Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT...

oneor11

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT&T to the new firmware 1308!!!

[ Edited ]

I upgraded to 1308 yesterday and today am experiencing the following symptoms, which led me to this site:

1.  In places with strong LTE, the phone will default to 4G and not connect to LTE permanently

2.  When it does connect to LTE (4 bars) it won't stay there. It will shift to 4G

3.  When the phone is dormant for a while, I will not receive calls or texts.  Upon picking up the phone I find the cellular connection has no service.

4.  When rebooting the phone or switching from airplane mode and back, the cellular connection will remain at No Service for upwards of 5 minutes.

5.  When it does connect to LTE, the data doesn't actually work.  I can have fulled barred LTE, but nothing data-related worked.  It's like a phony signal.

I called Nokia support.  They were kind and helpful.  I soft reset the phone, which make the issue temporarily worse.  It took 10 minutes to connect to the cellular network despite ultra strong LTE coverage.  The next recommendation was removing and re-inserting the SIM card and performing a hard reset.  I haven't tried the latter two options yet.

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

Re: Warning!!!! do not update your Nokia 920 on AT&T to the new firmware 1308!!!

At home I have a 4G connection.  Spent this morning in an LTE coverage area. Everytime I checked it still said LTE, with full bars. When I came home it switched to 4G with the same signal indicated that I always have,

Please use plain text.
pgm4

I am also experiencing connectivity issues with this update. I updated to 1308 over the weekend but did not notice any issues until Monday.

What I am seeing is that the signal represented on the phone appears to be normal (3 LTE bars), however i either cannot get any data connection at all or alternatively it is extremely slow...not anywhere near LTE speeds.

I have tried soft resetting the phone, but that has not resolved the issue. Will reach out to Nokia next.

Please use plain text.
PeopleHubFan

Reading through this discussion, I see several saying they aren't having problems.  My phone show an LTE connection but it doesn't work right.  Before the update, I didn't have any problems.  Now it is very common for connections to time out before bringing up whatever I'm trying to get to.  So, there IS an issue with hte update.  A good example.  I like to play the game Wordament.  Many times I now get an error message that the connection timed out and to retry.  That never happened before the update.  And, as I said before, my phone ALWAYS shows that I have an LTE connection.  Even when I connect to wifi, I sometimes have the problem.  The need to get a fix out quickly!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SquattingHen

I have the same issues since I installed the update. I do believe this update effects everyone, it is just you have to be in a particular environment and notice it when it is happening. I think for most the connection issue is difficult to realize you are having an issue. For example, my phone shows at times I have LTE connection, but if I try to do something, I can't. Then thirty seconds later I can. If I didn't try to use my phone right then, I would not have known.

This update really screwed up my phone. I love my phone and WP8, but man, this really sucks bad. Outside of WiFi, nothing is reliable. Even when the phone shows bars and LTE, it may not actually be connected.

Please use plain text.
r4v3n678

If there is an issue with switch between LTE, 4G, 3G. What happens if you put setting to 3G only meanwhile? Or the operator blocks you from changing that option?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pxdolan

I'm with KennethC

I've had the bettery issues, and with tweaking, they seemed mostly to go away with my 2nd handset. With the 1308 update, I'm having SERIOUS data connection issues. When I have 3 bars of LTE, my browsing stalls and halts. I would LOVE to be able to step back (off LTE and use just 4G) but with the update Nokia has removed/changed the field test codes, so that these options are no longer available!!! I'm trying to work AROUND problems .... and then THAT gets taken away.  Is there any way to roll BACK this last update?

Please use plain text.
naturelover

This is my first post here. I am in the same boat as many of you after the update. I haven't reached out to Nokia support at all, since it was a firmware and only way to rollback is to install previous firmware.

How ever, I deleted my WIFI connection, an left WIFI turned on with all the advance settings unchecked. It seems to help the LTE connection stay and work fine so far. almost two days without any issues. take a stab at it, it might work for you all as well.
Please use plain text.
cannotdraw

Same issue, don't update! It is the worst! I haven't contacted Nokia support as I didn't want to wipe the phone or anything since its a firmware thing. I just wish they would address it publicly and let us know when a fix is due.

I'm so glad Google Voice exists!

US AT&T Lumia 920 Cyan
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

We have forwarded this concern to the relevant department for further investigation. We'll update this board as soon as we receive feedback from them.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
oneor11

I followed the instructions on WPCentral and flashed my phone back to 1232.5951.1249.0001.  All of my LTE connection problems are gone and the phone is working like it did before.   I think that the 1308 update did improve battery life some because I find myself back to my same old battery drain problems.  Or maybe 1308 was better on the battery because my cellular and data service was always off lol. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spatialfx

just putting in my two cents but i am also having lte connectivity issues. but i will mention that my issue isnt as prevalent when im at work, in park ridge, il, but does exist when im at home in chicago.

strange.

