Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Symbian Is much better than WP7 ?

blurryfox

Symbian Is much better than WP7 ?

[ Edited ]

I been  with nokia since 1999 , never complain about the products , the hardware always good , the menu is one of the best.

I moved to windows phone 7.5 OS just few days ago... I found I miss my nokia N8 and symbian Belle system, here is why:

1. Fisrt of all I can not sync my data from Nokia Symbian to Nokia Windows Phone 7.5.

2. Can not send files via bluetooth to WP7.

3. Zune Is useless , Why not Nokia Suite support!?

4. Belle OS Intreface way much better than WP7.

5. No profile in WP7 , I used to make a timed silence profile everyday.

6. More free apps & games in Ovi store than Market place.

7. Nokia Maps in WP7 is not half good as in Nokia Symbian Belle.

8. Battery life not good comparing to others nokia phones.

9. Nokia Drive Can only be used in online mode !! why can not be in offline mode?

10. GPS always point I am at wrong location but somehow near.

11. No Mass Storage via USB.

Anyone here regret moving from Nokia Symbian Over Nokia WP7 Phones ?

Why nokia killing Symbian OS ? Don't they know they are killing their own customers along with it?:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Re: Symbian Is much better than WP7 ?

[ Edited ]

I moved away from Symbian after the N97 and went over to Maemo, then Android and finally WP 7.5

I quite like WP. OK there are a few issues but it's a new OS so teething problems are to be expected.

It wasn't that long ago (around the time of the N97) that people were questioning Nokias decision to cling onto Symbian with it being a 'dying and outdated' OS

ref some of your points

3. Zune is used because of the Mocrosoft OS, it's the same with all Manufacturers. LG, HTC, Nokia are all using Zune. I agree that some things are missing from it. The ability to backup and restore data etc

4. I think this is all down to personal taste. I was unsure of the Interface at first after coming over from Android with all of its flashy widgets and wallpapers but i've grown to like it. It's clean, smooth and easy to use.

5. This was an issue with Android but there were apps available for those that wanted this feature. Maybe Microsoft are going down the same route, Maybe it will be a feature brought in at a later date.

Microsoft do have a site where you can give feedback and offer feature suggestions

6. Not too sure about this. There seems to be a lot of apps available to WP with a large selection of free ones

7. Never experienced any real issue with Nokia Maps on WP. only slight complaint is No Offline Navigation.

8. Think of what the phone is doing though. always online connection, syncing email, social media, apps and tiles syncing. any phone battery will suffer. Even the Jesus phone. I can still get a good day out of my Lumia

9. I believe offline Navigation will come in a future update

10. Never had an issue with GPS Location. Always been quick to locate and accurate. Maybe you have a faulty handset

11. I agree this is a hassle. Again, there are rumours that this will be addressed in a future update (probably WP8), along with being able to expand the memory with MicroSD cards

At the end of the Day, it all comes down to personal preferences though

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ILuvSymbian_Sb

I still love Symbian..i still love NOKIA!
That's a kinda relation that i ever have with Nokia!
Symbian being such a big OS platform, and doing good in the business coming to an disastrous end now..feels really sad..
And i'm confused with the issue that whether i should go with Nokia 701 aka Helen or the Nokia Lumia 800??!!
Can yu guys suggest me which phone should i choose?!
Please reply asap! i'm in a great need.!! I'll be glad if you suggest me the best choice!:smileyhappy:
thanks in advance.:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

I agree on a few points, I still feel like I use a Nokia, not a WP7 device, and I think that is the problem.
People still like to think of the Lumia as a Nokia device, even though almost all of the limitations are due to WP7, I don't know if it was a good idea after all, they just should have sticked with Meego.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

1. Fisrt of all I can not sync my data from Nokia Symbian to Nokia Windows Phone 7.5.

They are completely different systems.  What did you expect?

2. Can not send files via bluetooth to WP7.

Havn't tried so I cant comment.

3. Zune Is useless , Why not Nokia Suite support!?

Zune is not useless.  It does what it's supposed to do.

4. Belle OS Intreface way much better than WP7.

Again, It's a completely different system  Get used to WP7 because Belle is being canned (as it should)

5. No profile in WP7 , I used to make a timed silence profile everyday.

I agree profiles are little basic in WP7.  You can only have "Loud" "Vibrate" and "SIlent"  This needs to be addressed by Microsoft.

