Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP7.8 WP8

Sage
newneotoo

WP7.8 WP8

[ Edited ]

PLEASE NOTE: If your are new to this thread please go here first!

Hi folks just a quick post re the above.

WP 7.8 is a perfectly good trade off for existing Lumia customers, the phone sodn't have NFC they don't have multiple cores, they don't have multiple resolutions.

But with 7.8 we are getting the some of the features our current Lumia's will support, sounds good to me.

For me come the new WP8 handsets from Nokia I will be jumping in.

What is really dissapointing abot this forum is the constant **bleep** about features that are not on WP but are on Symbian.. Why was no research done? I just don't understand.

Listen folks you are welcome to moan and grumble and generally gnash teeth but for me this place right now is poison.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I share similar opinions to you, respect for posting them!

I bought my Lumia 900 in the full knowledge that this would happen and i'm happy with the situation. My Lumia 900 will still get major updates and bug fixes, will still get new apps and any apps I buy will be able to be used on any future WP8 phones I buy.

Nothing has been taken away from me and i'll continue enjoying my Lumia 900 until the time comes to upgrade to something else.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

Good to hear you guys have money to buy new €500+ smartphones every 6 months or so. More power to you.

As far as updates to Lumia 900, on what do you base your optimism? I'm pretty sure it can't be MS/Nokia's recent track record with supporting older platforms.

Plus, most of the stuff in the Lumia interface is just stupid. No indication whatsoever you've missed a call unless you press the lockscreen button? A single volume control? No way to close stuck applications except reboot your phone? Text message delivery information displayed like it's the 90's again? Having to spend several seconds waiting for and moving a cursor to edit text you entered three keypresses ago? Remember, this is WP7.5, an upgrade from WP7. How much do you think they'll improve with WP7.8? How many updates do you expect after WP8 is released? Based on what they did with Symbian, I'm expecting 0.

Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell. I'd be happy to be as optimistic as you guys.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

Thanks I'm glad you agree Psychomania. I don't feel stiffed, there is some frustration sometimes but to read some of the posts on here.. Well to say I find some of it disproportionate would be an understatement.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

@roope70

Nokia has clearly stated that they will continue to support existing models through updates and new apps, I suggest you read some news that has been released by them as some have already been showcased.

Plus why would I have to replace my $500+ smartphone after 6 months? If i'm still happy with it after 6 months there is nothing stopping me from carrying on using it and enjoying it for as long as I wish. There's always newer, better phones six months down the line from almost all manufacturers, it does not mean that we have to instantly buy them! 

What exactly has Nokia or Microsoft taken away from you?

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

It's not every 6 months, I have 3 phones on contract so I get different upgrades at different times.

You missed my point completely, where was the research when you purchased your phone? Here in the UK you have a 14 day cooling off period with pretty much every operator, that is plenty of time to send it back.. To simple?

For me the interface is lovely but you know that's just my opinion, I hated symbian clunky and slow. Wasn't a fan of Android (guess what, I sent it back) and I was completely bored with IOS.

You talk about updates as if it's a negative, I want to see a constantly evolving os whichis what is happening with WP..

Maybe you are wrong and yes I am always an optimist.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

Psychomania,

The Lumia interface is filled with elementary issues like I described above. I'm not buying anything MS/Nokia says about their upgrade policy at the moment. Besides, given that 7.5 is this terrible, I'm not putting much faith in 7.8, and I'm almost certain we will get 7.8 and then goodbye. Thus far they've basically just said they're adding the same tiles WP7.8 as WP8 has, so I'm going by that.

What they took away from me was €500+ when I bought this new phone thinking it was great and then learning two days later that it's going to be secondary at best regarding prioritisation. The only thing that kept me hopeful for those two days was that they might  make it tolerable at some point.

I could have stuck with my terrible N97 mini until WP8 had I not been fooled by the marketing. Lumia 900 came on the market here in late May. Maybe 3 weeks is a good lifetime for a top (priced) smartphone, I don't know.

EDIT: I should probably just bow out of the WP7.5/7.8/8 discussion with this message. I've posted my say in way too many threads already.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Well you obviously have issues with WP in general that's deeply personal to you and your usage. I suggest you sell it and move on, a bit like I have done with past products that I did not like (or failed to research fully before purchase).

Personally I'm very happy with the current OS, that is why I upgraded from an 800 to a 900. Even before I got the 800 I knew the OS had limitations (like all OS's do) but also knew it had great strength in other areas. The pros outweigh the cons for me but I fully understand that it's not suitable for everyone.

