Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: When is tethering being added to Lumia 800

Counsellor
oneFinn

January is soon to end. No news from Nokia concerning tethering with Lumia 800. Lumia 900 is said to have it.

Dear Nokia, are we getting it or not?

Please use plain text.
nerradc

Yep. Januarys update has arrived. But no tethering. Seriously Nokia there is a demand for this! Sort it out before you get left behind by the competition!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
manju6424

Nokia we really need Tethering, its an add on advantage where there's no wired internet .

i really appreciate if it is included in next update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stivoberlin

Nokia we really need Tethering !!!

otherwise i get back to my 6 months old HTC !

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stivoberlin

[ Edited ]

Nokia Switzerland confirmed me today that we will be able to do wifi teethering with the Lumia 800 but it will be by adding an application available from the marketplace, but they were not able to tell me a date...

MODERATOR'S NOTE:Non-English part removed from post.

Please use plain text.
rajkumarxxx

Through an application? I bet this means that is will either be a chargable app (not a problem), or, worse than that, a charge for the data being transferred.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
damedealta

Please, just look at this

Tethering Lumia800 --> @NokiaHelps: There is no official announcement over whether there will or will not be tethering on the device. ^WLT

Please use plain text.
centurion20100

The absence of this feature is single handedly holding me back from buying this phone. My current handset is a Nokia E52 which I have now owned for almost 3.5 years. It's been brilliant, partly because of the ability to use it as a WiFi hotspot. It is a life saving feature when internet at my house has had problems or when I have been at airports and needed a way to entertain myself.

More importantly i own an iPad 2 and thanks to the tethering feature on my Nokia I did not need to waste money on buying the 3G version of the iPad or on an additional overpriced monthly plan. 

Far too many times phone manufacturer have promised to add features down the line but have then done so half arsed, and thus I cannot buy the Lumia 800 until it has tethering working as advertised. I give Nokia until the end of March, after that the phone will be a bit old compared to other phone debuting this spring.

Come on Nokia, release the feature or give us a date. I am literarily throwing money at my computer screen.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Yep tethering is available in Mango, it just needs to be enabled. Samsung have on their latest handsets out of the box.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulahoops

Would love an official response from Nokia about this. Tethering is quite a basic function these days and it's built in to almost all Android handsets and iPhones - your MAIN COMPETITORS - who will most likely get my money next time I purchase a handset if this doesn't happen.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
e52communicator

:squint:

I am not an Android fan. My faith is in the white 800 Lumia pinned for UK release at the beginning of next month. Slated for release the same week is the white Sony Ericsson Xperia S running Android, looks great and has tethering as a feature from the get go.

I give Nokia until the second week of March to either enable the feature or make an official statement.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

hulahoops wrote:

Would love an official response from Nokia about this. Tethering is quite a basic function these days and it's built in to almost all Android handsets and iPhones - your MAIN COMPETITORS - who will most likely get my money next time I purchase a handset if this doesn't happen.

Here's a clue.... Tethering is available in Mango, it is up to Nokia to enable it.

Android and IOS have no place here.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulahoops

newneotoo wrote:

hulahoops wrote:

Here's a clue.... Tethering is available in Mango, it is up to Nokia to enable it.

Android and IOS have no place here.

Ok, Mr Pedantic. I will buy one of Nokia's competitors in the Windows Phone market. Thank you for the clue, I know you didn't intend it to be really condescending or anything, so Il'l give you the benefit of the doubt where you assumed I had no idea what I was talking about.

So to recap: If Nokia don't enable Tethering on their Windows Phone handset, I will buy a phone from one of the competitor manufacturers, regardless of the OS it is running.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Hi Hula,

I wasn't trying to be pedantic but I can see how that would come across like that, my apologies.

I think what irks is it's all over these forums the same question over and over again. I was responding more to that than you.

I agree it's fairly basic functionality but it isn't always as simple as just allowing tehering, we also have to get past the oprerators although my other halfs Xperia Ray tethers just fine.

O2 were making you pay extra for it on the iPhone could this sort of thing be holding up activation on tethering on this phone?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulahoops

No worries newnotoo :smileyhappy:

I actually signed up to the forums to enquire about Tethering, then saw the existing thread. Perhaps it's clear, from your response, that since a lot of people are asking for it, may be it should be moved higher up Nokia's priority list? But I can see why carriers might block it unfortunately and be presenting some red tape!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gwydion

it isn't always as simple as just allowing tehering, we also have to get past the oprerators

That's a Red Herring.  There are lots of operators that carry more than one WP, and tethering/internet sharing is available on the other device(s) but not the Lumias.

I've been checking into this forum fairly regularly solely to see if Nokia will come out with a time frame on this basic feature of WP being enabled on their devices.

I decided to add to this thread in the hopes that it will make the "cry from the masses" just a little bit louder and help it reach the ears of someone at Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Hi Hula

Yeah I signed up to check out the issues with battery..

These forums can turn into a bit of a scrap and it's so easy to get caught up in it.. Anyway nice to meet you mate.!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
olsamd

Dear Nokia, when is tethering finally coming to the lumia 800??? Please!!!! It's really a great phone, but we're all missing the tethering functionality!

Please use plain text.
rajkumarxxx

[ Edited ]

Just popped into PC world and saw tethering in action on the guys 18 month old HTC HD7 which uses Mango. 

Come on Nokia/Microsoft! Others manufacturers have sorted out this problem, why the hell cant you? 

End of March and this phone will be sold and I will never buy another pile of **bleep** again. My fault entirely though, as I did not do my homework, I relied on two massive companies to deliver what they promised.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GeoWatt

I will sell my Lumia 800 without tethering and buy Galaxy Note with 8 PCs tethering support via WiFi if Nokia doesn't provide us with one. 

Please use plain text.