Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What is "Other" under Storage?

Contributor
Capozz
Accepted Solution

What is "Other" under Storage?

Got my Lumia 820 four days ago. I checked the storage and found that next to Pictures, Video, Music, Apps and System there is a category called "Other" which already blocked 1.23GB of storage. The problem is "Other" is growing day by day and soon i will not have free space anymore.

Any suggestions ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I can confirm browser cache is stored here. Other possibilities are emails and messages. Delete a few and see if it drops.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Capozz

I tried, but it doesn't fix the problem :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Well mine is at 900mb but it is not an issue because i also have a 16gb memory card for photos videos and music. Perhaps you should consider getting a memory card. What else have you copied or diwnloaded to your phone recently? Whatever it is is worth about 400mb

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Capozz

This is a screenshot of my memory usage.

As you can see there are no photos or videos (got a 8gb class 6 microsd) and i have installed only a few apps the first day (Wikipedia, Shazam, Fantasia Painter Free, Contre Jour, geoDefense, Amazon mobile, gMaps), but the voice "Altro" (other) has grown the same... in two hours has increased from 1.23 to 1.24 GB.
I'll check the situation in the next days, so I will be more precise.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad English :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Airbus

Yep, I have a Lumia 920 and I noticed that there was a massive use of "other" in the memory storage.

The 920 doesn't have a memory card slot and the phone memory is only 32GB (half of my N9 storage) so I have already had to leave half of  my music and a few thousand photos off my phone.

The "other" on my phone is nearly 3.0GB which is 10% of the available storage (given the OS comes out of the 32GB) so it's pretty important that we are able to 'manage' this storage.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
P3cMkr

I have the same problem with my 820 as you can see on the screenshot, I've been using my 820 for 3 weeks and the "other" folder has already grown to 2.3GB. All wp8 devices have this problem and I feel that this problem isn't getting enough attention than it should. This will eventually affect all wp8 sales especially those phones with very limited storage if this isn't sorted asap.

Folks over the MS camp are asking the same question, thought you guys might wanna take a look.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpstart/what-is-other-under-storage/979d2948-2...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

[ Edited ]

Oh, I think I know why the "Other" storage in Windows Phone 8 is handled differently than in WP7 is because of the changes of kernel usage. As a novice techie, I can conjuecture since Windows Phone 8 uses the Windows NT kernel and NTFS file system, which means a WP8 phone handles internal storage the same way that a Windows PC handles hard disk storage. 

While most WP7 phones had no problem of the "Other" storage of growing in size because Windows CE is NOT even meant to install programs that use HDD space such as games and utilities that have big file sizes.

So if you WP8 phone users are waiting for a fix while I'll be waiting to get my first Nokia Windows Phone (Lumia 920), we better hope that Microsoft realize that a Windows mobile phone is totally different than a Windows PC and make a better fix for the "Other" storage to stop acting like the "Temp" folder in our Windows PCs.

Please use plain text.
TruthSeekr

I have the same problem as well:

After about a month of usage, my lumia 820 shows "Others" now at 2.3GB and growing by the day!

Does anyone know if its possible to delete this by at least connecting to PC? Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

[ Edited ]

Sorry TruthSeekr, even if you use Nokia Suite, you cannot clean up the "Other" storage other than hard reset your phone becuase Microsoft restricts us normal access to it.

Best way is to let Microsoft and the Windows Phone team to realise that a Windows mobile phone is different than a Windows PC and we can hope for a update by Microsoft to fix this now major problem:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

From googling around a bit it looks like Maps are part of this "Other" storage. I just deleted 2 countries' worth of maps and the amount of memory used did diminish, albeit not by as much as the "size" of the maps as reported by Nokia Maps.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

[ Edited ]

Did a reset on my phone to check what all being taken up .After the reset the others folder size was 373 MB. After setting up MS account which included contacts & Gmail account which included calender it went up to 439 MB. Setting up another Gmail account, Twitter, LinkedIn, Nokia Account took it up to 459 MB. After installing & updating the basic Nokia apps like lenses & Maps without data it went up to 602 MB. But after downloading Maps data for India about 550 MB, the size increased to 1.2 GB. Until this time the memory used by applications is 172 MB. After downloading few more applications the size & adding music, photos & videos to it, now the size is 1.79 GB.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jbpianist21

yes  you are probably right there, people dont think about the cache, text messages emails....

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Mines up to 3.3gb for 3 weeks use. So at this rate, it'll be full by April.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Thats because you've probably been downloading and installing loads in the first 3 weeks. You will find stabilising when you stop downloading. Mine went to about 3gbs in the first 2 weeks but has stabilised since at just below 4. I seem to be able to maintain an even keel by regular housekeeping, deleting old messages, uninstalling unused apps etc. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I must be lucky - mine is "only" 2.2GB!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

The Other category consists mostly of various operating system caches (temporary files), Maps and 3rd party application data. Also email, calendar, contacts and Office application data counts towards this figure, but are typically smaller contributors.

