Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT...

Advisor
andyshine77
Accepted Solution

Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT&T to the new firmware 1308!!!

Warning!!! Do not update to the new 1308.0001 firmware. The software has a huge bug that causes the data connection to not function properly. If you do update your phone, you will have poor or no data connection whatsoever. Over at Windows Phone centeal a large number of people have reported this issue, including myself. As of now I and many others have no data and poor phone connection, even after preforming the sim card removal and reset Nokia has suggested.

I personally have had battery issues with both of my 920's. My first phone was replaced because of this problem and the replacement has been no better. Until now I could live with an under performing battery, this however is unacceptable, as the phone no longer function as a smartphone. If this is not resolved imeaditly, in one way ot another, I may be forced to canncle my contract with AT&T and buy a new phone of a different make. I honestly regret purchasing the 920, it has been nothind but a headache, and I paid full list for the thing as well.

Please use plain text.
SoundItUp

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT&T to the new firmware 1308!!!

Hi. I'm also on AT&T in the US and I'm not having any mobile data issues. My LTE connection is working fine. I have lost the HELP/Nokia Drive app, but that's another story ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil0311

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT&T to the new firmware 1308!!!

[ Edited ]

I have a 920, as does my wife and son.  We upgraded to the latest firmware and OS update a couple of days ago.   I have none of the issues described.  Neither do they.  That's only 3 phones out of millions, but 100% sample of my family.

I do find it a little interesting that one guy posted about issues and it was picked up by a blogger and then repeated over and over, as if there was a massive problem.  In fact, on this forum, your is the only post about this issue, and and the only responses you've received are from people not experiencing any issue. 

With the Internet, rumor is discussed as fact, and one isolated experience is reported as a massive issue.  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nikkerstilskin

[ Edited ]

Firstly, as for connectivity issues I am personally not experiencing problems...btw when posting anywhere it is good practice to state where you are, what device you're using, and things that you have tried to remedy your situation...i am using a Nokia 920 white on att network...i can't comment on battery life since the new update nor can anybody else until the battery fully cycles about 3 times, previous to the update I have great battery life due to turning off most of the background functioning, using WiFi when avaliable, and turning off Bluetooth and NFC when I am not using them....that is located in settings and then background tasks...also it is useful to propose questions to people instead of just complaints....not trying to be offensive...just my two cents

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

The title is very misleading. It is your opinion, that is all. There are hundreds or thousand 920's on AT&T and to say, don't do it, is wrong.

We, as many , many others have done the update and have seen no problems. We have two 920's and they have never had any problems and continue to do so. This is the first smartphone for my wife, she loves it, very intuitive for her to use.

Now I can see what the 'other' folder is for and how it is used, even though the space used has not been a concern.

Also, it the thread on wpcentral that express no problems with the update.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

[ Edited ]

Well I guess this is the response I was expecting from a manufactures site, the spin doctors are hard at work. Go over to WP central and you see the truth about the 920. If you deny a problem exists, it doesn't exist. 

People all over the world have this issue and Nokia and AT&T are aware of the issue, as I've contacted both of them. Nokia said and I quote " we know their is a data issue with the new firmware and we're looking into it." What's happning is the phone can no longer switch between LTE, 4G, 3G and so on. So if you loose LTE signal it simply drops the connection altogether. My warning is simple, if you upgrade to the latest firmware, you will likely have connectivity issues. Before the update my signal was great, I was getting 22.62mbps download and 10mbps upload, I'm now getting 0.66 down and 0 up. Like I said this is a known issue. If this site doesn't even acknowledge the existance of known issues, what is the poin of this site??

Andy from Cincinnati.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

Just an update. AT&T told me Nokia may be "backtracking the firmware" whatever that means.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil0311

andyshine77 wrote:

Well I guess this is the response I was expecting from a manufactures site, the spin doctors are hard at work. Go over to WP central and you see the truth about the 920. If you deny a problem exists, it doesn't exist. 

People all over the world have this issue and Nokia and AT&T are aware of the issue, as I've contacted both of them. Nokia said and I quote " we know their is a data issue with the new firmware and we're looking into it." What's happning is the phone can no longer switch between LTE, 4G, 3G and so on. So if you loose LTE signal it simply drops the connection altogether. My warning is simple, if you upgrade to the latest firmware, you will likely have connectivity issues. Before the update my signal was great, I was getting 22.62mbps download and 10mbps upload, I'm now getting 0.66 down and 0 up. Like I said this is a known issue. If this site doesn't even acknowledge the existance of known issues, what is the poin of this site??

Andy from Cincinnati.

Andy, dont blame the messenger.  I'm a user like you with zero connection to Nokia.  Sorry you didnt get the response you wanted. 

I also searched all over the net, and the only reports are the ones being repeated from the one guy.  Don't know if an issue exists or the firmware will be pulled, but our 3 phones are fine.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
astroantiquity

Is the 1308 update only available with AT&T at first?

