The process explained by Ramee works!! I sent my phone to India last month, and got the unlock code from ATT. which obviously did not work with only 3 attempts left. I followed his approach, ran out all the 10 attempts and tried and it really worked. I created my account specifically to tell you guys this, and say thanks to Ramee!!
1. I sent a Nokia Lumia 900 purchased a AT&T store to my family back home in India. It was purchased at full price unlocked – no contract.
- When they tried to use the phone in India, it was locked to AT&T.
- I reached out to AT&T Customer support which said they can provide the unlock code if I sent them the IMEI
- I sent them the IMEI, at which point they said this phone could not be unlocked.
- When I spoke to the supervisor, I got a different story .i.e., the phone needed to be kept locked for 6 months as Nokia had instructed them to do so, and Nokia was refusing to release the unlock codes.
- After several escalations, I was promised an unlock code in 7 days.
- After 21 days and several phone calls, I finally got the unlock code
- The unlock code did not work
- I advised my family to take the phone to the Nokia Service Center in India (Bangalore)
- They tried unlocking the phone . . and said that the code from AT&T/Nokia was wrong.
- I called AT&T and they said that it was Nokia who must have provided the wrong code
- Called Nokia complaints and they said they have no control/responsibility whatsover for the phone and that I should call AT&T.
- The Nokia person refused to share his name, escalate to a supervisor, or prove the address where I can send a complaint to. Basically said Nokia wants nothing to do with Lumia 900 in US . it is an AT&T Issue.
I invested a lot of energy to convince my family away from an iPhone and try a windows phone instead.
With friends (ATT, Nokia ) like these, who needs competition ?
Hey dude, I have gone through this same frustration last month. There is a solution explained by Ramee in the same forum. It works. and I Just tried it and got it unlocked. Just run out of all your 10 attempts then it asks for PUK code with 32 attempts. then enter the same code that att gave you. it works like a charm. Enjoy. I hope this helps.
Dear Ramee and all of those for whom it worked,
Ramee's method worked for me as well! Brilliant man! thank you so much for that! was trying to get the phone unlocked from the past 2 months. thank you so much! the dud unlocking videos by the private unlocking companies should be replaced by the videos of this new unlocking procedure, by all of us!