6. More free apps & games in Ovi store than Market place.

Market Place hasnt been around half as long as the Ovi store.  This should be obvious...

7. Nokia Maps in WP7 is not half good as in Nokia Symbian Belle.

Don't think so bud.

8. Battery life not good comparing to others nokia phones.

We know.  It's being addressed.  Try reading the forums first.

9. Nokia Drive Can only be used in online mode !! why can not be in offline mode?

Never had this issue.  It works fine for me.  Maybe you havn't downloaded the needed map pack?

10. GPS always point I am at wrong location but somehow near.

Give it time to find you.

11. No Mass Storage via USB.

Mass storage is possible with a registry hack for.  Just google it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

AndehX wrote:

Never had this issue.  It works fine for me.  Maybe you havn't downloaded the needed map pack?

Nokia Drive doesn't work offline, there is a trick round this though, it open up then push home (leaving nokia drive open in background) and go to phone settings to turn off data connection. You can then resume Nokia Drive and it will continue to work with no data connection or wi-fi. 

Nokia are aware of this and there is an updated version arriving very soon with full offline mode and several other features like speed limit warnings and more.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

I have decided the Nokia 701 for my daily and nightly life after testing Lumia 800 and Nokia 701 for almost a month.

Why?

To many things that I love about Nokia 701 Belle, but for example:

- Removable battery

- Adjustible fonts with app font zoomer as fonts even on lumia 800 is so tiny in for example facebook. Screens are getting bigger but the fonts on every phone are so small that it may destroy your eyes in time. This is very important indeed. Nokia should take this seriosly and other makers of phones. Higg resolution screens could actually damage your eyes in time. Watch out for this!

- Very nice one-hand-executions with perfect balance in your hand

- No lack of sound quality with voice calls and music listening

- Screen size is enough for video streaming and the screen is bright and crispy

- Possibilty to  automatically record beep free voice calls

- Full functionality syncing outlook, contacts, todo, notes and calender with or without cable (funambol. Microsoft office 365)

- Microsoft mobile office now

- Very good to customize time adjustmented profiles

- Fast enough overall for opening email, webb surfing and so on (soon 1,3 ghz upgrade also)

- Sorting applications in folders

- Calender good enough (using app coming next for visibilty on screen)

- The app Nokia Sleeping screen and Notification light for missed sms and calls. Apps for missed emails and...popup for sms und so weiter

- even the video cam and photo shooter is almost and sometimes even better than Lumias..strange but that is my impression. The lack of autofocus doesnt bother me at all.

- send sms through nokia suite connected by bluetooth and using keyboard is not important but nice..

Costs about Euro220 from Germany (www.hoh.de). Lumia 800 is about Euro 310. Better go for Nokia Lumia 710 I think...

Nokia 701 Belle is a bargain, the best value ever for a Nokia phone that capable...I do recomend it indeed. You can even get the bluetooth set Nokia Essence BH-610 and the Nokia 701 for the same money as for one Lumia 800

Lumia 800 is very fast and certainly will attract users in common.

For me, not for the moment. It is simply not overall better.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

It hurts my head trying to make sense of that last post. Most if the stuff I haven't got a clue.

"bleep free voice calls"??
"perfect balance in your hand"??
"Nokia Sleeping screen and Notification light"??
"higg resolution"?

What do these things mean?

Did you mean high res? How does that hurt your eyes? The screen quality is fine, iPhone 4 is better but wp7 is good enough.
Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

Definitely yes if Nokia has continued to transmit Symbian with Meego.  Unfortunalely after the cooperation agreement WP will not help Nokia.  When I bought Lumia 800 in Dec 2011, I firstly praised WP is a good decision for Nokia.  Recently I read a lot of post there are many uncertainty that Microsoft will not allow 1st gen WP to update to WP8.  I surprise that once MS has claimed there are 2 major update for WP.  Some poster excuse that the hardware deficiency make 1st gen WP cannot get WP8 update.  Some poster excuse the different kernel.  I only remember what Microsoft has done the same with Window Mobile in 2010.

angler
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Fonts are fine too, if you have a problem reading it, get your eyes tested, there are things called glasses that can fix that for you.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

If you dont want to understand than it is your problem. High resolution, sorry for not spelling correctly. I am writing on the keyboard of the phone.
The font adjustment is clearly a must for many people even without any sight problems. I can easily mange that on 701, not on Lumia.
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

It's not that I am choosing to not understand it's just some of your points don't make sense.

