Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unable to connect Lumia 800 to wireless networ...

Daveddus
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect Lumia 800 to wireless network

Ever since I got my lumia 800, 5 days after its release, I have never been able to connect to my wireless network at home.

I have tried everything I can think of.

I am using a Linksys WAG160N modem router running WEP encryption.

I know the WEP key (because I made it) so I know it is correct, but the phone always says that the password is incorrect. Any suggestions please?

Also, my mother uses a 710 and has the same problem.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

Re: Unable to connect Lumia 800 to wireless network

Hi Daveddus,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Have you tried changing the security setting to WPA or WPA2 as these should increase network security and possibly solve your problem? According to the product specs sheet, Linksys WAG160N can handle WEP, WPA and WPA2.  

You could also try adding the access point information manually, by selecting Settings > WiFi > Advanced > +. Just remember to delete your access point data first by long pressing the access point name and selecting delete. Also, check if your phone identifies the security as WEP by long-pressing the access point name and selecting edit. the security mode should be shown right after the access point name.

Hope this helps,

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Daveddus

Thanks Puigchild,

But that doesnt work. Short of reseting phone, which Im not prepared to do as i cant back up sms etc, is there anything else that can be done?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

It's to note that it isn't working with both the Lumia 800 and 710. Have you any problems connecting to other wifi's with both the phones?

These are things I would check

1. MAC filtering. It should be disabled and if enabled make sure the MAC of both phones are in the allowed list

2. WEP passphrase can be hex or ascii. Make sure router setting matches phones.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

One thing you could try is to reset the router, disconnect all other devices then try connecting. It's also good to check if the connection works on other mobiles, like cjlim mentioned.

Did the error message change when you changed your security setting to WPA/WPA2? Because usually the error message you got indicates that the access is blocked before you can actually start connecting to the device. You could try to change the password to something easy and short, just to see if it makes a difference.

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
katandleew

Hi
I had the same problem took me ages to figure it out, no problems with the router or the phone my problem was I have a Video sender that was set to the same channel as the router and effectively blocked the signal, also my door bell is wireless, I would change channel on tv and set the door bell off, you can change the channel on all wireless items that they broadcast on, once you get each one on a separate channel it should be smooth sailing.
Good luck hope this helps
Please use plain text.
Daveddus

yeh ive tried all that the first thing I did was a soft reset of the router and then did a hard reset. Also, i could connect other wifi devices.

I worked it out in the end. It didnt like the fact that I had DHCP disabled, it didnt like the fact I wanted to specify IP addresses for my devices, but all is work fine now :smileyhappy:

thanks for the suggestions and ideas though.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mikec1701

My Nokia Lumia 800 used to connect to my home secure router all the time, but two days ago it stopped and keeps coming back with incorrect password. Like other people who've posted the same problem, I know the password is correct - I've connected using the same pword with several laptops and other phones (not Nokias). 

I did the delete the access point from the list, but now when I try to re add it manually it still gets locked in the incorrect password loop so I can't change the security settings or encryption. Frankly, I don't see why I shoud have to go to through the hassle of changing my network password and security levels just for this one phone...especially since it used to work. I'm about ready to chuck the Nokia and buy a damn Iphone like everyone else! 

Anyone got any suggestions for this not solved issue...?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Have you tried rebooting your router?

Please use plain text.