Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Touchscreen responsiveness delay

Advisor
Jandieg

Touchscreen responsiveness delay

Dear Nokia,

After switching from the 800/900 series to the 920, everything was great and perfect but something was unconsciously bugging me. Didn't take long to realize what it was: Pretty much every time I had to make the swiping unlock gesture twice in order to unlock the lockscreen. Why? Well, it's explained here.

Description of the problem

On the Lumia 920, after pressing the power button and immediately trying to unlock the screen, it won't respond to gestures.

This erratic behavior gives a bad user experience since forces the user to apply a second gesture to unlock.

This video shows in detail and compares a Lumia 800 vs Lumia 920: http://youtu.be/3y2awFPHbfM

Hope you will be able to reproduce the issue and fix it soon.

With regards,
Jandieg

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you checked that you have all the latest Nokia system app updates from the Store? and have you tried performing a soft reset (pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates)?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Can't reproduce this on my Nokia Lumia 920. It gets unlocked immediately with the FIRST attempt..

You may try a Soft Reset by Pressing the Volume Down + Power switch for about 10-12 seconds . this should not erase any data or alter settings. Recheck after this ..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jandieg

Soft and hard reset, even on 3 different ROMs (including stock).

Note it is not a matter of the first or the second time, its about the time you take between pressing the button and swiping. If you are doing things fast and want to power on and unlock immediatelly it won't respond. You need to wait about one second after you press the power button, which is not the idea.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

What I mentioned as 'Immediately' is may be much more quicker than the one I see in the Video posted by you ..

BTW, was this behavior same before the 'Portico' update ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jandieg

Strange it does not happen to you. Are there multiple hardware builds of the 920?

I can reproduce it with Portico, but then flashed a non-Portico ROM and its exactly the same...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jandieg

@farby, which ROM you have?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

No such issue on my 920 as well....and yes there might be different Portico builds for different regions/carriers
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jandieg

[ Edited ]

Are you doing it as fast as possible? (don't wait for the screen to light up).

I think it is a universal issue with all WP8 phones, I have tested so far on a bunch of phones:

Issue present on:

• Lumia 920
  • Lumia 820
  • Samsung Ativ
  • HTC 8X

No issues with:

• Lumia 800
  • Lumia 710
  • Lumia 505
  • Samsung Focus S

Not relevant, but I have also tested the same on other platforms:

• Same issue with Galaxy S3
  • No issue with iPhone 5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Not able to replicate that delay
you may always leave your feedback regarding this with Microsoft directly by posting at the following link: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nivor

Hi I'm also getting this problem but worse. It sometimes takes between 1 and 5 seconds after hitting the unlock button to the screen becoming "active". Its really annoying.

Any idea why this is happening?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Is it always happening or when the phone is connected to the charger ? I too experience a similar behaviour on my Nokia Lumia 920 but that is only when its on charging and that too not always .. so  though annoying when it does, not much bothered about it ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nivor

No, it can be at any time. It doesn't happen every time either, so its very random.

I've had the phone since December and its only started happening since late March. I thought it might have been something I installed but I've uninstalled everything I can think of.

I've done soft and hard resets and even gone as far as flashing the phone (as it bricked when I tried a factory reset) and its still happening! :smileysad:
Please use plain text.