Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP7.8 WP8

Sage
newneotoo

[ Edited ]

@lioneer

It's not obsolete..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
erikread

[ Edited ]

Full disclosure...after the announcement that my 2 month old Lumia 900 was not going to get WP8 I went back to my iPhone 4S. I did this not because my phone will be obsolete but because the platform will be obsolete. The Windows Phone platform growth will stagnate until WP8 comes out...October, November. The Lumia 900 had a decent launch but how many people will buy any WP7.5 phone knowing that the platform will be obsolete in a few short months. Android and iPhone market share will continue to increase. The WP market share (at 2.2%) will fall and few actually useful apps will be written in the next few months. That's my problem with this whole mess.

I also don't think developers will continue to support the WP7.5/7.8 platform once 8 comes out. Is the small market share of that audience worth it? I guess only time will tell.

Very disppointed.

Please use plain text.
skitchh963

[ Edited ]

this is a great phone!! nothing phone wise has changed, it still as buttery smooth now as it was before they introduced what some of wp8 features will be, wp7.8 update sounds great, but im positive thier will be more, we have 100,000 + apps available, how many do you need? maybe your fave isnt thier, what says it would be in the future? I had a conversation one day with a student she was from India, she asked me what kinda phone I had, i told her it was  a Nokia lumia 900, she raved about how good Nokia is In India that everyone uses that brand in India, she was glad to see Nokia in the U.S. she believes they make the best phones at a great price value. Ive had my phone for 43days I'm not sorry about my purchase at all. I love my phone. and when its time for  a new one when my contract lets me get a new one, I will see what Nokia & windows has to offer. Enjoy the life of your phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

[ Edited ]

erikread wrote:  I went back to my iPhone 4S. I did this not because my phone will be obsolete but because the platform will be obsolete.

The ironic thing about the iPhone 4S is depending on what Apple has planned for the iPhone 5, iPhone 4 us may be in the exact same situation. May not be the case though, Apple seems to be running out of ideas.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cerebrix

[ Edited ]

what **bleep** me off is sure, theres 100000 apps. but after spending hours going over review sites, and looking at the marketplace. only like 20 appealed to me. not 1 game appealed to me.

now if this had been lets say, 8 months from now, i would have been ok with it. but 2 months later finding out that my phone likely wont have any decent games really **bleep** me off.

i trusted nokia to handle this right.  if they knew wp8 was this close.  pushing out a 7.5 device was irresponsible.  it was a cash grab and yeah, im **bleep** that i got suckered into funding their wp8 phone development.

samsung gets my next upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

With recent events we, as moderators, decided to leave this thread in place even though it's contents are actually not in line with the forum guidelines. But we understand and appreciate that our forum member would like to voice their opinions on these events, good or not.

We would however like to stress that we can not allow personal attacks, abusive language and/or posting of wild and baseless claims and statements. Please be sensible in your posts so we can continue to allow this discussion to go on.

Thanks you all for your co-operation.

Kosh

NOTE: If you came here from the thread's start you can get back there from here.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

@caitlin1759

Hi,

I'm on the O2 network as well and can confirm you do have up to 14 days to return the device if you are not happy with it.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
whyJoe

[ Edited ]

The whole emotional contents of some of these posts is wild. Not too long ago, HTC abandoned buyers of the Titan I by ignoring their constant call-quality "known issue," which they fixed by pushing out a Titan II 6 months later. Titan I customers got no resolution. My Samsung Series 7 laptop, new in November, has a graphics card problem Samsung calls a "known issue." Guess what? Fixed in their new models, and no fix for me.

Nothing remotely so nefarious is happening here, and that is par for the course in the electronics industry. Lumia 900s will continue to get updates, fixes and support from Nokia. Windows Phone 7 will not be "dead" when wp8 comes out, your phone will keep working and work well, and all your apps will too. and you app devs will probably keep updating those apps, and more, in fact, will come out. (wp7 apps run on wp8, so those devs get a big boost in audience). The Wp7 marketplace isn't shutting down.

If, on the other hand, you think wp7.5 is "terrible" than probably no amount of updates will make you Iike the platform. sell it. Buy yourself a nice Galaxy S III. Sure there's the keyboard lag and no, you won't get more than a single update, but you won't have to worry about any kind of platform reset in the next two years. (Oh, wait...)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kalel16

[ Edited ]

i agree..

