Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP8 Nokia Lumia 810 "Other" Storage!

Contributor
BBMOHR48

WP8 Nokia Lumia 810 "Other" Storage!

[ Edited ]

I purchased two Nokia Lumia 810 WP8 phones on 12/31/2013. As of Monday, February 18, 2013 I can no longer install updates, take photos & videos; therefore playing games is also not an option since the phone cannot be updated because it continues to state it's "full" no available space. It does ask if I want to change the setting to save to my SD card which I've configured since day 1. I have a 16gb SD card with 9gb available which I cannot do anything with. I haven't even started paying for our phones and can't even use it.  I've deleted many apps leaving me with pretty much the basics, turned off my back up since I ead the back up is saved to the phone, deleted Internet history/browsing, messages, call logs, I have no music and 100 photos...no vidie....seriously, haven't had the phoneslong enough to load up on pics as I typically do. I have 1,600 photos in my iPhone with 6gb available. Has anyone taken this any higher...media, Facebook, Twitter etc?? This is totally unacceptable.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBMOHR48

I meant December 31, 2012 phones were purchased.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

What is the size of your "Other" folder? You can check by going to Settings>Phone storage>Phone. Also have a look at the available free space while checking.

Have you download a lot of map data for Nokia Maps? Could trying removing those you don't need anymore. Can always download when you need them again. They will be out of date by the time you need them again anyway. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBMOHR48

Hi! The phone itself came with 8gb, right now the "other" storage is 4.81gb. I continue to delete apps just to make sure I can get calls but seriously, this is not what I should need to do to use a new $500 cell. No maps, back to using my Garmin, no pics so I'm back to carrying around my iPhone just to take pics. Since I deleted Kids Corner apps I'm carrying my tablet around for my gson to use. I never even had a chance to use the maps, just looked at the services not realizing I'd be deleting them a couple of months later. Storage: Phone used 7.41, available 0. My 16g SD card used 5.89g, 5.97mb other, 8.99g available. Can't move anything from the phone to my SD card either, frustrating. Thanks for any help you can suggest. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
aleisha11

The Other category consists mostly of various operating system caches (temporary files), Maps and 3rd party application data. Also e-mail, calendar, contacts and Office application data counts towards this figure. 

The figure shows how much content, downloaded through normal use of the phone and remains available for re-use. For example, when the phone is used to browse the Internet,  or install applications and application updates. The caches related to these functions grow in size correspondingly. Another contributor to growth of this category is Maps data. Whether it is downloaded on-demand when browsing around in Nokia Maps or when you download the maps of entire countries or other regions for off-line use. Furthermore, Photos, Music and Video create an index that grows with number the files located in Phone memory and in any inserted micro-SD card.

Hope this clarifies. :smileyhappy:

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

It's a dynamically allocated space, basically the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it. But it will release it if it is needed for other purposes. Simple way to test this is to copy a number of large, say movie, files to the phone. It will make the 'Other' storage smaller as you copy more data to the phone. Also if you record video or photos they will be in the 'Other' storage until you copy them to a PC after which they will be in normal storage and the space they occupied in 'Other' is released to the system.

Since I got my lumia 620 so I had the chance to play a bit with this. It must be noted that the 620 comes with Portico installed so it may not apply to WP8 before that.

After I installed my apps (total of 1.6 GB, about 65 apps total) and not doing anything else there was an 'other' section of 4.4GB on the phone with obviously little left, something like 1.5 GB or so..

I copied about 6 videos which were 350MB each to the phone internal storage and for the 1.4GB required it took about 800MB from the 'other' space and the rest from the remaining available space. When I removed the videos again it released all space to available.

I reset the phone and it kept the 'other'space at the amount it was after I removed the video.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

@Paul

Interesting theory. It would explain why the "Other" folder on my 920 is down to just over 1gb. I recently removed a lot of videos. Will test it out on my 820 which is still showing around 3.5gb but hasn't increased in the last month.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

It's not a theory. Microsoft clearly explains that the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it for it's own use now or in the future. This includes storing pictures and videos.. It will however release this space as required when you copy you own stuff to the storage on the phone.

