Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Touch screen freeze/unresponsive LUMIA 920

Contributor
seynie

Touch screen freeze/unresponsive LUMIA 920

I have been playing around with my phone last night taking pictures (the low light pictures are amazing)
and when I tried to unlock my phone this morning,

nothing of touch input seems to react,

even the buttons under the screen don't light up and do not respond on touch.

My power, volume and camera button all work.
Already did a few hard resets,

connected my phone to a computer hoping that would spark something

but nothing seems to work.

Anyone any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it

thx,
Laurens

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Touch screen freeze/unresponsive LUMIA 920

Which hard reset did you attempt? Can you try hold the power button for 8 seconds

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
seynie

that does nothing at all,
the hard reset i did was holding the vol down and power button for 10 sec,

cheers
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Try this way
volume down + power + camera buttons together until the phone vibrates, then release the power button only and hold the other buttons down for another five seconds or so, then release all the buttons.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
seynie

nope doesnt do anything either,
cam turns on,
i'm able to take pictures and so on,
but the touch screen, back, start and search buttons dont work
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Try this other option! Hold both lower Volume (decrease) AND power buttons for a full 20 seconds. You should get a vibration from the phone. It seems to work for some also try remove sim card.
if none work take it back to store ..

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mendas

I had this exact same problem. My phone worked last night and this morning the touch screen was non-responsive. I reset it several times without it helping. I tried holding power and volume down for a full 20 seconds as Jimmy recommended. It looked like it reset several times during this and once I stopped holding them down and let it start up again the touch screen works! Hopefully it will stay working, we'll see.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

other option (that will wipe all your data, so please backup to PC or online storage first) is to perform a hard reset by going to Settings > About > Reset your phone.

Failing that, looks like you will need to take your phone back to your point of purchase, or if they are being less than helpful, to your local Nokia Care point: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LA6507

Has anyone ever determined why our 920 touchscreens become unresponsive?  I am on my 3rd 920 and this one does it too.  Hard resets do not correct the problem.  The only thing I have noticed is turning off the LTE radio at bedtime seems to prevent this from occuring in the mornings when I use my phone.  Something else, too - it seems my phone's touchscreen usually always works initially, then after a few minutes, it does not work until I soft reset it at least 10 times in a row.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

You might find this link helpful .

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
egonsch

Hi, I'm having the same freezing issue. This is my first day using the 920 and suddenly this evening the screen became irresponsive. 

It's impossible to make it work. I've tried hard and soft reset unsuccessfully.

If I cannot make it work for tomorrow I'm going to return my cell phone to the store.

I can't help to feel really disappointed with nokia.

Best regards,

Roberto.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
siatro

I have the same problem.  First few days it was happening with Exchange email.  Restarts - hard and soft - did not resolve the issue directly.  After a few it came good.  It stayed like that for about 4 days with no problem at all.  It then started happening again when I started Here+ navigation to a destination.  Here+ running showing the map and my movement using GPS did not seem to trigger the probelm.  I managed to regain control by doing soft and hard resets and then I stopped Here+. Its been fine for a few hours now.  It feels like a software issue under load?

Does the Portico update deal with this issue? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
erik2005

I have the same issue too. Return to Nokia Care Center to let them fix it. Bust strongly suspect it is a software rather than a hardware issue as it looks like to freeze when turn on mobile data. With wifi the phone runs much much better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wallacemote

Guys, I'm having the same problem. I bought the unit does little more than a week since purchase and it is this problem with the touch stop working when the device is charging. I wonder if something was done to correct the problem or if I'll just miss everything already installed on the device and without having to stand up sending me another phone (since there is no technical assistance from Nokia here).

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pabra

I have the freezing problem, but have solved it. First remove Facebook and Skype. Next st night turn off your WiFi and set your email to manual check. Make sure your background apps are blocked as well to avoid data charges. The freezing of the 920 is associated with WiFi I read on the internet. Now Nokia needs to fixit
Please use plain text.
sparton

I don't think it's related to wifi, as it happens even when both wifi and network data is turned off. How long has it been since the last time your 920 froze?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sirdez

I've been getting the unresponsiveness for a month or 2 now and I have found that for me its only when the phone is charging. My original charger failed in the 1st week and I'm awaiting a replacement, so I am using all my other compatible chargers that I have. I've noticed the screen is unresponsive on all charging methods, except when I'm connected to a USB 3.0 powered hub. I have no idea why, but I would be interested to know if anyone else have found this trend. I have hard reset my phone, with no change.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nivor

Hi guys, I'm getting an odd problem as well.

It started a few days ago where the touch screen would not work, only for a few seconds and then it started working again. Then I completely ran out of battry.

When I plugged it in and woke up the next day the screen was totally unresponsive. tried a soft reset which didnt work but then a hard reset seemed to do the trick.

The problem is now that when I hit the unlock button, it takes maybe a second or two for the touch screen to start working. I swipe up but nothing happens then a second later I swipe again and it works. If I lock the phone and then unlock immediately the screen normally starts working immediately but if I lock it, wait a minute and then unlock it I have to wait a second or two for the screen to start working.

Really weird and definitely a software issue. Its not a huge issue, but is quite frustrating.

I think it first started when I added my gmail email account as a linked inbox, so I'm going to start playing around with the mail settings to see if I can sort it. Will re-post later.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
siatro

My screen seems to freeze when it gets hot. Navigation and games seem to often be the cause of screen freezing. Funny thing a hard reset does not fix the problem. Only leaving the phone alone for a while, perhaps to cool, seems to bring the phone back to a stable state. I am going to wait for the portico update otherwise I am going to take the phone back.
Please use plain text.
codyx

[ Edited ]

same here, happened this morning...a couple days before installed ProShot from store application consume alot resource, phone overheats quickly and cause camera view become fully green restarted and everything works fine until this morning. Touch screen no more :smileysad:

did soft reset more than 20 times, hard reset 3 times. no avail.

Please use plain text.