thread as a sticky then, because it managed to get the phone out of the spinning gears loop :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Smetad_Anarkist

Hi

I'm trying to awaken my phone after it got stuck in the loop.

Did you just push the buttons like push, push, push or did you hold them down for any period of time? Did you do this during the spinning gears or during the boot when the nokia logo shows?

Please use plain text.
smearp

Hello Smetad-

I rebooted the phone by holding Volume Down + Power.  Then, when it was at the AT&T Screen I pushed the above key sequence (one at a time).  I did it again at the Nokia screen for good measure.  The Gears spinned for about 5 minutes and then it rebooted to the "new phone" startup screen.

Please use plain text.
OsborneCox

This worked for me after trying to resolve the spinning gears from a phone wipe I sent. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
skesmizio

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
faceroll

i have tried doing the above sequence at the nokia logo screen but the gears are still spinning endlessly.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Hi faceroll,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

Given the situation, I would suggest taking the device to the Nokia Care Point (NCP) for an assessment. You can see this link to check the nearest NCP in your area: www.nokia.com/support

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
XinaPower

I bought my Lumia in Saudi Arabia when i was there on a business trip, warranty there is for 1 year, the box says 1 year, the receipt says one year, when I go to the Nokia web site the info I got is that the phone is out of warranty, **bleep**... SO I am now stuck to a phone that those not hang up and now its stuck on those F.. gears. Oooo men why did I left my Iphone...
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
periwinkle28

XinaPower wrote:
I bought my Lumia in Saudi Arabia when i was there on a business trip, warranty there is for 1 year, the box says 1 year, the receipt says one year, when I go to the Nokia web site the info I got is that the phone is out of warranty, **bleep**... SO I am now stuck to a phone that those not hang up and now its stuck on those F.. gears. Oooo men why did I left my Iphone...

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. :smileyhappy:

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Regarding the warranty, are you trying to check it on http://www.nokia.com/sa-en/support/troubleshooting/warrantychecker/ ? Your phone comes with a one year warranty starting from the date of purchase provided that the phone has no physical or liquid damage and provided that you have a copy of the proof of purchase. 

You can try to contact you local Nokia support by going to http://www.nokia.com/sa-en/ , select "Contact us" for more information about the warranty policy. 

On the other hand, regarding the spinning gear that you are seeing on the screen of the phone, have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided by our communities? If yes, then you can now try doing these simple workarounds:

1- Wait till phone battery completely dies

2- Remove Sim

3- Put phone on wall charger

4- Let charger charge the phone and turn itself on automatically (do not power it on Manually)

Hope these information help.

Regards,

periwinkle28

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
atlgator

THANK YOU!

:smileyvery-happy:

Bravo! Great post. It worked for me, too...

smearp wrote:

Okay, I contacted Customer Care chat. They said:

Normally, it takes only 30 minutes at most to reset it. In the event that it would take longer, like what happened here, you can press and hold both on the volume down button and power key for about 10 seconds.

The phone should then reboot. If the phone would still be stuck to spinning gears, here is a hardware reset that you need to press.

Input these keys on the following sequence, press them one key at a time:

Volume up
Volume down
Power key
Volume down

Make sure that you try this while the phone is charged. 

When I did this... the gears continued to spin for about 5 minutes, but then the phone restarted and made it back to the "Welcome to your phone" screen.  Success!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LoneWolfe

Thank you. Thougt my phone was bricked for sure.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
slysy

Many thanks for posting the fix - worked great for me

Please use plain text.
joerobertson

[ Edited ]

PLEASE HELP 

About a month ago I was prompted on my phone that an update was available. I went to update it and it got stuck on the spinning gears for about 24 hours straight.

Methods tried: soft reset (volume down and power)

• I've tried a hard reset (volume down, power, and camera)
  • soft reset and do the volume up, down, power and down on the nokia boot screen
  • letting the battery completely die and charge it back up

I simply don't know what else to do and I really just want my lumia back up and running. It has some physical damage on the outside of the phone so AT&T won't just replace it (again, this has happened once before). Please help with any suggestions you may have and methods to try. I really just want my phone back =\ 

Thanks! 

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove references to tools mentioned which may cause unforeseen damage to the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pjmaroun

Wow.. this is a bad experience.. I've been out of a phone for two days and finally got it to work by removing the SIM and letting the battery drain.  I hope this gets fixed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shahabas

Thank you dear . it is worked for me. but i dont know how long my phone will be ok

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bsd107

My ATT 920 was stuck on the spinning gears for over 30 minutes (I've been through this before and had it go over 8 hours without stopping, so I'm not waiting).

I tried the key sequence at the spinning gears - no effect.

So I restarted with vol down + power, then entered the key sequence at the Nokia screen.  I also then tried entering the key sequence at the ATT logo screen, but the ATT logo screen disappeared really quickly after I had only got the first two keys in the sequence entered.  This makes me think that the proper time to enter the key sequence is at the Nokia logo screen.

However, after 20 minutes, still stuck on the spinning gears.....

Please use plain text.