Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: The dialer in lumia 800 is missing key critica...

cestla

The dialer in lumia 800 is missing key critical features!

I have had my Lumia800 for about 5 months now, and I am not happy.

Previously I have owned both Iphones and android phones, and WP7.5 - or Lumia800 - is way way behind these phones on even very simple features.

I could mention a whole list of key features that I am missing, but I will restrain myself to the dialer and some privacy issues, since they are for sure driving me back to the competitors on my next phone purchase.

Dialer:

The dialer in Lumia800 is featurewise at the level of a 1995 phone.

A simple feature such as presenting the last digits of a previously dialed number - when the phone is trying to guess what you are dialing - or being able to seek a number in your list from the alphabetic keys, is something i have buy an app to get. This should - as a minimum - have been included as standard at launch date!!!

I was even expecting some  new and innovtive features as well!

Also. When somebody allready in my list has called me, I only see the name in the "recent calls" list. If the name has 3 phone numbers attached to it - like Home, Work and Cell - it is not possible to see which of these numbers that person called me from. So when I try to return the call, I sometimes end up having to dial all 3 of them before I get hold of them.

Now, that is just plain stupid.

Also, it takes way way to many interactions with the phone to even get to the phone app - which simply MUST be the killer app on a mobile phone.

Privacy!

To my very big suprice and anger, all my phone numbers were automatically put on the internet, without my knowledge - when i transferred them from my Android HTC. I only accidently found out.

Now, I dont care wether it is supposed to be an accoount that only I can access, since we all know how good the hackers are. I simply have absolutely NO interest in having my contacts, photos, sms's or ANY other stuff from my phone ANYWHERE on the internet.

That I cannot put a contact into my phone without having it synchronised to the internet is nothing less but a scandal.You consider it a feature. I consider it a serious breach of and attack on my privacy!

On even the newest Iphones I can synchronise directly between my PC and my outlook or any other contact management system with an Iphone interface made for it - without being connected to the internet at all.

Why in heavens name can I not do that on a NOKIA Windows phone????

NOKIA, make it happen!

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
reefboss

Re: The dialer in lumia 800 is missing key critical features!

I totally agree with your criticisms. This has got to be the worst phone I've ever used.

I've only had the phone a few days and I've had nothing but regrets.

Nokia, I won't even thank you like cestla.

Get your act together

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi cestla,

Thanks for posting and Welcome.

You raise a number of questions on making calls with the Lumia. The first I can see how that might be desirable for some, I suggest your visit this site to make your request known.

The second point is actually implemented. When you look at the call history you will see the callers name (or number if the name is not known) and on the line below that the call status, call data and the number used. If you select the entry to re-dial it will use the same number used for the original call.

The number of actions needed to setup a call depend on which way you choose to do this.

Call tile on startpage > Keypad Icon > Enter number

People tile on startpage > Select person to call > Select number to call

Press and hold START > Press speak > say 'CALL Pete Mobile'  (speech functionality depends on localized availability)

As to your comments on contact information there are options available for keeping these offline. For instance you can use a Google account to copy the contacts to your  phone, then set the account to not sync contacts (and/or calendar) with Google and remove them from the online account. You can also choose to use a (private) Exchange server.

Also I assume you are aware that most if not all other smartphones like iOS, Android and Symbian devices will synchronize your contacts and/or calendar information to their cloudservice just like Windows Phone does with Windows Live.

While I can understand ones reservations to some extend it is a much more convenient way of synchronizing as it will not require you to have access to your PC and keep your contacts and calendars in sync 24/7 without required interaction in a secure enviroment.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lenaye

Although I agree in principle of your comment:

"The second point is actually implemented. When you look at the call history you will see the callers name (or number if the name is not known) and on the line below that the call status, call data and the number used. If you select the entry to re-dial it will use the same number used for the original call."

In reality, this is not satisfactory. I know that many people, like myself, have more than 1 mobile phone and I have not been able to figure out a way on my Lumia to customise the label to say 'Mobile work' or 'Mobile personal' of a contact.

