Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unable to connect lumina 520 to Windows 7 PC

Contributor
phookan
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect lumina 520 to Windows 7 PC

Hi,

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 520 in July. I am not able to have my Windows 7 laptop detect it at all. I have connected it through the supplied USB cable, but the system just does not detect it, already I have tried all the 3 usb ports available in my pc. Also tried installing the windows  phone desktop app also. I am able to see windows phone as portable device showing up in my windows explorer but unable to see any folders in windows explorer. similarly when I use the windows desktop app I don't see any folders though it detects the device. Have tried the following

1. Force restart the phone when connected to the laptop
2. Already done the re-setting of phone

Please help, any inputs is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Phookan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

If you have an sd card in your phone remove it

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
phookan

Tried SD card also with no success. BTW there seems to be some problems with the device drivers. when I connects my device, windows normally checks for the appropriate device driver compatible with the device. My laptop is unable to detect device driver for nokia lunina 520.

Attached is the screen shot

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Try a different usb port and make sure the screen is not locked on device when connected.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This looks like you did not let Windows get and install the needed drivers. First make sure the 520 is not under lockscreen and connect it. Now go into device manager and uninstall the 520 there. WHen asked allow for uninstall of driver files.

When done disconnect the phone and reconnect it a few seconds later but make sure it is again not under lockscreen. Now just wait and give Windows time to install. The phone should show up after a little bit and you should see the folders available on the phone and SD card (if installed).

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
phookan

Tried the following as suggested :

1. Ensured that there phone is not locked.

2.  Manually uninstalled all the 520 drivers from device mgr.

3. waited for some time, again connected the device to laptop , ensured that phone is not locked.

4. same result, windows tries to find drivers unable to find anything :cursing:

Have already tried all the usb ports available on my laptop, same result no folders are showing up in windows explorer though able to detect the windows phone. any more pointers guys ??

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
phookan

can somene tell me where I can download the necesaary device drivers required for 520 ? I have tried all the options with no luck :

a. online windows update
b. searching driver in my local machine

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Have a look HERE

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

phookan wrote:

Tried the following as suggested :

1. Ensured that there phone is not locked.

2.  Manually uninstalled all the 520 drivers from device mgr.

3. waited for some time, again connected the device to laptop , ensured that phone is not locked.

4. same result, windows tries to find drivers unable to find anything :cursing:

Have already tried all the usb ports available on my laptop, same result no folders are showing up in windows explorer though able to detect the windows phone. any more pointers guys ??

Thanks

Well, this is a MSFT thing really and it'smore likely related to your computer than the phone so I'd do a Farby suggest and else contact MSFT support

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
phookan

Ok.. so finally the issue is resolved !! :thumbsup:

Problem was that there were installed a unsupported bluethooth software that was looking for some drivers which doesn't exist !! I un-installed a unsupported broadcom bluetooth driver from my PC , restarted laptop. Then the faulty driver was gone and windows was able to install the missing drivers.

Thereafter when I plugged the phone I am now able to see the folders also. Thanks for all your responses

Regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ranjeet20006

Hi...

Problem occurs because of incomplete installation of device driver. It could happen if you disconnect your mobile before the drivers are installed for the port completely. Ideally once you connect your device at a port for the first time you must wait untill you get the notification of "driver installation complete. Device is ready for use."

For This problem follow the following steps.

(WINDOWS 7 & 8 PC)

1) Go to >> Devices and Printers

2) Search for your device.(It will appear with dull color as device is presently disconnected.)

3) Right Click at the device icon and select 'Remove Device'

4) Connect your phone cable to the port.

5) Wait for the device driver software installation to complete.(Complete notification will pop up at task bar).

6) Open the window Explorer You would be able to access the phone and SD card Folders now.

Cheers!!!!!

Please use plain text.