Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Is much better than WP7 ?

Sage
angler

It is not a matter of Lumia800 of 2nd gen WP.  It is a matter of trust.  Microsoft has once claimed that there are 2 major update of WP.  I wonder if those rumor are true and WP8 when release in Sep 2012 will not include 1st gen WP.  WP from initail release and now only get 1 major update to WP7.5.  Yes, Lumia800 may get update to WP8 but don't you beleive there is another major update for this 2nd gen Snapdragon single core device?  Now different source from Microsoft begin to claim there is hardware deficiency of 1st gen WP that they cannot be update to WP8.  Microsoft has even change the kernel of WP8.  Looks like it is another history similar with WP7 did not release for WM in 2010.  This is another trick that Microsoft done to its loyal customers.  Apple at least release new IOS to its old device despite some of them are working at least performance and let its loyal customer to decide to upgrade their iphone to the new model.  This is trust what a hugh corporation should has done to its customer.

angler
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Nope Apple don't release updates to IOS for older devices at least not the 2 and 3g but as you say they have supported the 3GS with cut down updates.

What makes you think MS will cut the other devices off completely? I don't actuall think that will happen.

Also WP8 has a much broader support base with regards to single core and multicore proccessors, even supporting multiple resolutions.

Look the point here is that there is choice, Android, IOS, BBX hell even Symbian and Meego.

I am very happy with where WP is going.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

And no Symbian isn't much better that WP7.

The issues we have with Symbian sticking them onto the corperate network is a joke. Wirless constantly dropping off and exchange support **bleep**.

It's an aging OS that has layer upon layer plugged onto it. There are certain things that it does simply because of time served.

The alarm when the phones off is fairly specific. Android doesn't do that IOS doesn't do that and I'm fairly sure BBX doesn't either, I'm not entirely sure of the purpose.

WP7 is a simple OS that will appeal to the masses, ow we have Nokia on board with some stellar designs and more announcements coming up the furtures bright Lobg live WP. please lets just let the bloated and extremely clunky symbian die.

A link for some to read from The Verge an extremely pro Apple website.  http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/9/2854496/this-is-my-next-nokia-lumia-900

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

newneotoo wrote:
Nope Apple don't release updates to IOS for older devices at least not the 2 and 3g but as you say they have supported the 3GS with cut down updates.

Even iPhone3Gs can update 2 major OS upgrade to IOS5 despites some features have not put into.  Look at WP, it is what the minimum requirement by Microsoft for OEM to make the phone.  At first I believe this looks like Windows PC that I can install Windows7 into my low spec netbook.  After there are different source in website, some are Microsoft senior engineer and some are named expert in various forum: 1st generation WP may not be updated to WP8 since the hardware are not capable.  Lumia800 did not contain the latest hardware as seen in 2011, at least the processor is only 2nd gen not the 3rd gen Snapdragon.  What has Mircosoft said for the updating policy when it lauched WP?  What is it now saying (or implying) in different source about the WP8 upgrading?  Doesn't It look like when it announced WP7 in 2010 and said WP7 was written in different kernel and existed WM were in hardware not capable for WP7, does it?  Anyway I shall most likely update my Lumia800 to WP8, but I am very disappointed to what Microsoft has done to the mobile phone.

angler
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

Notwithstanding the great Microsoft and Nokia effort, WP7.5 didn't fare well at all (on the contrary sells are very low)!

The reason is that People don't like it!

Nokia Belle and Android are much better!

I own a Nokia 701 (and a Nokia E6) and I will not buy any Nokia WP phone, because I do not like it!

No micro sd card support!   :smileyindifferent:

No usb mass storage support!   :smileysad:

Why I should buy a Windows phone?!

In my opinion, if Nokia wants to return to the number one spot, it must switch to Android and Nokia Belle :smileyhappy:  , which are much better than Windows.   :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gengem

i am a  nokia fan from day one....16years ago i bought my ist nokia   and apart from one time i bought a samsung android  kept 2weeks and sent back .total disaster,  nokia has brilliant build quality  the battery power is famous and cant be beaten...  i then purchased a new nokia 701 symbian/belle etc etc   great phone good internet decent camera txtn easy had a choice of querty or t9 keypads could change font sizes.... could install font zoomer if required. good music player good storage. memory card to increase built in memory. i could fully charge my 701 and heavy usage  2days or up to 4 with light usage.   i could connect to nokia suite store my music my pics down load apps update software all so simple    nokia symbian belle carla etc etc wont die it will get stronger... sad bit:smileyhappy: i 2weeks ago sold 701 to give nokia windows a go.. wow rubbish phone  one we simple keypad the fonts so small i couldnt read or txt and no way to increse them  very boring phone. a full charge with wifi off power safer on   mmmmmmmmm  4 to 5hrs.... windows is rubbish its very clear that symbian is a far better phone... im friends with a guy in a certain mobile shop in my town and their getting 1 to 3 returns aweek of nokia lumia phones:smileyhappy:  im happy to say my nokia lumia is gone back and im waiting delivery on a new 701 again:smileyhappy:    aproper phone  i wouldnt reccomend nokia lumia to anybody     tif nokia is depending on windows to boost their profits then nokia is doomed. but in my opinion belle carla etc will go from strenght to strenght  