So, what happened is when I view the call history, I can see the person name, the data/time of the last call and the word 'Mobile', and if that person have 2 mobile nos I have no way of knowing which mobile no. was last used. See attached.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi leneye,

thanks for posting!

The last entry in the call history corresponds to the contact's phone number entry. These can be:

mobile, home, home 2, work, work 2, company, pager, home fax or work fax

As an example you might use 'mobile' for personal mobile numbers and 'company' for work mobile numbers. An additional mobile would be either 'home 2' or 'work 2'. So you will always know which number the person calling was using and selecting the history entry will use that number to return the call.

I understand that what you are referring to is the ability to change the naming of these entries. IF you wish you could make this suggestion known through this link

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
cestla

Kosh

Thank you for your reply!

I have no idea why I havent been able to see that it says what phonenumber my contacts were calling from, other than that the font used is relatively too small and not clear in contrast colour. I have, as I said, had the phone for 5 months and I have normal eye vision. It has simply skipped me blank that it allready says that.

Since I have completely missed that information line for so long, I suggest your usability ppl go for a smaller font size on the phone number or contact name, so that 1) the visual list off call history can be longer, and 2) the info-line beneath the name or number is more readable and stand out in comparison.

As with the other solutions you are suggesting, they are simply too much effort and work. I see absolutely no reason why Microsoft skipped the synchronisation tool for WP7 other than that they want to force everybody into the cloud.

I personally have no interest in the cloud, and I know positively that it is keeping many of my friends and relatives from buying a WP7 phone.

Think about it!

If demand is consistent It is in your interest to supply NOKIA users with the synchronisation tool nescessary to be able to synchronise like we have ALWAYS done before - eg by USB cable or Bluetooth directly between the PC and the phone.

Synchronisation over the web to SBS servers is for companies and businesses who have that need and money, since it is also a very costly service to run a server.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi cestla,

Thanks again for your post.

While I can understand reservations concerning the use of online services I would like to point out that all modern smartphones, including iPhone,  Android and Symbian system use an internet storage or sync location for contacts and other data. So as far as this goes Windows Phone is not different from other systems.

While you argue that a hardlink for synchronizing data offline is preferable to you others would argue that it is in fact the lesser solution as it will require you have access to your PC or Mac at all times and will need to connect the phone to sync. It will also mean that if something would happen to your phone any data created or changed since the last sync will be lost.

The solution as offered in Windows Phone will ask for a one time setup and be in sync 24/7 regardless of your location or whether or not you have access to your PC or Mac. When you are on a trip and additions or changes you make are instantly synchronized and  as your home system starts up this data will be available on it. Except for an initial setup no further requirement but an internet connection is needed.

I understand that this would be a change of mindset for many who are used to the online method it is a seamless and effortless solution which keeps your data both in sync and safely backed up in case something happens to your phone. And again, all modern smartphones use an online service one way or another to store personal data on your phone and use an online account which is required for you to use all features of the phone.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Kosh wrote:

While you argue that a hardlink for synchronizing data offline is preferable to you others would argue that it is in fact the lesser solution as it will require you have access to your PC or Mac at all times and will need to connect the phone to sync.

When you admit that there are people who prefer the non-cloud option, why not offer them the desired functionality as an existing option instead of deciding for your customers what is best for them and forcing it down their throats. I have several non-WP handheld devices and NONE of them force me to use exclusively a cloud option for syncing.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi 93tid,

At this point Windows Phone does not support offline synchonisation of contacts or calendar. A request for such, or any other, feature can be made or supported at the Windows Phone features suggestion site which you will find here.

Kosh

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Android and Symbian do not store contacts in the cloud unless you want them to.

If I create a new contact on my Android phone I cn save it to my gmail account or simply to the phone. Symbian simply saves to to phone anddoes not sync contacts to Ovi unless asked to. Lumia cannot save any new contact unless you add it to a live account or a gmail account.  I don't like this at all.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

I just wanted to add to the 2nd point.

