Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Very loud beeps and ringtones

BenjaminPaul

Very loud beeps and ringtones

Even on volume 1 my Lumia 800 is extremely loud whenever there is a beep, call, text etc. It gives me a horrible fright each time the phone gives me an alert.

Something is not quite right when it rings too, it sometimes stutters and clicks - seems as if a volume control function is off or something.

The worst possible one is the plug in when charging, very very loud even when on level 1.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The volume of the charging notification appears to be fixed at a set level. I do not know if this is a bug or intentional. I'm on the the newest software too.

When it rings it does briefly start loudly, then goes quiet on mine. This is quite odd behaviour, not noticed it before as mine is usually on maximum.
Please use plain text.
BenjaminPaul

Appears to be no change in level in the first 10 levels, it is loud across the board. Charge doesn't bother me too much, I expect that. It is texts and other noises that seems to be an issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yep same problem, latest firmware.
My morning alarms are painful now!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura

I wish I could increase my volume :smileysad: maybe I'd wake up in the morning then.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mio_BB

It kicks in if volume is set lower than 14. If You set the volume at 14 or higher it will act as normal. As an workaround when listening to music at a lower volume you can set the phone to Silent/Vibrate by tapping the icon on the top right when adjusting the volume. This comes from the 12070 firmware and I guess we have to live with it untill the next firmware comes along.
Please use plain text.
BenjaminPaul

Well that's good that others have the same issue (and bad). Nokia have you got an answer to this? It is rather annoying and it is also annoying that I have a cellphone that doesn't seem to be tested before going to market?

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
dn08

We have checked this with the team responsible for the Nokia Lumia 800, we hope to share a solution asap.

Nevertheless, the ring tone volume adjusts itself automatically after the first 2 seconds to normal level.

Please use plain text.
JBM21

That's a pretty poor response Nokia if I may say so.

"It reverts back after two seconds" - not great if you have already disrupted an office/meeting by it starting at full volume.  What on earth is the point of being able to lower the ring volume if it starts at full and then goes to your chosen setting afterwards?  It's a bit like having a car that revs to the redline when you touch the accelerator but then settles down to your chosen revs afterwards - i.e. useless.

Any idea when a fix will be distributed?  Surely it can't be that difficult a piece of code to change and issue an update on?  Maybe there's a a chance you could test the new release too before issuing it - just a thought.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chris800

dn08 wrote:

We have checked this with the team responsible for the Nokia Lumia 800, we hope to share a solution asap.

Nevertheless, the ring tone volume adjusts itself automatically after the first 2 seconds to normal level.

Sure, there are work arounds and it reverts back after two seconds. However, the first time I experienced this was while listenen to music at volume level 5-6 with my Purity in-ear headphones. As a call came in both, the ringetone and the music turned to full volume for two seconds and again once the call was ended. This is not just a bug this is really serious as it might damage your hearing. I am kind of afraid to listen to music now as this might happen again if I forget to mute the ringtone.

I really love my Lumia and especially now as the battery is great as well. But this bug really renders the phone unsuable for me at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Juffer

[ Edited ]

Yep, same problem here. Newest firmware installed. Now first ring tone is super loud, then it goes to level set in settings.

Really annoying. Come on Nokia.... fail again. What next? Should I skip updates for now on? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

The volume issue is not acceptable and affects everything audio.

This morning after my alarm scared me to death, I thought I'd have a go on Need for Speed.

I muted the volume but the music still kicked in extremely loud.

My natural instinct was to panic and decrease the volume, but as soon as I hit 7 it blasted out full.

At this point I was still in bed and my wife started hitting me so Nokia you really have a lot to answer for.

Can the previous firmware be reinstalled?

1991...........................................................................................................................................................2013
1610 • 5110 • 3210 • 8210 • 8310 • 7210 • 6230 • 6630 • N80 • N70 • N73 • N958GB • N900 • Lumia 800 • Lumia 820
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

I find the alarms too loud now.
It blasts full volume, so not necessary at 7.00 in the morning. It is far too loud now. Its not fair on others who do not need to get up, this needs to be fixed pronto.

@JMB21

It is nothing like a car reving to its limit, that is a terrible analogy. A better one would be like your car alarm going off everytime you open the door.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

Right, rolled back to 11500.

Much better. I wasn't affected by battery problems, never noticed any audio quality problems and the hard key illumination is better off because I can use LED Clock without the buttons being on all night.

Don't know why I upgraded really :smileyfrustrated:

I'll wait and watch the solution.

1991...........................................................................................................................................................2013
1610 • 5110 • 3210 • 8210 • 8310 • 7210 • 6230 • 6630 • N80 • N70 • N73 • N958GB • N900 • Lumia 800 • Lumia 820
Please use plain text.
JBM21

You're quite correct Kevin, you're analogy is far superior. You must be ever so clever. Maybe you deserve a gold star before the bell rings for play time?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

I thought your analogy was spot on to be fair. You put your foot down to drive slowly in traffic and the rev counter redlines, the car accelerates and you hit the car in front. You only wanted a small amount of power but you got the maximum. A physical equivalent of audio.
Please use plain text.
JBM21

@Drof87 #thumbs up#

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
miss_dee

Anyone else still having this problem?? I am sick of being deafened when I receive a text and I'm in the middle of a phone call and the ridiculously loud ringing is quite embarrassing especially at work or in public. Also pretty sure it done some damage to my eardrum listening to music then getting a text ( hadn't put the phone on vibrate) i had ringing in my ear for a while =/ which has gone now but still, it seems a bit dangerous really
Please use plain text.