Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What little tricks have you found with the Lum...

Counsellor

What little tricks have you found with the Lumia 800?

[ Edited ]

I know there must be dozens, maybe even 100's off little tricks this phone can do, but what are the ones that have surprised you, and you thought the phone couldn't do?

Me? I've just found that you can use the phones internal speaker on the FM radio by holdng your finger on the screen when the radio is on. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Re: What little tricks have you found with the Lumia 800?

Not really a trick as succh and doesn't serve any useful purpose but i found if you go into the Xbox live app when you have Music playing, your Avatar dances to the Music.

Also If you go into your Xbox live app normally and shake your phone when your avatar is on the screen you can annoy them (they dance and jump around, shake the phone enough and they fall over. keep doing this and eventually they will either drag the screen back over or kick the screen and crack it)

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

Must try the above^

Maybe it is obvious but when typing an email if you hold the screen a drop down cursor appears which enable you to accurately edit words ie move the cursor to a specific letter.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Some of these are probably in the user guide (not read it) but will post anyway:

Pressing the volume key when the phone is ringing silences the ringer without rejecting a the call.

Dialling ##634# installs Nokia's diagnostics app for testing various phone features.

Holding the camera key will open the camera, even if the screen is locked.

If the phone freezes holding the power/lock button for around 10 seconds (until it strongly vibrates) will cause it to reboot.

When using the calculator app turn the phone in landscape orientation and you'll get a scientific calculator.

If you know a newer version of an app is available but it isn't showing as an update yet you can force the update (if it is available in your country). Find the app in the market, press the share button then press the back key and the update button will appear.

If you are having issues connecting to the internet using mobile data or problems with MMS installing (and running) Nokia's network setup app from the marketplace may help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
stueyboy

A couple I think are good.

First one related to the above. If you want to add a word to your personal dictionary (usually a swear word for me) touch it in the input box and it will appear in the suggestion line below with a '+' next to it. touch it and it will be added to the dictionary.

With the Nokia drive app. If you can search for your destination before you set off (connected to wifi for instance) the app will remember it and you will have a list of what you've searched for right there for use and it won't use the data connection.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rleija79

That's a good one, I really need that one bad.
Please use plain text.
Sage
anseio

I just found that you can view your photos like a film strip. Open the folder and select a photo. Normally, swipe left/right to move to other images. Instead, pinch to zoom out and you get a film strip and can glide through the images.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Camera viewfinder also swipes along as if it were an image, that's cool
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Within the camera app itself, you can move the focal point arround the screen and focus on a particular area ie the corner of the scene instead of the centre !!

Focus bottom left

Focus bottom right 

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

@carman58

How?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Just tap screen with finger ! ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

or if you're referring to screen shots, you need to unlock the phone and install a screen shot app, check Chevron7 for when they get some more licences, which hopefully they will, unless a future update allows screenshots natively ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Just tap screen with finger

lol!

Is this an April Fool joke?

• frame photo, tap screen, nothing happens

• frame photo, get focus, tap screen, nothing happens

c'mon, you're pullin' my leg!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Works for me!

Hold your finger on the screen and it will focus on that area and take the picture.

Depending on your camera settings (settings > applications > Pictures+camera) it may or may not work for you. Change the settings and the feature will work.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

He wasn't pulling your leg. However, I would describe the procedure more as tap and hold screen rather than just tap screen.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

I wouldn't, a quick tap will focus the area and take the photo.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

cjlim wrote:

He wasn't pulling your leg. However, I would describe the procedure more as tap and hold screen rather than just tap screen.

Tried on mine and it didn't work at first, then followed Psychomanias instructions ans turned on the "touch screen to take photo" and it works.

On a side note, does anyone know if  when you enable automatic upload to skydrive, the pictures are uploaded at full Resolution or are they shrunk down?

Enabled this as I lost all of my photos when I reset my phone yesterday

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Pictures automatically uploaded to skydrive are at a smaller size unfortunately. Makes that feature a bit useless for me.

If you manually upload pictures using the skydrive app they are at full size.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

They're shrunk.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

psychomania wrote:
Pictures automatically uploaded to skydrive are at a smaller size unfortunately. Makes that feature a bit useless for me.

If you manually upload pictures using the skydrive app they are at full size.

Cheers. It's a bit of a shame

I haven't had much luck with the skydrive app, I can't seem to find any way of  moving files into different folders on there from either root or any other folders.

But that 's the subject for a more appropriate thread

Please use plain text.