Nokia and Carriers should allow Early upgrades for all Lumia 710/800/900 owners when WP8 phones come out. and With some discounted price everyone would be happy...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with Kalel16 (early upgrade)

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

@newneotoo
Are your aware how many years ago iphone 2G, 3G and 3GS were released? Even if phone 4 doesn't get all the features of ios6 it is still 2 generations behind iphone 5.

Has any other company made expensive smartphones which are obsolete in 6 months and while still the flagship device.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@KennyKB

Of course I'm aware how old those devices are... I'm not sure I get your point?

Lumia 900, 800 710 610 will not be obsololete come the 4th quarter this year, that has been clearly stated. We will get a cut down version of the OS a bit like what Apple does you know.

Oh and while we're on the subject of iPhone as soon as the 3g came out yes the 2g was pretty much a brick. It was **bleep** the day it came out, nice proof of concept but **bleep**.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

We appreciate that this topic has caused some concern amongst our customers.

Windows Phone 8 is not simply an upgrade to the existing 7.x series, it is a new development based on the same kernel as Windows 8, and should therefore provide improved inter-operability between mobile and desktop devices.

Windows Phone 8 also has new requirements concerning the hardware configuration, and it is for this reason that current Windows Phone 7.x devices will not be able update to Windows Phone 8, there will be certain elements of WP8 which depend on the new system architecture which will not be portable to our current Lumia products.

However, this does not mean that existing products based on WP 7.x are obsolete, and neither Nokia nor Microsoft is abandoning customers with phones from the current Lumia range. Updates adding new features such as WiFi Hotspot internet sharing and access to new apps like Camera Extras began this week, and your current Nokia Lumia phone will also get Windows Phone 7.8 in the future which will bring some of the benefits of WP8 to you.

Furthermore, improvements to your Lumia user experience will also continue with key apps, including:

• The Nokia Maps family (Drive, Maps, Transport, City Lens Beta and Pulse).
  • Nokia Music with Mix Radio.
  • Great new games from Zynga.

We will continue to share details on further developments in the Nokia Lumia range as soon as they become available.

Kind regards,
MichaelS
Community Manager

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nanzprateek

Honestly I am quite dissapointed too. I absolutely love Windows phone 7.5 but at the same time I wanted the Apollo update as well. I didn't buy a device for it to become a legacy device in a few months !! Early adopters of the platform are being literally used as beta testers and then they say beta testing is over when they release a shiny new Lumia 900. 

I understand that a lot of hardware dependent features cannot be brought onto the old devices but Windows phone 7.8 update containing only the new start screen ? Really you call that an update ?? What about all other hardware independent stuff like skype integration and most importantly Internet Explorer 10 ?? We all need the new browser right ?

Secondly, the fact that now native code apps can be written and they won't be backwards compatible really jeopardises the identity of the current Lumia line up. What if all the new Windows phone apps from big companies use native code for performance enhancements ? That would leave out all current windows phone customers devoid of those apps. 

These are my 2 main areas of concern and if u are another windows phone user, I am damn sure they concern u too. And all those talking about them being satisfied without these things...... absolute **bleep** !! in your heart you want these updates and u know it so stop trying to act all satisfied as if u made a great deal.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Forceflow

nanzprateek wrote:smileyfrustrated:econdly, the fact that now native code apps can be written and they won't be backwards compatible really jeopardises the identity of the current Lumia line up. What if all the new Windows phone apps from big companies use native code for performance enhancements ? That would leave out all current windows phone customers devoid of those apps. 

That, a thousand times that. Everything else I could live with! Native code will be very convenient for a LOT of app programmers and I am sure they will flock to it. Not because they don't want to supoprt older WP versions but simply because it's so much more convenient for them to program the apps. I predict that shortly after the first WP8 phones hit the market a lot of third party apps will be WP8 only simply because of this. Once WP8 reaches a good market share over WP7 (which I think will happen in about half a year after the release) WP7 apps will be very, very limited :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage

newneotoo wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: If your are new to this thread please go here first!

Hi folks just a quick post re the above.

WP 7.8 is a perfectly good trade off for existing Lumia customers, the phone sodn't have NFC they don't have multiple cores, they don't have multiple resolutions.

But with 7.8 we are getting the some of the features our current Lumia's will support, sounds good to me.

For me come the new WP8 handsets from Nokia I will be jumping in.

