Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Timescale for firmware updates Lumia 520 ?

Counsellor
kaybee327
Accepted Solution

Timescale for firmware updates Lumia 520 ?

Can anyone explain why there is such a varience in which the same update gets released either from a phone supplier or Nokia.

For example I am with O2 in the UK. I asked about the Amber upgrade and the replies varied from "what is that I've never heard of it" to " We are not imformed of release dates so do not know" to a straight "no idea". to " keep checking in settings-phone-update"

AT & T have been selling the Lumia 520 for some time and their version has  Windows Phone 8 build 10327 (GDR2) and Nokia’s Amber firmware update already on board.

I can not see Amber for example being different in USA and UK or Swaziland for the same phone.

So why such a delay

A very impatient

Keith

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Timescale for firmware updates Lumia 520 ?

There is a difference between a sim,free (factory unlocked/unbranded) device and a carrier released version.

your challenge with updates when you have a carrier branded device is that the carrier usually has very few updates to devices. And, their firmware versions are different, which include bloatware.

it is either software they are paid to put in devices, or their own renditions of billing, WiFi calling, mapping, etc stuff. So, before they do any updates of firmware and push it out, they have to do their own version of QC whereas factory unlocked devices get updates when ever the phone manufacturer releases them, which is usually more often.

even,if you get your device unlocked, it will still require that the carrier push the update. So the care reps are usually going to very uninformed unless they truly are involved in the tech side and have genuine interest to learn more. From a corporate perspective, they usually are scripted and clueless, which for the companies sake helps them not to create anymore confusion with the customer base then already is there.

as for the varients of,different countries, good to think about the regulations each country has, as well as some of the functionality of the device. Some countries don't have 3 or 4g service, or MMS is different, or there are frequency differences or regulations on what can be done. This goes far more deeper than just having the language available.

hope that helps
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kaybee327

Re: Timescale for firmware updates Lumia 520 ?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that - I accept as solution but one quick qustion e.g. Amber upgrade is a Nokia phone update so why do carriers have to get involved. surely Amber in UK would be same as Amber in France or Germany or Norway ( apart from language )

Keith

Please use plain text.