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

I have not in the 3 months I've owned the Lumia found anything where I've thought "wow,that is better than my E72 or my fairly basic Android".
I have thought loads of times ,oh I can do x,y and z on the Lumia but the other 2 do it better.
And I have thought loads of times,oh I can't do a,b or c on this phone and I can on the others.
I don't trust the Lumia. My battery life is now around  24-36 hours with very light use except when it randomly drops for no reason to less than 12.
If I'm away from home I have to take 1 of the others as back up. One example I will be in London on Tuesday and there's a possibility I might not catch the train home I'm booked on. Either of the spare phones will let me buy and book a ticket on another train. The Lumia won't.
The only things in its favour are it's not an iPhone and Microsoft's attempts to know all about you are marginally more acceptable than Google's. But to get a phone which fully exploits all the capabilities of a smartphone I can't see why anyone with a budget range of the Lumia would buy it rather than a top of the range Android.
I didn't pay for my Lumia and with my spare Android I can put up with its shortcomings.I think I'd be very disappointed if I had bought it. Thankfully although the Android uses a full size sim the SIM holder keeps the microsim in place.

Please use plain text.
benrumson

I live in U.S.   Nokia 808 Symbian is not coming this "freemarket" continent.  We will be stuck with Windows Tango.  No SD cards for Windows... Forced to use ZUNE for music.  This means the cellphone will need to sync with PC or pay for phone downloads.  SD card allows for uncomplicated  removal of photos and music.  What if phone is lost and you did not backup (nighltly) onto a pc?  I suppose that the "telecommunications ecosystem" is the future, but I would prefer Nokia ecosystem rather than Microsoft, Apple, Google ecosystem. 

Is 808 Symbian  "locked out" of ATT/T-Mobile?

PS.  An external SD slot on that 808 is the only flaw on a stunning cameraphone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jakobeymart

[ Edited ]

Nokia Drive doesn't work offline, there is a trick round this though, it open up then push home (leaving nokia drive open in background) and go to phone settings to turn off data connection. You can then resume Nokia Drive and it will continue to work with no data connection or wi-fi. 

Nokia are aware of this and there is an updated version arriving very soon with full offline mode and several other features like speed limit warnings and more.

Are you sure it will run in the background? I think navigation turns off when you leave the app.

Do you have any more info on the update? When is it coming?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
eaglehelang

[ Edited ]

WP may be simple OS but the Lumia series has these drawbacks :
1) No SD Card, for easy transfer of files
2) No USB on the go or even USB mass storage
3) No flash
Everything is Zune, similar to Iphone. That'll cost a bomb in data rates. Nokia Symbian phones have all the above, plus a full sized sim.
So, in future when WP is the sole OS with the current restrictions, no, loyal Nokia fans wouldnt "get used to it", we'll just get other brands. Just look at Symbian market share & compare with WP market share is enough. WP's market share is less than even Bada

Please use plain text.
AfshiSpeaks

[ Edited ]

I would argue that the music player in WP7 is not on par with iOS, it's better. Last I checked you had no built-in iTunes streaming directly to your iPhone and purchasing albums required you to physically sync your phone with your computer.

Of course this was a while ago, so it could have changed.

Afshispeaks

http://www.afshispeaks.com/
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Nokia Drive will continue to work in background, navigation stops if you close the app. The method I described above works.

iTunes does allow direct downloads and streaming from the cloud.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jakobeymart

@kevgallacher

Oh yes, it works!
However, it would be wonderful to have an updated version soon with real offline navigation and some more options. Currently it always wants to take me to motorways, which usually doubles the distance when I want to use it within a city.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

Yeah I find some of the directions it gives you seems to be the main busiest roads.

It's good for if you are lost but it't not the fastest route by a long shot.

Where I live I know some fo the best ways out of the city but Nokia Drive insists on taking me along main roads which is useless in rush hour, it also tells me to go in the wrong direction at times making the distance longer due to choosing main routes. We need different choices like avoid motorway or shortest route.

Don't know when the update is coming they said at MWC that it would be available in the next few days but it's been 2 weeks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
r2504

Seems this topic is way of-topic... but Nokida Drive 2.0 is announced for week 12 (so next week).

And BTW... Symbian is way more advanced as Windows Phone (which hardly deserves a beta label), the only problem with Symbian was that it didn't look sexy enough.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have been using Nokia only since 1996, I did not switch to IPhones or Android because off-line navigation of Nokia Drive. I'm disappointed with Lumia 800.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too many APPs can not run in the background or full off line, including essential APPs like Nokia Map, Nokia Drive, SportTraker, . . . Microsoft should not assumed there's data connection available everywhere.

Moderator's note: The title of the post edited.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
south01

I seriously think the Windows Lumina is the best phone ive had, better than symbian and kills my iphone which is a work phone, i love my Lumina, i got the 710 and will get the next batch of Windows nkia when they come.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

They should have released Symbian device in N9/Lumia 800 form factor, and with improved camera, they would have sold them a lot more...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gengem

having tried a windows nokia 710 for a few days i was releived i got a refund and now im back to a nokia 701 symbian or belle whatever it is cald lol... i charged my 701 thursday night past have sent roughly 160 txts about 60 mins calls about 60 mins internet and 2 adays later im still at 50 percent battery.... windows. android what a joke nokia produce a good strong sturdy phone windows will flop and the quicker the better
Please use plain text.