In all honesty this behaviour makes perfect sense. As with many other 'issues' people seem to simply assume something is wrong or bad when they see something unexpected happen (taking the battery percentage in settings>battery saver at face value for one..). Spending a few minutes researching it instead of going off on a rant is usually much more productive..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, it is a theory; since the reality is completely different; irrespective of what you have read from Microsoft. 

Have you not read the remarks of the original questioner; or his subsequent post regarding what he has to do to continue using his phone?  Unless you think he is lying, it does not matter what Microsoft explain; or about what you theorise.  I can only imagine you are so certain that Microsoft could not mess up in such a way that you too are guilty of not spending “a few minutes researching” this problem.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, people come to these forums to either find solutions or at least try to establish if they, as an individual, have a problem; or if this particular issue is more widespread.  This process is not helped by people treating their issues with contempt, and regurgitating user manuals or press-releases; unless there is obviously a solution, therein.  This questioner clearly has an issue where the phone had become unusable, which you simply gloss over.  I cannot see how this was useful.

I cannot imagine the questioner is any wiser, or has a phone any less useless, after his visit here.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Well the fact I own a WP8 phone, have tested this behaviour and found it to be exactly as Microsoft describes it might be an indication it is not a theory I guess.

On our previous discussion on this I could not really comment either way as at the time I was on a WP7.x device. Now I have been able to verify this I can safely say that, on portico at least, it works as advertised.

I explain in this post what I did. No one is being treated with contempt here, I am merely stating my experience and reporting what I found in doing some actual experiments and tests. I am not saying others do not have an issue or that there could not be an issue, just that I am not seeing in my case. I clearly stated in my response that in my case I was using the portico update which may be the reason why this actually works for me.

What in general does not help is in a discussion which is not hampered by any prejudice or negativism someone feels the need to hijack a thread for his own personal baseless vindication.

---

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

You simply cannot resist it can you?  No, you were not “merely stating my experience and reporting what I found”; for if you had done so, I would have no cause to respond the way I did.  You added, “Spending a few minutes researching it instead of going off on a rant is usually much more productive”; which implies the questioner does not have a problem, but merely a lack of understanding.  Moreover, there is no way that this could be construed, by anyone, as you “not saying others do not have an issue or that there could not be an issue, just that I am not seeing in my case.”  By stating that he could have avoided the complaint by doing some research, you are virtually stating that he only requires ‘educating’; and you definitely stated that his complaint was a “rant”.  I detect nothing that is overly declamatory, angry or vehement in his original question; though I’m sure he would have some justification for feeling frustrated.

Furthermore, you do not ‘merely state’ your position in reply to me; because you add the phrases, “hampered by any prejudice or negativism” and “someone feels the need to hijack a thread for his own personal baseless vindication”.  This clearly implies my judgment is hampered by baseless prejudice, does it not?  I have been a Nokia user, non-stop, for over 20 years; and a Microsoft one (and ardent supporter) for nearly as long.  There is no-one, I suggest, less prejudiced against either organisation than me; except those who are so ‘prejudiced’ as to see any justifiable criticism as ‘ranting’.

In any event, it seems like "this behaviour makes perfect sense" is not something with which even Microsoft’s Windows Phone Design Manager, Joe Belfiore, would agree.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-acknowledges-promises-fixes-for-other-storage-issue/

The fact that he is recommending turning off Sky Drive Auto-upload indicates this is not a “baseless” problem; but one based on reasoned, ‘unprejudiced’ observation.

Like many others, it took me only a few days to recognise a looming problem; and we didn't have anyone pointing it out to us.  You seem to remain oblivious to it, even with literally hundreds of people pointing it out to you, and right up until Microsoft acknowledged it; though perhaps you feel Joe Belfiore has taken to ranting?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Let me just say I was not posting anything specifically targeted at the OP. You read as much into that but I wasn't. A few simple tests show that there appear to be ways to make the issue at least less visable or that what is currently known about it does offer a way to retrieve space.