What is really dissapointing abot this forum is the constant **bleep** about features that are not on WP but are on Symbian.. Why was no research done? I just don't understand.

Listen folks you are welcome to moan and grumble and generally gnash teeth but for me this place right now is poison.

First there is NO phone with "multiple resolutions". They are manufactured with one resolution screen. Though I understand that the OS in itself "could" cope with different resolutions so that if you used it one phone with a more pixels it'll work without a rewrite o/t video-drivers. I fail to see why 800x480 can't be one of these "multiple resolutions?  

WP7.8 will not get any true features from WP8 except the pure cosmetic ones. Having more colours for your tiles is insignificant compared to the lack of full 2-way call recording or full Bluetooth transfers to name a few.

"What is really dissapointing abot this forum is the constant **bleep** about features that are not on WP but are on Symbian.. Why was no research done? I just don't understand."

I can say the same against Nokia. Why haven't Nokia done some research themself. They ought to realize that some users DO use that FM-transmitter or DO use 2-way call recording (otherwise there wouldn't be such a plethora of call-recording programs, would it?). They should have known that going from a a full-multitasking phone to a non-multitasking phone is not PROGRESS! Especially not for a suposedly flagship device and especially since MSFT themselves always said that WP7 was not designed to be a "high-end" OS.

And on top of that are the quality issues like battery-problems, abysmal audio quality and volume etc...), **bleep** Pentile screens, Purple tints etc.. Compared to the N8 their Windows Phone flagship devices are horrible! Bad screens, bad  batteries, too fragile build quality, bad after sales services and a dead platform after LESS than a year. 

We WILL keep moaning until Nokia starts to listen and actually do something to improve this. And firing your workforce is NOT the solution! Sticking your head in the sand is not the solution either!

And removing posts like mine or ban me isn't not the solution either. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

newneotoo wrote:

[snipped]

You missed my point completely, where was the research when you purchased your phone? [snipped]

I didn't purchase mine. It belonged to a friend who bought in February and had to send it for repair due to various problems (battery, audio etc...). When he got it back the problems (as i predicted) were still there. In the end he didn;t even use the phone. Since he couldn't get out of his 2-year contract he'd therefore had to pay every month for a cell phone which he loathed.

I gave him my N8. Upgraded the N8 with Belle, all the latest maps and software that he needed, setup his PC syncing and in return he dumbed the Lumia 800 on me. A month later that Lumia got broken and went into repair. It's still in repair which is gonna cost me +300 euros.

Unlike my Nokia 701 which i love, I simply hate that Lumia **bleep**. If only the C7/701 had the same 8MPixel autofocus camera  as the Lumia 800/N9 instead of that EDoF module.That would have been just perfect. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Your point about research is spot on.Remember for example when the Nokia Situations app was issued? Nokia were rightly proud of it. iPhone didn't have it. Android did but it was complicated.

I think newonetoo's stance is disingenuous, this was supposed to be the flagship device, did Nokia really think losing so many features wouldn't matter as we'd have made a checklist of all these features, ticked them all off as missing and still thought it was ok?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
whatsol

I personally dont care if my lumia 800 will be upgraded to wp8 or not. but after using it for a couple of weeks i reliased that it should be upgraded to wp8 by removing the features which could run on it.

the current windows 7.5 is by no means a stable mobile os. there are lots of issues and restrictions. i can not transfer documents from computer, i can not download mp3s from webpages, onenote 2007 files are not recoznised, can not mark 2 numbers as mobile in a contact, can not send files through bluetooh, i can geotag photos but can not view geotags, yahoo mail sent folder is different, can not reshare feeds from people app, etc, etc.

These features are nowadays common in almost all mobiles. it does not make sense to check these feaures when bying a new phone!! i came accross these restrcitions only when using it.

secondly it seems that microsoft is not making wp for users' pleasure but for corporations. almost all restrcitions are either to further ms desktop software usage or to keep happy music industry.

I have stopped suggesting people to buy windows phone and nokia as well. there are problems with not only wp but with hardware as well.

Please use plain text.
Eugeen

Hi, The best phone I had came from HTC HD2 With Wp 6.5 and it was fantastic.

This WP7  and next  is back in time, really  the tills used  now are worse than the fantastic icons layout before. Maybe I am old fashion. I'm very disappointed that's wa i find of wp7.

Please use plain text.