If you have a missed call from a contact who has several numbers, from the history list,  if you press the little telephone icon in a circle to the left of the persons name, the phone will instantly dial the number that was missed instead of taking you to their contact card. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

caitlin1759 wrote:

Android and Symbian do not store contacts in the cloud unless you want them to.

If I create a new contact on my Android phone I cn save it to my gmail account or simply to the phone. Symbian simply saves to to phone anddoes not sync contacts to Ovi unless asked to. Lumia cannot save any new contact unless you add it to a live account or a gmail account.  I don't like this at all.

Having Online/Storing contacts online has it's advantages. Lose your phone and you can remote wipe it and still have the latest contact information. Upgrade or replace your phone and it takes as much as entering a username/password to get your phone back up and running with all your contacts.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

That's not the point. Storing contacts in the cloud is an optional extra on Android or Symbian,not compulsory.

Please use plain text.
Professor

I'm sure "the hackers" have zero interest in your contact list.

Breaking news: anonymous phone all contacts from random guys hotmail account.

Stop complaining, if they didn't back up yo the cloud...its clear that you would be on here complaining that you lost all your contacts and they NEED to be stored online. Nobody can win with people like you
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

I don't know what I'm reading here, is it that your contacts are backed up online in the cloud that's the problem or that you can't do a local back up?

To store in the cloud is a much better option surely? You get to keep all your contacts if you have a PC crash they are very secure online and the convenience when getting a new phone has to be a good thing yes?

To be worried about a 'hacker' getting your contacts list is frankly rediculous you honestly believe this same info couldn't be pulled from your web connected PC then that is naive.

I don't come to this support group as much as I used to because it's just a place for people to as a whole to whinge about a feature that maybe on Android or Iphone or Symbian... Here's a clue, do some research, check to see if this OS is the right one for you if not don't buy into it there are plenty od options out there.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I'm not worried about hacking.I'm irritated by yet another example of the inflexibility of this system,yet another thing to add to the list of things this phone can't do.
As for research, where exactly other than user experience am I going to find this out? I was an early buyer of this phone ,I was expecting it to do things differently not that many basic ,standard phone features would be missing.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Are you in the UK? If so you have a cooling off period, for example I got a Galaxy s 2 had it for 2 weeks no matter how much I tried I hated it, it just wasn't for me... Guess what, I sent it back no muss no fuss.

WP7 is designed to be as simple as possible for the lay person Android on the other hand is for the tweekers. Which ever way we look at it cloud storage is the future, perhaps the local functionality should've been included but this is the first time I've seen it complained about.

The OS is new and maybe there will be more changes down the line but to say that online sync is a broken feature for me is wrong.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Are you forgetting that this is not the first windows phone......? And all this info was available before this phone was released...no, before it was announced
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

This is the future, maybe Microsoft is going into it too fast for some but in the next few years, you're going to see more and more development into cloud based storage across all enviroments. Cloud based storage isn't about getting control of the user, it's about centralizing resources across platforms without the costs/headaches of having your own server. There are a lot of advantages to it, When windows it comes out, you login and have access to all the same contacts, if you get a tablet, same contacts...you can also choose to share resources. A friend of mine has a WP7 device as does his wife, they share the same calander. If he or his wife puts in a calander event, they both see it........

Don't know how old some of you guys are but this reminds me of the same argument that went on when people were switching from BBS to Internet :smileyhappy:

With that said, to each their own and lot of people have been asking for direct sync to Outlook, this is something we will probably see in a future update (Win8)....Though it's surpising how many people use Outlook client original designed to just be a client to exchange on its own...

newneotoo: btw, Android is not for tweakers, it just needs to be tweaked to try to get that mess right :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@Shoey5

:smileyvery-happy:

It's a right pain in the **bleep**, my other half has an android phone and yes you have to meddle to get it working right and I work in IT support. If anyone asks me I have been pointing them in the direction WP7 it just works, it's bringing fully functional out of the box smart phones to the masses. 

Please use plain text.