Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Video camera is rather useless because it won't fo...

Advisor
rmnl

Video camera is rather useless because it won't focus in anything but sunlight.

I am wondering if I'm the only one with this problem, but I think  my the video camera of my Nokia Lumia 800 is almost completely useless, because it doesn't focus in lower (not low, lower) light conditions.

I can only get focus in direct daylight, but as soon as you move into the shade or indoor, the camera is useless. I will not focus!

When I switch the camera app on and press the video icon, the camera will start focussing. It moves from blurry to sharp, but always ends up with blurry as the "focus". It will also not refocus when I start filming and as a result I end up with useless video. 

I've added a demo movie of our cat.

http://media.rmnl.net/previews/vqgHAc2W-ZNi1og3m

Please note that the video in this demo is the actual original file made by the camera. It's served using progressive HTTP and it needs to download first before it plays. To see a streaming version, click here.

I've used the video camera a lot on my old iPhone, especially to capture moments of our kids, but with the Lumia it's simply impossible now, because most of these moments are indoor.

In the settings there's an option to turn auto focus on or off, but that doesn't seem to fix/break anything.

Is anybody else experiencing the same problem? I would like to find a solution!

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Re: Video camera is rather useless because it won't focus in anything but sunlight.

To be honest have had my Lumia for a couple of months and had not tried the video out untill I saw your post. Mine seems ok the odd time I could see that it was not focusing quite right I just tapped on the screen and it seem to ajust the focus correctly, so have you tried this as it did the job for me?

Hope it helps and Happy New Year to one and all.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
smhprojects

Re: Video camera is rather useless because it won't focus in anything but sunlight.

Hi there - I have same problem. Even in bright sunlight when a cloud moves across the sky and the light changes the camera goes out of focus.Latest software release 20/01/12 has not solved rthe isssue

The work around is to go into settings - turn off auto focus, save, come out, go in again, turn on ....

That is a bad solution as the thing you want to film has gone !!

The Nokia N8 that I still own was fantastic so dissapointed with this weakness

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Flakmonkey

I find this an occasional issue too, as a workaround try turning auto focus off then on again before you start recording, this seems to kick it into life and usually works for me. Or you can just turn auto focus off altogether once its set to your desired distance before recording.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

This gives some useful info on the Lumia Video Camera 

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/13757_Nokia_Lumia_800-Part_2b-Camcor.php

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.