Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

WP8 – It’s official!

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

WP8 – It’s official!

[ Edited ]

PLEASE NOTE: If you are new to this thread please go here first!

Hi all!

Great news from the Windows Phone Developer Summit in San Francisco! Windows Phone 8 has been officially announced now. Check out all the details via Nokia Conversations! http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/20/nokia-at-the-windows-phone-8-unveiling/ (Make sure you also check out the other articles there – we published quite a bit today around Windows Phone!)

But most important for all of you who already have a Lumia (like myself): The Lumia 900, Lumia 800, Lumia 710 and Lumia 610 will receive an update with new Windows Phone 8 features, including the new start screen.  They will also get a couple of updates that will deliver new features like wifi tethering, flip-to-silence and media content streaming.  We are also introducing new applications like Camera Extras exclusively for our Lumia range, games coming from Zynga (the makers of Farmville), as well as updates to Nokia’s location-based signature experiences like Nokia Drive and Nokia Transport.

As always, we’ll announce the respective updates here on the forum as soon as they are going live.

Best regards,

Yvonne from Nokia Care

Please use plain text.
BigRegret

Re: WP8 – It’s official!

No skype and native code support for my one month old l800? Good job. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

Great. Presume it will be another "imminent" nokia release!!!! 

Luckily my second Lumia should be back from warranty repair sometime in the next 6months to avail of said new basic feature adds!!

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
boxcar

I don't want to be stuck with old outdated apps :smileysad:

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/06/20/fa...t-work-on-wp7/
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

I get the distinct impression the community are underwhelmed by this exciting news.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vl_leo

symbian = burning platform

meego = burning platform

windows phone 7.8 = burning platform

Do not bother to bring the lumia 900 to belgium, people would be stupid to buy one.

I don't think you are going to sell many phones until the end off the year.

The 7.8 update is just some sugar to swallow the medicine  :-(

Always was a Nokia fan, now very disappointed.

sorry .... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Luminato

WP 7.8 will be tolerable if it includes EVERY feature of WP8 minus the features that absoluetly require new hardware, such as the NFC chip.

Sadly, right now it doesn't seem that 7.8 will bring everything.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kads

I gona buy the 808 the last Nokia I will own it´s a NOKIA, and Symbian is ready for use Lumia is not.
Nokia has shoot it self in the foot again selling phones that are dead after 6month.
It´s a Meego sell again a lots of hope and then Flop it.
My Lumia 800 is now a dead parrot outdated before getting air under the wings.

O I´m a whery happy Nokia Customer...... first Burn Symbian, then Burn Meego
and now Burn all Lumia that´s are sold & in stock at resellers.....
When will the Stock owners wake and call the firemen to stop this circus?

Why?

Kads
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

Fool me once.....you will not fool me twice.....bye bye WP. You have no hope and do not deserve a hope after treating early adoptors like this.

It would have cost an extra €5 to put a dual core in the lumia and made it comparible.

A disgrace.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

^excellent.

Dont forget the extremely useful Word and Excel....un-usable.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

Not my list though, unfotunately. I've actually seen one with 110 items, but it wasn't as well grouped.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

A couple more off the top of my head, not sure if they are in the list already:
102. You can't save SMS templates. Meaning, if you use your phone for something like ordering a taxi to the same location via SMS often, you always have to re-type the address.
103. Messaging delivery reports are shown among regular SMS's, not in a separate folder like they have been for the last 10 years.
104. Alarm times are set with scrollable lists instead of simply typing the numbers. The "minute" field is basically a 60 item dropdown list.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dahaka7

How this is great news is beyond me.... You're basically telling us that a your phones, I bought mine just a week ago, will be obsolete by the end of this year... A new home screen, a photos app and some time wasting games from Zynga does not hold up to the expectations I had when I bought my device. Since when did Nokia start treating its devoted user as children... Nokia is basically tricking its customers into thinkin that the current phones limup still has value when I'm 100% sure that Elop and Nokia know for a fact that the current linup has gone to waste...

Seriously this the stupidest move from MS an Nokia as I dont see anyone will be interested in buying any WP7 phone til the end of this year and maybe longer, who knows... I currently feel like as if I'm a beta tester for MS and Nokia... Well I dont remember signing up for such role.... Do they really think that such announcement is great news for current users? Can Nokia really keep up with its upcoming 6 months of pure losses? And again I dont care about stupid lookin tiles... We current lumia owners need up to date apps...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jibber

[ Edited ]

Agreed this is this not good news! 2 months old devices are now classed as old 'legacy devices' and apps developed in WP8 aren't going to backwards compatible.

