Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 - WP 8.1 Update and ...

Advisor
SVNS

Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 - WP 8.1 Update and Cyan?

Hi,

I bought unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 from microsoftstore.com about 3 weeks back. This is WP 8.0 out of the box and doesn't show any updates available when I check through Settings > Phone Updates!! since WP 8.1 & Cyan are released (in US as well, where I am using it), how can I get the updates installed on it?

The carrier on extras + info page shows 000-US, I think that means this is not a carrier locked phone (which is why I bought it).

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
nj15

Re: Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 - WP 8.1 Update and Cyan?

SVNS wrote:
how can I get the updates installed on it?

Thanks

The updates are being released by batches per country. You will be notified on your phone once the update has been made available specifically for your phone variant. But as of the moment you may try using Lumia Pusher

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ph/store/app/lumia-pusher/d4ef32ad-b9fc-4150-99ba-94daa08798f4

Good luck

OK...I am talking about Cyan and WP 8.1 update, not system apps update. So that link or that app doesn't help.

"Updates are being released by batches and by country" we know since first update on WP 7, so I understand that before pasting a question here (that is one reason you wont see much questions from me in this forum).

Point is - for 1020, update is already released in US, by AT&T and by MS for this country variant. This phone is being sold as 'UNLOCKED' directly by microsoft and since its not carrier locked, I am asking Nokia directly when its plan to release the update for it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

All updates are distributed via the Microsoft servers. so not much point in asking Nokia, as they may have well provided the package for distribution to MS and have no further control over the exact release.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SVNS

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your thoughts. I would still wait for any official help on this. MS says AT&T will do it, AT&T  says its unlocked so Nokia could do it, Nokia says they are no more Nokia and MS should have it. All in all its MS or Nokia - both are same now, so let them reply on it.

BTW, this phone has a new product code, which MS Support says they dont have any details.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

How did the phone get a new product code? and what is it?

Whether unlocked or not, if the phone runs ATT firmware it will only get updated once ATT approves the firmware so it can be made available through the Microsoft update process.

You can 'wait for any official help on this' but if you are doing so here you're in the wrong place. This is a user to user support platform.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eroseland

I just purchased the Lumia 1020 unlocked the other day from the Microsoft store in the US. I was told that I should be able to take the phone home and update it to 8.1 directly. I signed up for ATT's wireless service and then subsequently attempted to get the Cyan 8.1 update. However I have the same issue as SVNS reports - no update available and I am still on 8.0.

According to all the 'official' channels and numerous news articles the 8.1 Cyan update should be available to ATT Lumia 1020s. I have read numerous forum articles about people that already HAVE updated their 1020 to Cyan. You mention something about ATT firmware but this doesn't add up because as an unlocked phone, ATT doesn't have any firmware or even software installed. So what am I missing? Why does my Lumia 1020 refuse to find the update?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SVNS

Its a RM-877 (I know AT&T has same), but this one has product code 059W473, which is diff from AT&T. I know that AT&T has already released Cyan+WP 8.1, which I can see on my friend's phone. Since this product code is diff, Settings > extras + info says Carrier = 000-US and thats diff from AT&T for sure. So if AT&T says that they can not help, I can actually see that. Update is released by them, I dont see it coming on this phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eroseland

[ Edited ]

OK, that makes sense. I see that in mine as well: 000-US. In looking at the release information here: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

I see that only ATT is listed for Cyan on the 1020. The others don't even appear to be 'testing' it.

So I guess my next question would be for those of us with the unlocked Lumia, who provides the update and when might it be available? Since being connected to ATT obviously isn't enough, there has to be something that will open the way to get the update. Is this something that Nokia will eventually provide?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Can't check the product code right now, you may want to try Twitter @NokiaHelps 

You can always install the Windows Phone 8.1 update (GDR1) Developer Preview and get most of the new stuff especially since the Cyan firmware mainly adds functionality for second ger WP8 devices (for stuff like SensorCore)

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SVNS

Twitter @NokiaHelps and MSHelp have no info. Its actually nice to see they dont have details about theor own products. I see lot of ppl asking them for this (including me), so far 'No info on this'.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eroseland

Yeah, I was going out on a limb to try Windows Phone to begin with. Part of the reason that I actually went forward was because of hearing good reviews of 8.1. However, between all the crapware and adware in the marketplace and being misled about the availability of the update, I may need to take advantage of the 30 day return period and go back to Apple... *sigh*...caught between a rock and a hard place.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

eroseland wrote:

Who provides the update and when might it be available? Since being connected to ATT obviously isn't enough, there has to be something that will open the way to get the update. Is this something that Nokia will eventually provide?

It is all about your Nokia Product Code. This determines the firmware variant you get. When this variant gets Lumia Cyan and is placed on the update servers, you get notified automatically – wherever you are in the world, with any network operator. When this update arrives is not communicted transparently. You have to wait, simple as that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

SVNS wrote:

Its a RM-877 (I know AT&T has same), but this one has product code 059W473, 

I checked and there is no RM-877 firmware with product code 059W473 I can find.

Can you install Nokia Software Recovery Tool and see which product code it says you have?

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eroseland

OK that makes sense. Where do I find out which product code I am on. I am guessing there isn't a more detailed release schedule listed any where that shows the availability dates for the different product codes?

I see also that it's possible to change the code as well. Is this safe?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Click on the link in the post above yours, install the software, connect your phone and the product code should be shown when connected.

No, it is not safe, it will void your warranty and we cannot discuss this further in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SVNS

ok. So after the same question through multiple forums, now they have added the Country Variant update on the North America update page. Hope the update is released soon.

Please use plain text.
wesschell

I've had my unlocked L1020 for just over a month and got my WP 8.1 update today (Sept 5). The phone was a US country variant purchased from Microsoft in Canada.
Please use plain text.