As I said before it could well be that this has been partly dealt with in Portico or that it's less of an issue with the 620, who knows. Fact is I was able to get around the issue and find a way to get storage back by simply taking what has been posted on this and trying to see if this works, which it does.

It would seem that the WP team had a good idea but in real life it doesn ot work as well as it should. This may partly be because not everything you share in an OS core translates as well to different form factors with different hardware specifications. I am guessing this is partly what Belfiore is saying. No doubt it'll get better. Right now it may take a bit of trickery to get it to work better.

I noticed that once I did what I did to test this the OS has not really grabbed as much storgae as it had before so it seems that going throughthis once does provide a lasting 'workaround' solution.

I'd suggest to leave it that. There obviously is an issue for some more than others and the solution eventually will have to come from Microsoft.

---

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Here's two apps which may be useful if you are having this issue;

Freespace

ShrinkStorage

---

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Agreed.

One point, with regard to the "Shrink Storage" app; I tried it a week or so ago, and recovered some space, so it was useful.  However, whilst it is not an issue for me, I have asked the developer to explain how it fills the unused space (which is the first stage of the operation); and I am yet to recieve an answer.

My concern is that it may be downloading the data, which (if true) might have implications for some users, depending on how they are connected to the data source.  This may also be a non-issue, if it fills that space by some other method; and there are obvious ways to test it, which  have not bothered to pursue.  Nevertheless, I would urge people to be cautious about using it until this question is answered; or perhaps try using it in 'Flight mode', first.

If you have any more detailed information about it, I'm sure it would be useful for people to know; though we all hope it will be rendered moot, as quickly as possible.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HermanFunster

I am having the exact same issue. The other ballons to 4.87 GB and now the phone constantly tells me i am low on storage. I have a 16 GB card in as well with only 5 GB taken. How do you clear this "other" area so the phone thinks there is storage available. Seems like a glitch.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Notwithstanding all that has gone before, Paulheu, you can have as much fun as you like, with this one!

"Fill your boots", as the old saying goes.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I am not one to repeat myself.. The poster might want to actually read a thread  before hitting the reply button..

---

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

This is worth noting...

And this (below) is interesting. I had an "Extras + Info" update today; but obviously can see none of the features shown in the link; since I have not had the firmware update, yet .  It would seem today's OTA update is in preparation for this functionality; though clearly the writer in the blog below did it the other way round.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2013/03/06/new-nokia-lumia-920-firmware-adds-new-storage-management-f...

This appears to me to be a Nokia update; as my OS version is the same as the one shown on the above screenshots at 'mobiletechworld'.  So I can only conclude this is not an MS fix for the 'Other' issue; but more like a Nokia version of the 'Shrink Storage' app. 

I may be wrong about this (and would welcome anyone correcting me); but that is how it appears.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove the link which mentioned an unauthorized software. Either discussing or providing links referring to this software is not allowed on the forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBMOHR48

I'll check out the links tonight. and let ya know how it goes:smileyhappy: Thank you!

*Still no update to fix my cell. Really is useless right now. In order to even receive a text, I need to delete a few pictures..which I'm leaving a few on just so I have something to delete but keep some of the Nokia Apps I don't use?? Never even had the opportunity to use most of the features on this phone. Very upsetting!! No voicemails,  updates...etc! Waiting to see what Nokia's response will be, I just gave my review and it wasn't pretty. Guess it's time to head over to review on Tmobile's site. Sill..if anyone has had any positive feedback that actually worked, please let me know. Yesterday Tmo stated how sorry they were but I was beyond "buyer's remorse"....I purchased them 12/31/2012, I started noticing the issues in February. Now it's 3 months and can't use it.. what if I was in an emergency? No chance...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
paulig

Hi. You seem to have a nasty problem. I have 820 and have similar problems. Others folder will fill up and cannot be cleared or shrinked without shrink storage or similar app. Only photos and videos can be saved to memory cards. Apps will go to main drive. Not a biggy, just can't install any bigger games. One solution for you might be hard reset the phone and all its memory after backing up files (cloud etc).

I'm also hoping a quick fix from MS to this-
Please use plain text.