Has this been translated from another language? It reads like a translation.

"Calender good enough (using app coming next for visibilty on screen)"

"The app Nokia Sleeping screen and Notification light for missed sms and calls. Apps for missed emails and...popup for sms und so weiter"

what does "using app coming next" mean? "und so weiter" is this German? = (and so on..., etc)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

Ok. I dont have the time and resources to be a writer that can be to your assistence.

Look up my name and click on some former threads that I am participate in.

I guess that you havent used Nokia Belle at all.

Belle is far more customable than Lumia WP. It is very good (as I have written before) but there is many things that I miss so, Nokia Belle 701 is better for people who need overall more controll over some things.

Here is a example of useful application..

http://Nokia Sleeping Screen makes your phone stand out from the crowd by painting beautifully craft...

My languages are swedish, german, spanish and english. Native language is swedish. I dont use any translator apps or whatever. Anyhow, I like Lumia but the system is lacking many small features. I cant explain everything in details. My opinions are after many many...and many hours of testing many OS and even phones. My conclusion is that Nokia 701 is by far superior to Lumia regarding overall usage as working tool. I still think more than 75% of all "average users" will be very happy with next upgrade of WP, as Tango the name will be.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Regarding font size in apps like Facebook, its up to the app developer to choose which font and size they want. In IE you can zoom in and out as you please or you can go into landscape mode. Also there are wp7 devices out there with larger screens - HTC HD7, Lumia 900. If people do have problems with the font the options are there.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

You call another device an option? lol
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

For wp7, yes the choice of phone is an option you are not forced to take a phone you don't want.
Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

kevgallacher wrote:
Is this forum English language or just translated from another language?

What is the purpose of this post?  Did this relate to the post theme?  I think forum moderator should have edited this post because it is discriminated to the post starter.

We all have right to state our opinion that some other OS are better than WP.  I bought WP because I have used Windows Mobile for 10 years and beleive WP may evolve from now the half-baked OS to a better one like IOS evolvein the past 5 generation.  Current uncertainty that Microsoft seem not willing to let those 1st Gen WP to get update to WP8.  Symbian phone has proven successful history than IOS and WP.

angler
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

First of all this post was not aimed at the OP and is not discriminatory, please do not start accusing me of such.

If you read the rest of the thread I think it's pretty obvious I was talking about the comment from Ztuka and to be honest it was sort of about your comment too:

"Definitely yes if Nokia has continued to transmit Symbian with Meego. Unfortunalely after the cooperation agreement WP will not help Nokia. When I bought Lumia 800 in Dec 2011, I firstly praised WP is a good decision for Nokia. Recently I read a lot of post there are many uncertainty that Microsoft will not allow 1st gen WP to update to WP8. I surprise that once MS has claimed there are 2 major update for WP. Some poster excuse that the hardware deficiency make 1st gen WP cannot get WP8 update. Some poster excuse the different kernel. I only remember what Microsoft has done the same with Window Mobile in 2010."

Some of the language used in these comments are strange and is hard to understand. I was simply asking if people were speaking English or if it was translated. I have no idea if your are English, French, Indian, Chinese or whatever, I was just curious. In Ztuka's comment there are words that look like they are German ("und so weiter") so I was just asking if it was native English or not.

Secondly no this post doesn't relate to the theme of the post, it is off topic (but the theme of this post was never great anyway, it's an unfair comparison using some unjust points), I don't want to turn this into a flame war so sorry if I have caused offence.

Please use plain text.
blurryfox

I think WP OS were made to be simple , It is more than simple now , missing many functions... Funny once I set my Alarm and switched off my mobile , in the morning the alarm didn't work ... Then I discovered that the alarm dose not work while the mobile is switched off.

You Can not make Draft message and send it later on ?!! No folders in messages so you have to install an app to help you.:smileysad:

If Nokia Lumia 710 & 800 phone wont be updated to WP8 with MUCH Improvements , I am sure then many people will be turning around from WP OS to another OS.

Really I am thinking now and waiting for Nokia Pureview 808 , Looks Amazing & same old Belle I love.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RicardoDawkins

@angler
Nokia Lumia phones are all 2nd gen WP devices. What is the issue?
Please use plain text.