Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unlocked (920.1) Lumia 920 not able to send MM...

Contributor
MDak280
Accepted Solution

Unlocked (920.1) Lumia 920 not able to send MMS, but I have the correct APN settings...

Hello. I am unable to send MMS on my Nokia Lumia 920, can anyone help please?

I am on T-Mobile USA's network using an unlocked Lumia 920 (it's from Singapore, according to the settings). I can send/receive calls and messages, and I don't have a data plan so I don't care about that. But, I'm not able to send MMS. I read that the 920 was supposed to automatically read the APN settings from your SIM, but I guess it wasn't able to read my T-Mobile US SIM. Anyways, I went to Settings > Access Point  to try and fix it. An access point named "T-Mobile" was there, so I activated it. Then I powered off my phone and turned it back on. I tried to send a picture message but it didn't work. So I went back to Access Point and added my own APN settings, as follows:

Name: T-Mobile USA

Internet APN: epc.tmobile.com

Network type: IPv4 (Not sure what this is, other options are IPv6 and IPv4v6)

Authentication: None (other options are POP and CHAP)

MMS APN: epc.tmobile.com

Proxy: 216.155.165.050

Port: 8080

MMSC address: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Network type: IPv4

Authentication: None

The rest I left blank.

I saved the access point and activated it. Then I restarted my phone, and tried to send the picture message again, but it still didn't work. Am I entering one of the items incorrectly? If anyone can help, please do, thanks! I'm really enjoying this phone, it's amazing (battery could be better, but it's not bad).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Unlocked (920.1) Lumia 920 not able to send MMS, but I have the correct APN settings...

You need MMS to send pics,check your providers website for the correct settings,you should also call them about data plan NO DATA NO PICS.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MDak280

Re: Unlocked (920.1) Lumia 920 not able to send MMS, but I have the correct APN settings...

I don't need a data plan to send pictures, I have an unlimited texting plan that includes MMS. I'll try going to T-Mobile's website to make sure I have the right settings. Does anyone else have a solution?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Even though MMS is in your plan, it may not be ACTIVATED yet. Had the same thing happen when I switched back over to Vodafone from 3 Mobile. Had to manually go onto their website to activate the darn MMS even though I had the settings on my SIM card for it and it was already set up on my phone. You may have to do the same, or ring up your network carrier.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

MMS needs a data connection so contact your provider and ensure its activated as myself and adrian pointed out.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

jimmyireland wrote:
MMS needs a data connection so contact your provider and ensure its activated as myself and adrian pointed out.

MMS should NOT need a data connection. Even dumb phones can send and receive MMS but on WP you need to activate your data connection to send MMS although it does not use data. This can be considered a bug.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

I think the OP only needs the correct MMS / WAP settings . He already has an MMS plan as per Message 3. So the best suggestion / solution seems to be the one mentioned in the same post. Visit the T-Mobile Website or its helpline to get the correct settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@MDak280

Presumably you tried sending a picture to yourself or a friend who's already received a picture message to get it working?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

KennyKB wrote:

jimmyireland wrote:

MMS should NOT need a data connection. Even dumb phones can send and receive MMS but on WP you need to activate your data connection to send MMS although it does not use data. This can be considered a bug.

The same principal applies for Android phones so it's not a bug. The MMS settings are tied to the WAP/internet settings so the mobile network (3G) needs to be active to be able to send and receive MMS.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Just as a matter of curiosity try this.
Tap menu-settings mobile network what is data connection saying?

Please do keep up updated im very interested in this VERY INTERESTED!

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MDak280

Thank you all very much for your replies. I finally figured it out. Apparently, even though I don't have a data plan, I do have to turn the data connection on in order to send and receive MMS. So jimmyireland, you were technically correct. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

MDak280 wrote:

Thank you all very much for your replies. I finally figured it out. Apparently, even though I don't have a data plan, I do have to turn the data connection on in order to send and receive MMS. So jimmyireland, you were technically correct. Thanks!

Your welcome ,glad your sorted.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pvrveyor

Yesssss, turning on my data setting (even tho I don't have a data plan with my carrier) and now I able to send and receive picture messages.

Carrier is Rogers in Canada and when I called them they said I need a data plan to receive picture messages... What a bunch of bs.... Guess that's how they force less technologically savvy customers to get their outrageously overpriced data plans.

Nokia 4 Life :smileyvery-happy:

[posted with my Lumia 710]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

You need to understand that because it is mms, you need a data plan as the Files attached to the message need to be uploaded onto the server which can't work unless the phone is allowed to transmit data. This happens in all the phones. No phone will let you send an MMS unless you have the ability to transmit data.

That's all i know. Sorry if wrong :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ladyK0215

I'm using a lumia920 from att, unlocked for straight talk and I cannot send/recieve mms.please help
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Contact your provider or your providers website for the settings.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
palupac

hi, I  have the same problem with my phone, I  did what you did in settings, but I  didnt see where to write the network type as you mentioned, what you did was go to the settings,->cellular->add internet apn? because i cant find the steps that you did, thank you

Please use plain text.