Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Tethering?

glenhojer

Tethering?

I am considering buying this phone, and I was just wondering if it was possible to use the lumia 800 as a modem for your laptop, so that you can use the 3g internet connection on the phone as an internet connection for your laptop.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LandoftheRich

Great question. I can tether with my symbian phone using the app Joikuspot. Can anyone from Nokia confirm that the windows phones will have this important capability?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
ThreeOs

@glenhojer & @LandoftheRich - Modem usage/tethering is not supported with Lumia 710/800 devices.

-ThreeOs

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LandoftheRich

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, not being able to tether is very disappointing news and frankly a deal-breaker for me. Still, I wish Nokia the best of luck and promise to reconsider buying a Nokia WP device if tethering becomes available in the future.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm not getting it then. Mango is supposed to have this. Is it a hardware thing like on the Dell Venue pro? Might opt for a HTC Titan instead, which has the feature.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GGPlena

FAIL :smileymad:

I have already placed a pre-order for a Lumi 800 that I now have to cancel.

I use tethering maybee 1-2 times a month...but those times I really need it. Such a stupid thing to do in order to fulfill some requirements from some telco operators.

It should be included in the phone! Let the operators block this in the net instead if they feel that they need it! My plan covers tethering...

Please re-think this!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bargaintoaster

This is very disappointing! Are there any plans in the future to enable tethering?

Please use plain text.
Soosan

[ Edited ]

Is this in regards to the Wifi hotspot function, the wired tethering function or both?

Because as far as I understand Windows Phone serving as a wifi hotspot should be a standard function as long as the hardware supports it (which it does), the drivers are available (which they should be) and the operator is ok with it.

Please use plain text.
Soosan

What a difference a couple of hours can make :smileyhappy:

http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-working-on-lumia-800-software-update-to-enable-internet-sharing/

Internet sharing through Wifi coming up.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

On htc radar with mango it has internet sharing in settings. Is this facility for tethering?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
harlekin

It just amazes me what kind of functionality is missing in a top modern phone with a top modern operating system.
For me it was plain clear that I can use my Lumina 800 as a modem together with my laptop when I'm in the train, in a waiting room or wherever I want to connect.
And I do not mean sharing a Wifi, because if there is Wifi, I do not need the phone being able to share it, then I can use the laptop directly.

Now I'm puzzeled and need to buy a sim adapter so I can use my old Windows 6.5 phone as a modem and sell the Lumina on eBay.

Let us hope that neither Nokia nor Microsoft does not forget to include phone capabilities into their next phone.

It is just ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seventeenAPG

But I wish Mr ThreeOs would come tell us the whole gambit on this  and not jus leave it that it is unavailable. Many of us WP7 fanboys know that tethering is available on many WP7 phones but not on Nokia YET. I have read where Elop has been quoted as saying  that for legal reasons it cannot be offered yet but it will be coming to Nokia Lumias. So please Mr Nokia can you confirm this to us?? It may bring nmore customers to you who will wait for the feature instead of losing them to your competition.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Yep tethering is available on Mango and some manufacturers (HTC and Samsung) have enabled it. There is absolutely no reason why Lumia can't tether and as I understand it it is on it's way.

Please use plain text.