Please use plain text.
MisterClean

Hey,

I've had my yellow Nokia Lumia 920 for about a week and before the firmware update the phone was awesome with no issues to speak of. Over the weekend I excitedly installed the firmware update and I noticed the next day I started having connection issues. I've used two different speed test apps and noticed two different things...one is that the connection speeds vary GREATLY from test to test and the second is that sometimes I get no download speeds at all but I'll have a small upload speed. For the first time today I was about to get 30Mbps speed when I was at the ATT store...probably because they have a signal repeater onsite and most of the time I only get about 2-3 Mbps. Another example of an issue after the update is Pandora will play one song and just stop. So I use Nokia Music and it will maybe play a song or say it can't connect at the moment.

*Sigh* after seeing all the talk of connectivity issues I think I'm going to wait this out so I don't end up wasting hours of my time. However this does peeve me off at Nokia and/or Windows depending on who's really at fault if/when they find the problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
trucho

[ Edited ]

Thsi firmware update cost me a potential relationship.

Messages were being sent and suddenly either not sending or sending much later in random order ... at one point my reply to some sad news was "sounds great!" and even though I corrected it once, it happened again where she asks me what I'm doing over the weekend and my reply on her phone was "definitely not you" when that was meant to be about my text problem!! she sent me screenshots that made me look like an **bleep**. thanks nokia. way to have one make good lasting impressions through buggy firmware.

If my text conversation with someone new was so sporadic, delayed, offensive, among other things - I'd give up too. the battery life on this beast does NOT help my case either - I go MIA around 3pm if I use the phone regularly through the day. have to constantly charge it - what did I sign up for with this phone!?

-Alex
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mxyztplk

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I posted the results of a wpcentral.com article on connectivity problems apparently caused by the 1308 update.

That article included an (unscientific) ongoing poll that showed that respondents were having connectivity problems with the Lumia 920 on AT&T by over a two-to-one majority.  Over 817 respondents and counting have so far reported Lumia 920 AT&T connectivity problems in this poll. 

I included a link to the article.

Oddly, my post apparently disappeared overnight.  Perhaps this board later deletes your post if it contains links to outside sites (although it did not delete my earlier post in this thread that contained such a link).

In any event, anyone interested may find the article at wpcentral.com, under the title "Report: Nokia Lumia 920, the 1308 firmware and connectivity issues", by Daniel Rubino. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mxyztplk

Here is the link to the wpcentral.com article that I referenced in my prior post:

http://www.wpcentral.com/report-nokia-lumia-920-firmware-connectivity-issue

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mxyztplk

[ Edited ]

The following is an interesting post from gmathios on the att.com forum:

"update: just got a call from ATT...seems they are now aware of the issue (and that it is affecting thousands) and are working with Nokia...this is much better news than what I heard from them an hour ago, that they had not yet had 5 individual complaints so it was not yet a "known issue"...lets hope the later info is the correct info.."

http://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Discussion-and-Support/Nokia-Lumia-920-1308-update-Issues/m-p/34647...

Nokia, is it indeed affecting "thousands"?  That would certainly be in accord with the results of the ongoing wpcentral.com poll (see link in my prior post), which by its very nature would only gain responses from a small fraction of customers.  If so, Nokia, when will you provide an official acknowledgment and a target date for a fix?  Moreover, when will you at least temporarily delay offering this update OTA to those who are unaware of the problem?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
andyshine77

Video says it all.

http://youtu.be/F9U2CMmjwcg

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mxyztplk

According to a report at windowsphonefanatics.com, in a report from Mike Macias:

"Today I was informed by Nokia Care via email and on Twitter that they are aware of the connectivity problems with the latest Nokia Lumia 920 firmware update and a fix is on the way.

Quote:

“We have received some consumer feedback related to the Nokia Lumia 920 firmware update and have temporarily paused delivery of the update to investigate. We’ll have more information as it becomes available. For those who have already updated their software, a new update will be available in the near future. ”

..."

http://www.windowsphonefanatics.com/2013/04/nokia-acknowledges-lumia-920-connectivity-problems-and-h...

Note that I have not as yet seen a direct confirmation of this from Nokia on this forum.  Nokia, if this is true, please so confirm.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
huristm

Since receiving the update I was fairly sure my browser speed had decreased particularly when it comes to signal strength.

Something I was not very sure of was my batter.  Initially, my battery seemed to be draining faster but I couldn't be certain until late last week.  Seems that every day for the last four days, I have had to charge my phone before bed at 10pm to avoid my battery being completely drained by 530am when I wake.  Unfortunately, charging to completion before bed does not resolve the problem.  By the time I wake up my battery is completely dead.  

Something I also noticed is that a few times when I picked up my phone after it was not in used, the phone was warm to the touch as if i had been browsing the internet or making a call.  I only allow two apps to run in the background and have since turned off all background tasks to see if the problem persists.  

Hopefully Nokia is working on a solution.  Regardless, I still LOVE my 920 so this little hiccup won't change how I feel about this phone.

Please use plain text.