Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Time and Date on my Lumia getting Reset after Ever...

Contributor
b4ndt

Time and Date on my Lumia getting Reset after Every Restart

Each time I restart my phone, it loses the current date and time and set's it to some apparent random day. This last time it chose the 16th of May 2012.

I took delivery of it yesterday and it's been fully charged. I've set the Date+time to 'Set Automatically' to 'On'

Anyone else having this issue/ knows how to fix it?

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Re: Time and Date on my Lumia getting Reset after Every Restart

Try switching "set automatically" to off.
It shouldn't change the date
Please use plain text.
Contributor
b4ndt

Thank you. One would think that doing so would solve my particular problem. Alas, no. I've tried everything I can possibly think of including;

• Setting the date and time manually. - still gets reset after restart.
  • Resetting the phone to factory settings. - Trying both 'Set automatically' and manually.
  • Applying the latest update to the phone through Zune on my Windows 7 machine
  • Going to the 02 store and speaking to a 'Guru' and letting him 'have a go'
  • Chatting online to an 02 'Guru'

To date, nothing has solved the problem.

I can only but think that the phone and/or Operating System is defective.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grathies

I am having exactly the same problem with my Lumia, I bougth the phone last Friday (23rd) and noticed the next day, the explanation from my mate who works for the phone shop was "New phones do that"

Its well annoying, I like to charge my phone fully before going to bed then turning it off to save the battery for the next day and be worken up by my phones alarm still, as the time get reset Im unable to do this so either have to leave my phone charging all night or risk having a low battery by the time I get to work

Its like the internal battery for memory doesnt work

Please use plain text.
Contributor
b4ndt

That's  interesting. I'm kinda relieved in a way. Perhaps we've been given phones from a bad batch. Since I posted, I've;

1. Spoken to account representatives in person at the windows phone division and they've never seen this problem. Their assertion was that the specific phone was dodgy.
  2. Spoken to a engineering trainer for the windows phone division and they've *never* seen this problem. Their assertion was that the phone was dodgy
  3. Tried rebooting other Lumias and not witnessed this phenomenon.
  4. Sent the phone back to dial-a-phone as I'm still in the cooling off period.

It's a shame really. I was super stoked to get the phone.Great out of the box experience, great startup experience great looking phone and that's about it, I'm afraid.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yaldenski

This morning my Lumia decided it was 1980, second time late for work thanks to my Lumia which I've been anxiously waiting for for soooo long... I'm not amused :-( Looks like I found a new job for my iPhone though

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slpearson

Took delivery of new Lumia 800 on Orange UK on 27th April 2012 and have same problem.

Notice, after you set the date + time manually, then switch back to Auto you then return to previous screen, you briefly go into Flight Mode, then 'no network', then it finds Orange.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fsx_edi

Same problem here (Lumia 800 on O2 UK), I've thought my Lumia was faulty and sent it back for a replacement,  got new phone yesterday and the problem still exists.

It must be the Nokia Phone or Windows System defective.

Please use plain text.
Dvamber

The same problem here. This is very annoying as i travel freqently by plane and then i have to turn the phone off. Each time, i loose my date and time :-(
Please use plain text.
Carl_L_UK

[ Edited ]

Hi folks, same problem here but I don't think it's a hardware problem (back-up battery/motherboard)

My reasons as follows - maybe others want to try & see if their phones behave the same:

• I've only tried restarting at home. At home I always use WiFi & was getting random date/time on every restart
  • Setting phone to auto-update or not made no difference
  • Tried turning WiFi off & restarting - BINGO - everything OK
  • Now this made me think that it was a hardware problem (back-up battery or similar) and, by using the network instead of WiFi, the phone was grabbing the correct time on start-up
  • Now, manually set date/time but deliberately set time 2 mins out. Phone retained settings on restart

So - problem is somehow connected to WiFi. Doesn't make any difference on WiFi whether you set to auto-update or not.

My layman's logic:

• Either the phone is hard-coded to grab times from WiFi router, regardless of settings & (some?) routers transmit spurious data, or
  • Simply a firmware bug that only reveals itself when on WiFi & the Nokia boys & girls missed it in testing

Be interesting to hear whether anyone else can replicate my experiences. I haven't yet tried leaving phone on WiFi & restarting when out of range of WiFi - this may add more clarity.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Whether the Lumia is grabbing the time from the wi-fi router or the cuckoo clock doesn't matter. This is still a bug which Nokia must fix and don't expect your users to jump through hoops to workaround this. I've used Nokia Symbian phones for years and they have been utterly reliable as alarm clocks. Never mind the fact that I can switch off my N8 and it will still wake me up and my Lumia 800 can't but Nokia can't even get this basic thing right. What gives?

Oh yes, I'm still keeping my N8...as an alarm clock.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi KennyB,

Thanks for your post.

If your Lumia does not retain time and date on switching off and on I would suggest you have the Lumia checked by a Nokia Care Point or Repair Centre.

A Lumia Windows Phone is actually off when you switch off unlike the Nokia N8 which, like all most Sx0 and all Symbian phones, does not switch off but in fact goes into a 'sleep' mode. This is also why it can come out of this mode when an alarm is set.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
koba

Hi,
I am actually having the problem that my Lumia800 switches into "Flight Mode" when turning the switch OFF and On again.

Anyone else having this problems?

K.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JesmanX

My Lumia 900 does that.  When switching the automatic setting from Off to On, I'll see the flight mode indicator for a moment, then it switches to the no service icon, then back to normal again.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi,

Thanks for your remarks!

When you switch Network time on or off the phone needs to disconnect from the network and reconnect again. This is normal and is why you see the Flight mode come up briefly.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
thejackdaddy

I'm having exactly the same problem and 1980 seems to be my Lumia 800's favourite year.
Please use plain text.
michreon7

Hi did you get your problem fixed? I am having the same problem.
Please use plain text.
Isnothere

I just bought a new Lumia 800, so this is MONTHS after the posts above, and my phone has the same problem. Amazing that they haven't fixed it yet! (Unless my one has been lying in a warehouse for a few months and that's why it was really cheap from Tesco!)

It usually reverts to 1980 like the others, but has thrown me into the distant future on occasion, like I've been to 2085 (and found it much the same as today).

I'm about to try setting it back 1 hour to see if that stops the reversion as suggested above. Will report my findings, but hope someone posts the prober solution in the meantime.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DaveW494

This problem can be solved with the win 7.8 update.

The latest update doesnt always seem to go on through zune but can be done in a Nokia CarePoint.

Check your firmware details, latest before win 7.8 is something like 1750.0805.8773.12220

7.8 comes in with update 1750.0823.8858.12460 and has solved all known cases of date/time reset so far.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
soosrol

Thats funny!

I've recently updated my lumia800 to 7.8, and started to do this wierd time-reset stuff after that. Also, the alam clock doesn't work correctly, sometimes it just forgets to ring. :smileyfrustrated: I had no problems before with 7.5.

Please use plain text.