The figure shows how much content, downloaded through normal use of the phone, remains available for re-use. For example, when the phone is used to browse the Internet,  or install applications and application updates, the caches related to these functions grow in size correspondingly. Another contributor to growth of this category is Maps data, whether it is downloaded on-demand when browsing around in Nokia Maps or when you download the maps of entire countries or other regions for off-line use. Furthermore, Photos, Music and Video create an index that grows with number the files located in Phone memory and in any inserted micro-SD card.

:smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

It is mildly irritating that people try to explain the 'other' folder in terms of maps, texts, emails, app data etc, when it is clearly a fault in the OS.  An example is if one uploads photos or videos to the Sky Drive, 'Other' will grow until all memory is used and the phone will become unuseable.  It will not even be able to make calls.  Several people have reported this, in other forums.

So, anyone claiming that this memory will be "restored", "recycled", or the phone will somehow manage to re-allocate the memory elsewhere, may be describing what was intended (I don't know), but it does not work. 'Other' will grow over time until the phone needs a factory reset; or an OS update is installed, which also resets 'other' to something like a normal level.

In anticipation of people suggesting we delete all emails, some maps, texts, don't upload to SkyDrive, reduce calendar entries, maybe get rid of contacts we don't phone often, don't browse (or at least clear caches and passwords etc), clear searches, clear pretty much everything else that makes life convenient, I would suggest that if that is what is required, to avoid a factory reset every few months, then the WP8 system is pretty much useless.  I have read some people with 920s are already seeing nearly 10GB in 'Other'; so there is little hope for 820 users trying to 'survive'; and those poor people with 4GB WP8 phones are in for a nasty shock.

When I got a Lumia 820, I had researched it thoroughly.  It suited me better than the 920; primarily because of the ability to install a 64GB card; as I carry videos and music of about 30GB, for when I'm away.  I have about 2GB of maps permanently; as I did with my old N95, which I need.  I guessed that would leave, with the apps I use, not much short of 3GB (allowing for the 1.9GB operating system); which I assumed would be a permanent 'safety net', for caches, emails, texts etc.  3GB is a hell of a lot of texts, emails, caches, calendar entries and the like.  I have over 10 years of emails, contacts, calendar entries and tasks in Outlook (and in archives), on my computers, and they total less than 3GB!  To be honest, I also held a secret hope (albeit remote) that there might come an option to install map data to the card, one day; but could still live without it, as I didn't need the phone's memory much, with about 30GB free on my card.

However, the reality is that I have had to limit my map data to 1.2GB, and cannot use autouploads to the SkyDrive (or even back up to the SkyDrive if I wish to clear the camera roll of stuff) or download Deezer albums, because all these bring me nearer to a factory reset.  Even then, and clearing caches almost daily, I still see 'Other' continue to grow; and it becomes an obsession I could do without.  Deleting caches also deletes various passwords; which I expect the phone to remember, for goodness sake!  Moreover, since the OS is relatively new, it is only now that some dedicated individuals are starting to experiment with various settings, trying to discover what has the most detrimental effect on the 'other' folder.  My thanks go to them for their efforts, and the 'Factory reset' trauma they have to endure; the main irritation being re-configuring the front screen, together with the time required.  That said it does beg the question, "how on earth did this problem not manifest itself to all those that must have been testing this system?".  Surely, in testing, one would be uploading vast amounts to SkyDrives and downloading from them?  If everyone reporting this issue is, presumably, only using the phones 'normally', and this has become an issue within weeks, the fact this was passed as 'fit for purpose' beggars belief, in my opinion.

So, advice on how someone should have researched better, or how they could conserve memory, is not really the point.  Whether they realise it or not, people have a sense of how much memory they require, vaguely; certainly if they are long time computer users.  It may be very rough, and not exactly accurate or scientific; but it should be close enough.

No; the truth is that there is something wrong with this operating system, and it needs correcting quickly.  In the meantime, and assuming this problem is not easily resolved, a "Clean 'Other'" button would be useful, in "Phone Storage".  If new OS updates refresh and reset the 'other' count, then it seems to me that one could arrange that fuction without an actual 'new' update.  A "reinstall last update" would even suffice, for now, to achieve the same thing, without the need for a full factory reset.

As a final thought, can anyone here, who is advising on preserving memory as if it is a user problem, please put around 1GB of photos on your phone and upload them all to the SkyDrive, please?  Ideally, repeat that until the phone runs out of memory; then get back to me.  I would be interested to read the results you experienced; with stats for how your 'other' responded.  Does it recover that memory and reallocate it?  I would be fascinated to know; because my Lumia 820 doesn't.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

It's a nice letter, but posted to he wrong address. In case you missed it it should be addressed and send to Microsoft.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

It has been, but I think it is also relevent for Nokia users to read; and for Nokia, too. Nokia cannot divest themselves of any responsibility just because it is a Microsoft OS; no more than Boeing can continue to supply planes with (allegedly) exploding batteries, just because they bought them from someone else.

Please use plain text.