Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Transfer SMS from N8 to Lumia 820

Contributor
higgyf1
Accepted Solution

Transfer SMS from N8 to Lumia 820

I'm about to upgrade from the N8 to the Lumia 820, and need help finding a simple way to transfer my SMS messages over!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

THIS should work for the 2 phones in subject as well as for Messages too ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
higgyf1

Thanks! Once I have the new one in hand, I'll give it a try! Probably a daft question, but will my SIM need to be in the new phone or old phone to do this, or will it not matter?!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

AFAIK it should not matter..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
higgyf1

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
higgyf1

Hi. I've tonight tried the steps above and the "transfer my data" has only given the option of moving contacts and I can't see any option to change it to move the SMS saved in my N8 to the Lumia 820.

I'm calling it a day for tonight but any other guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Refer the last Para of Message 1 HERE

BTW, wonder why the application mentions, it can transfer Text messages !!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
higgyf1

Thanks for bearing with me! I'll have a go with that last para tonight, but for now, I'vwe just checked and my app on the 820 defifnitely only says it copies contacts ( Can't screen drop it as I've not worked that out yet either!! Lol!)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
higgyf1

Finally, success!! The transfer my data app contained in the phone on receipt only offered the option to transfer contacts BUT having found the same app in the app store on the phone, I downloaded that one, and that one DOES then offer text transfer too! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and getting it sorted! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Ankhangel

Hello,  I am new to the discussion boards so apologies if I should be starting a new topic.  Does anyone have any advice on copying MMS (picture) messages across fron the N8 to the Lumia 820???  If I transfer the message across will only the text section convert to CSV??  Where does the picture go??  Is there a way around this??

From reading the previous discussions I am working on the basis that to successfully transfer SMS across I will need to convert them to CSV and upload to SkyDrive, but would really just like some help with this.

I upgraded and am the moment am still trying to find my feet but working within Symbian Belle was just a lot easier.

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
panu75

I could not transfer SMS messages from my Nokia E51 to Lumia 520 as the "Transfer my Data" app only wanted to transfer contacts. But I COULD transfer SMS messages from Nokia 6220 Classic using the "Transfer my Data" app. The solution was to use Nokia PC Suite to transfer the SMS  messages from Nokia E51 to Nokia 6220 Classic. Then use the "Transfer my Data" app to transfer the SMS messages from the 6220 to the Lumia 520.

There was a glitch, though. Whenever the "Transfer my Data" app encountered an SMS that contained a payment token for the car navigation usage, it would freeze, drop the bluetooth connection and cancel saying "only 148 messages synchronized" or whatever. The resolution was to go through the SMS inbox and manually remove the map token receipt SMSs from the phone before transferring. I now have all 1700 messages transferred to my Lumia and it only took one full business day :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.