Because, I don't have that with my carrier in the Philippines.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

I believe AT&&T was the first to push out 1308, however you can download it manually. I do not reccomend this as it will delete all saved information and apps, on top of that many people have issues with the firmware. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil0311

Despite Andy's desire to spread FUD, not sure the case can be made that "many people have issues with the firmware."

Andy, can you post some sources and specifics about the problems? I'm sure we all want to be informed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil0311

I'd especially be interested in Nokia discussing withdrawing the update and back-revving the firmware. Please update us with a link and additional information.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

[ Edited ]

Neil0311. All you have to do is go over to Windows Phone Central and click on the Nokia 920 forum, at this time they're 400 posts on this subject. Honestly this site and everyone on it seems to be living in the dark, my guess is that's just fine with Nokia IMHO.

I've been playing a round some and have found at least part of the glitch. Sometimes my phone says I'm in NY or DC when I'm in Cincinnati. When this happens I have little to no reception, when it says I'm in Cincy everything seems OK. I know this locaition issue is common with many 920 phones, but until the update it wasn't an issue and didn't effect reception, now it does.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

[ Edited ]

Neil I have posted information a few times now, your reading comprehension could use some work, same with your spelling. Why do you think I'm a fraud BTW?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mxyztplk

[ Edited ]

Andy, thanks for posting this warning.

Businesses generally proceed on the assumption that it is better to be safe than sorry regarding software (and other technology and processes, for that matter).  I operate on the same basis.  I check the forums before applying software/firmware updates.  Many individuals learn this lesson the hard way.

Note that I have NOT as yet been presented with the 1308 update and so am simply assessing its safety and benefits.

IMO, the 1308 update has not been shown to be safe for application as yet.  Firstly, it has only been out OTA for a few days so there is insufficient real-world experience with it.  Secondly, the reports of cellular connectivity problems, including but not necessarily limited to LTE, appear to me to be quite credible.  Here is the link to the (long) thread that Andy apparently was referencing.  A large number if not most of the posts on this thread regard those cellular connectivity and/or potentially related problems.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/221395-t-nokia-lumia-920-1308-firmware-update-questions-...

I believe that a fair reading of that thread would lead one to believe that there is most probably a real problem with the 1308 firmware update that those posters applied, rather than some kind of "fraud" being perpetrated on the unwary.   I encourage those who may be considering applying the 1308 update to read that thread for themselves and arrive at their own conclusions.

There are a variety of problems that the 1308 update may fix, the temporary storage problem perhaps being the most important to the affected users.  This must be weighed against the risk of the connectivity problem(s) reported with the 1308 update.  Unfortunately, there are insufficient data on that risk to make that assessment at this time.   

I will not be applying this update, if at all, unless and until the reported connectivity problems have been explained to my satisfaction and I can judge the likelihood that I will not be affected, and the time and likelihood of successful recovery if I were to be affected.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

Excellent post. mxyztplk.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sparkedfire

I can confirm that there is indeed a connectivity issue with this update.  Battery performance has improved dramatically however.  I hope that is not at the cost of signal/data reliability.

These are my observations:

-The connectivity problem is not necessarily immediately present.  You can operate problem free for hours, then suddenly web pages or data won't load.  Then you loose signal completely (No Signal Image) and the phone will reconnect over the next 30 seconds (Signal Restored).

-The signal may stay connected to a "slower" data connection temporarily.  In other words, it may stay on 4G(HSPA+) in an LTE area for a short period of time (minutes) before switching back to LTE for example.  This also occurs while traveling into and LTE area from a 4G(HSPA+) area.  It will stay on 4G(HSPA+) for quite some time before changing.

Please use plain text.
shaji1965

I updated last week and am having issues exactly as it's posted here.   LTE connectivity drops frequently,  battery life draining.  Another one is that Nokia Drive Beta doesn;t update.  I get the following error "There is a problem completing your request.  Try again later Error code 805a0194".  This is something other people are having as per the link.  What is Nokia doing about fixing this?  Why doesn't Nokia have better QA before these updates are released?

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1b6zoq/unable_to_connect_to_network_after_update/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/att-nokia-lumia-920-firmware-update-runs-into-issues/

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/15523/20130329/nokia-lumia-920-update-problems-t-connectivity-is...

Please use plain text.
shaji1965

Worked with Nokia tech support via chat and the freaking person said to a hard reset. Did a hard reset and am seeing spinning gears for almost one hour. The person in the chat then recommended that I take it to a warranty center. What's the point of this **bleep** tech support?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KennethC

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from the new connectivity issue.  It's funny because I've had an overheat/battery drain issue since I first got this phone (this is actually the 2nd replacement) and now I can't even use data/make calls (and the battery problem still persists).

Please use plain text.