I bought my first smartphone ever from Nokia because of the turn by turn, offline navigation cappabilities, an 5800 XpressMusic, and I instantly became a fan. My old phone was running short for me mainly because of lack of memory, so I decided to buy a Lumia phone, but I am really disapointed for the lack of basic features my old symbian phone did have and the new lumia does not:
The Nokia Maps & Drive on my symbian was far more complete:
1) in the new one there are no favorites in the Drive app, and the favorites from the Maps app can't be used on the Drive app
2) I can't send a link by email or sms with a link to a place as I could with symbian
3) I can't use the addresses on my address book to start nokia maps
4) I can't select a destination on the map, just by search, and in my country (Venezuela) the maps have very few POIs registered, so if I want to go to a building that is near a known POI, I can't search for the POI and then edit the destination to establish my real destination.
The contact list or "People Hub" is so restrained:
5) I can't add 2 mobile phones to a contact, or 2 home phones
6) I can't edit the label of a phone number
Basically no ringtone profiles
7) I can't set "Never Ignore" groups or contacts, wich was very useful when you are in a meeting but you have a child sick at home, or if you are away and want to sleep without the phone beeping at night but need to be reachable for an emergency at home.
8) No easy way to have "Outdoor", "Normal", "Silence" or custom profiles.
I was very excited to have my new Lumia, but now I'm soo disapointed, I'm thinking of selling it and buying an N8, (and if it wasn't for the offline cappabilities of Nokia Maps & Drive, I'd go for an Android phone)
PLEASE let me know if these isues will be resolved on future updates or if I should sell my phone and buy a good old symbian N8
Another things I miss are:
9) Being able to send a picture via bluetooth, it was useful when going to a print kiosk
10) having the alphanumeric keyboard with predictive text (very useful to write with just 1 hand)
Thanks for your reply but:
Will try to answer a few Questions If I Can
1) Under Nokia Drive - Navigation Options > Set Destination > Last Destination will least your last used destinations (sort of favourites)
I still can't import my old favorites if they are not near a POI or put a meaningful name to those adresses, so using the history list is not a solution...
3) If you click on the address in your contacts its will take you to the maps then hit the 'Arrow' for directions.
That won't take you to the nokia maps, but bing maps, wich has no offline support.
5) Go to the contact you want to add numbers . while in the contact info hit the 'PEN (EDIT)' button and hit the plus sign on phone to add more numbers same with the email and ringtone and stuff.
There is only one mobile field, if you try to add a second mobile number it will rewrite the first one
6) Again under the contacts and edit you can change the label albeit only from one of the built in ones, you cant type your own.
I ment custom labels (like "beach house", or "evening work")
7) Ringtone Profiles are so Last Year, you press the volume button either up or down and can quickly change to vibrate and vice versa..
It may be last year but as I wrote is really useful when you don't want to be disturbed but you have someone at home or work who has an emergency.
Hope I have been able to answer at least a few of your problems
ENJOY YOUR WP7
I am myself a 5800XM converted to lumia 800 guy.
There are many things that symbian could do that wp7.5 can't, but overall perfomance, day to day, WP wins. My 5800 lags forever to just show the menus! . the "not enough memory" message prevent me to do web browsing and not even a full reset will improve that.
regarding to the GPS apps, symbian is better, the music/video player is better too, dialer, etc., but overall i'm pretty satisfied with the L800. Hope it gets WP8 and with that all the missing stuff.
I hope they fix those issues on WP8 and that we can update to the new OS.
Are we able to upgrade to WP8? I'm not so sure as MS and Nokia have so far refused to comment and there are rumbings online that there will be no upgrade. I hope MS or Nokia can make an announcement to dispel our doubts or a negative inference will be drawn from silence.