Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP8 on Lumia 920 Reverse tethering, allow phon...

Contributor
andyca

WP8 on Lumia 920 Reverse tethering, allow phone to connect via PC’s Internet connection?

I have LAN based internet at work, I connect my phone to my PC using a USB cable to charge during the day but there is little to no signal in the office and even if there was I would prefer to use the PC’s internet connection to update my mail, Facebook, and downloads etc.

There is Wi-Fi but it has Certificate and Mac filtering so this cannot be used. I have tried setting up internet connection sharing but the connection to the phone does not show up as an allowed network to share with.

Can I use the internet connection on my PC to allow my phone to connect to the internet?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: WP8 on Lumia 920 Reverse tethering, allow phone to connect via PC’s Internet connection?

Unfortunately not. It will not work as your described but I have a nice little workaround which I use regularly. If you get a small travel wifi router, connect it to the RJ45 port and you have your own little private hotspot using your office internet connection. All you have to do then is to connect your phone to this router. 

I have a little D-Link DWL-D730AP and use it in hotels with wired internet only. Lots of buildings have live RJ45 sockets on walls you can easily connect to. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyca

Re: WP8 on Lumia 920 Reverse tethering, allow phone to connect via PC’s Internet connection?

[ Edited ]

I think I may be shot by IT security if I set up my own Wi-Fi connected to the corporate network in the building :smileyhappy: even if i hid the SSID that would mean my phone would be constantly searching for the network when I am not in the office affecting battery life.

Maybe the WP elves are reading this. 

Moderator's notes: irrelevant part of message removed.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Hide the SSID and set trasmit power to minimum. The only way they will know is if they check the DHCP leases. In any case, if you manage to connect through your pc, you will probably see your phone on the DHCP list as well.

BTW, I have wifi on all the time and still getting 2-3 days. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
viknesh10

Hi.I am using nokia lumia 620.I have the internet connection in my office desktop win7 os.  I need to use the desktop internet to my nokia lumia 620 to surf.

Can anyone please me how to achieve the reverse tethering?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

One possible solution in given in Message 2 of this thread. Did you read it before posting ?

Please use plain text.