As a developer I wonder if there is any point really investing in WP7 as everything is going towards WP8 leaving all us early adopters dead in the water!!

Majorly disappointing!!! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Daniel209

We’re all betrayed by Nokia and Microsoft. As an early Lumia 800 buyer I was constantly surprised with disappointments. Battery problems, lack of apps (yeah, professional developers will now say goodbye to Win 7.8), and the entire 101 list above and more, now this. See you later Nokia, I am looking forward to your destruction.

I just got smoked by an effin Windows Phone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

The Smartphone Beta Test is Over!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Are you guys SERIOUS!

It's called technology, and it moves, it moves super fast! What do you expect companies to do, just sit idle while others move ahead of them? it's a never ending race to be ahead and if you can't understand or accept that, don't buy technology. It's as simple as that! The way you guys are talking, we'd all still be using dumb phones because companies shouldn't advance.

I own a Lumia 900, I like it, I use it and I'm happy with it. I knew Windows Phone 8 was coming out at the end of this year, I also knew it wouldn't be fully supported, still bought it, why, because for me, it's exactly what I want and what I need right now. Tomorrow, I'll look forward to the Lumia 1000 or whatever they call it with higher resolution and 48mpx camera. Looking forward to that very much! You don't buy technology to last, you buy what you need now because tomorrow there will always be something better.

The only mistake Microsoft seems to have made was to call the current generation update Windows Phone 7.8 instead of calling it Windows Phone 8. The funny thing is it would still be the same update since most of the features require new hardware but everyone would happily install it, and then fall in love with a new Windows Phone 8 device with new hardware. Only difference is people wouldn't be whining right now. It's funny how perception changes everything.

Really guys, come on, really, are you serious?

Please use plain text.
AlirezaLumia

[ Edited ]

i will never buy nokia again 

i have symbian and nokia burn symbian

i have lumia and nokia burn lumia

nokia you are a fooler you must introduce lumia series after win 8 release when you know lumia dont update to wp8

my salary per month is 400$ and i bought lumia 600$ 2 weeks later after this mistake i think this is the feauture and i have a best phone ever but...

now i have an old phone and nokia & microsoft want to give me additional chocolate (wp8 UI & camera Software) to satisfy me

i have nokia from my first phone to now but now i hate you nokia and i dont do this mistake again to buy a new phone with nokia brand and wp operating system

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

just to clarify some things: Some of the additional features of WP8 are hardware specific (like NFC), and that's the reason they don't come to the older Lumia range. Nevertheless, I'm perfectly happy at the moment with my Lumia - it gets regular updates at the moment, and that will continue in the future! With Windows Phone 7.8 being delivered to all Lumia devices, the Lumia experience will continue to evolve taking on a new, fresh look and feel. 

When it comes to apps: those apps that do not rely on new hardware features (again like NFC) will be available to run both Windows Phone 8 AND Windows Phone 7.5. So, you still get new apps continuously!

Regarding the timing of the updates, as usually we can't announce a date in advance but we'll inform you through our Care support channels (incl. the forum here) as soon as we are going live. I'll be then opening a new thread for the new updates here telling you exactly what new features are included, so keep your eyes on the board here. =)

Best regards,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

"The only mistake Microsoft seems to have made was to call the current generation update Windows Phone 7.8 instead of calling it Windows Phone 8. The funny thing is it would still be the same update since most of the features require new hardware but everyone would happily install it, and then fall in love with a new Windows Phone 8 device with new hardware. Only difference is people wouldn't be whining right now. It's funny how perception changes everything."

Do you think they will fix everything that is terribly wrong with WP7.5 in the first version of WP8 (see the list above)? Do you really think they will ever provide another upgrade for non-WP8 phones after WP7.8? Do you really think this is a perception issue? My only hope was to see an upgrade that would let me do things like call a friend without a gazillion gestures or use custom ringtones. Now I know it will never happen, no matter how much they claim it will (they've shown they don't care). Sorry for whining about spending hundreds of euros on this piece of junk. It's technology, after all. Technology is NEW TILES. Yay!

Please use plain text.