You've made your point now, and it's clear what you need to do.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

[ Edited ]

Amazing ... Just a few days ago a lot of the Lumia owners were eagerly awaiting the WP7.5 Refresh (aka Tango) and now it looks like everybody is freaked out at not getting WP8. That is just the way it goes in this industry: you buy a device, are happy with it (or not) use it, get support for it (sort of)  and the industry moves on.

I have my Lumia 800 on a 2 years contract since November 2011. So end of 2013 I can shop for a new device and until then I am quite satisfied with my Lumia (still waiting for the Tango Update tough and perhaps WP7.8 at the end of the year).

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

[ Edited ]

^ we are upset at being cut out of all future updates and new architecture for apps.  

The first Iphone will be compatible with I0S6.  A day old Lumia will not be compatible with many new basic apps in 2013 unless specifically reengineered for "OLD" WP.

Game over WP.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

@DeathFromAbove

Utter bull iPhone 2g is not compatible IOS6 nor is the 3g, the 3gs will get a very cut down version of it hell even the 4 won't get the turn by turn navigation present in Apple Maps oh and Siri anyone?

What this has to do with Nokia I do not know.

If you are goin to just come in here and post that you kind of prove my point in the original post.

Game over WP? I don't think so.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

@deathfromabove

You will still get major updates and new apps, it's not like it's being abandoned and the majority of app developers aren't instantly going to drop support for the existing phones. There will be a transition period where apps are released for both WP7.8 & WP8. Plus any apps bought in WP7.8 will continue to work in WP8.

Nobody has taken anything away from you and there's plenty of life left in the existing phones, even long after WP8 handsets hit the market nearer the end of the year. It's not like your existing phone is going to suddenly stop working!

If you really feel it's game over WP then it's obvious what you need to do. Moaning about it on a support forum will achieve nothing at all. If you feel hard done to then vote with your feet.

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

[ Edited ]

Calm down newneotoo, you sound like a FanBoy.  How come all the people I know with the old Iphone can use all the latest apps? It is the same architecture.  WP8 leaves the lumia's behind and extremely quickly.  6 months and its obsolete?

Lumia is a dead duck.  Even if it is not the way the communication of the new WP8 has been made leaves me and most others bamboozelled, dissillusioned and ready to walk to IOS6.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

I've seen a few references to a 14 day cooling off period in the U.K. That is not correct. There is a cooling off period for distance selling i.e. of bought on line. If you buy in a shop, whether its a new contract or an upgrade there is not any requirement to allow a cooling off period. Some operators might give 7 days but they're not obliged to. I understand most don't.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

@deathfromabove

Not a fanboy in the slightest and thank you but I am calm. My iphone 3g does have compatibility issues with some apps just like some Android devices do.

IOS6, well that is your choice as I say for me..Nah boring done don't like it anymore I am enjoying my Lumia and no it's not obsolete.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

Caitlin

O2 offer a cooling off period, I know because I used it when I got a Galaxy s 2. returned it no muss no fuss.

Someone I know had a GS3 from Vodafone he lasted 3 days with it returned it and went back to his iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AnilRajGreat

[ Edited ]

Here is what Nokia should come up with.

For the existing Lumia 900 users, give a discount of $100 on the W8 phones.

Having said that, I don't have any qualms about buying Lumia 900.

It is a great phone.

And Win7.8 will make it better.

Please use plain text.
Lioneer

[ Edited ]

Oh how ironic for me.  I got my Lumia 900 2 days ago.  I didn't even have it 24 hours before the announcement of it's impending obsolescence.  Good thing Rogers has a 15 day return policy. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

The legal position in UK as opposed to the individual anecdotal evidence is there is a statutory 7 day cooling off period for online sales only. Some Sellers might give longer but it is at their discretion.
There is no legal cooling off period for in shop sales. My t-mobile contract has none, orange doesn't and vodafone in my one experience of them doesn't. So if anyone is feeling they've missed out by taking more than 14 days to realise Lumia isn't for them,don't worry-you're not. You'd already lost that by the time you walked out of the shop.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

Why are you bringing the legal side of things into this?

o2 have a cooling off period Vodafone have one too. I know because a friend as I say returned a GS3.. Simple

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1000&LEVEL_ID=0&PARTITION_ID=...

Please use plain text.