Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: When is tethering being added to Lumia 800

Registered Member
sja0001

HI all, my first post having only just purchased my phone and love it.

That said I have to disagree with the earlier comments - wifi hotspot capability seems to be a standard (and therefore basic) function that just about all other smartphones have, except some early and old android smartphones.

Also as I was sold my Lumia 800 with the promise that tethering was only a few weeks away and I'd be disspointed if this wasn't the case.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Yury_A

[ Edited ]

Tethering was here almost 10 years ago and people take it for granted. At least outside of the US.

kevgallacher wrote:
Tethering is not a basic feature, it is an advanced feature which not all phones and carriers support. It is not even all that an important feature to be honest. Not everyone uses it. It is becoming more and more requested with faster speeds and larger data limits. But you will find that most carriers don't allow it or charge extra for it. Nokia have stated it is coming and that it is up to Microsoft to release it with the next OS update, it will not come earlier than that. It will be included with the Tango update which is due very soon.
To all those that say they need it, then this should have been something you considered when buying the phone in the first place.

Moderator's note: Off topic comment removed. Please keep the respect towards other users.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
met_turner

For me, using a mobile phone to connect my laptop to the internet is a basic feature that I have been using for many years.

I bought my Lumia 800 partly based on Nokia's claim that tethering would come "soon". 3 months have passed and tethering is still coming "soon".

I am disappointed.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

No I do not work for Nokia.
And my post answers questions asked, is this considered useless?
The tile of this thread is "When is tethering being added to Lumia 800?"

My post states "Nokia have stated it is coming and that it is up to Microsoft to release it with the next OS update, it will not come earlier than that. It will be included with the Tango update which is due very soon."

What is wrong with that?If people keep asking the same question I will give the same answer.
The fact of the matter is 710 and 800 don't have this advanced feature, and is due soon there is not much more information available.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulahoops

Kev, I respect your answer, but if this is such an advanced feature, how is it that it's being added out of the box to the budget Lumia handsets?! Ironic, don't you think.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

Many advanced features are coming on the budget phone, such as gps, voice control and hd video camera.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bbuckle

If tethering is, supposedly, already available for WP7.5, is the fact it has not been released for the Lumia 800 (yet) really a Microsoft thing? It sounds to me that its more like a Nokia thing.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

It's sort of both. The Lumia phones did not comply with FCC regulations and so Microsoft got Nokia to remove it for the time being until it got sorted to avoid legal ramifications. It sounds like it has since been corrected by Nokia and the is ready to go but as it is part of the OS, Microsoft are the ones to control when the patch is released. This is suppsoed to be with the next OS update - Tango but it is upto Microsoft to announce a date.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shay1

Still no tethering or tango, come on, they are playing us for fools
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
harmanni

[ Edited ]

Hi all!

Thanks for all your comments. WiFi tethering will be available in our range of in-market Lumia devices with a future software update. At the moment we don’t have any further information about dates, as soon as we get any confirmation we will share this information here. Please be patient with this, we’ll keep you updated!

Regards,

harmanni 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SeppS1945

I spent today 58 minutes on the phone talking to the Nokia service centre in the philipines

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 in a business situation all my co-workers have Samsung Omnia 7 and the tethering is working perfectly ... so why not Lumias's?

I spoke to three different people, all trying to to get me to go away .. can't give an indication how much longer I have to wait for an update... as said before it took me 58 minutes to finally get on fellow to agree that he will get a technical support supervisor to ring me back by 11am (lima) tomorrow ... and I am not hopeful that I will get a straight answer ..

For my life a can't understand a large company like Nokia not being able to work to a timeline and communicate this to a customer ... I would have also got a Samsung I would have anticipated this.

One would asume that if Nokia can implement this on their other phones it should not require a miracle to do it on the Lumia 800

My call reference number Is : 1-12298856730 and the persons spoken to are Laiza, Lucy & Patrick

I hope somebody in the correct department in Nokia will read this

Thanks

Sepp

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

Can someone clarify a point? On E72 you needed a 3rd party app like Joiku hotspot to use it as a wi-fi hotspot to tether but even without it you could use the phone as a modem to connect  a laptop either using a usb cable or Bluetooth connection. In fact I even used ancient Nokia 6500 to do that using Nokia connection software and both were very useful when my landline connection was down. I take it that this can't be done either with Lumia.

Please use plain text.
handmadeby

well, it's an official answer. Not the answer any of us want to hear, but at least it's an official answer.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shay1

thanks for the answer, at least someone is listening to us.
Please use plain text.
hopefulagnostic

Hi all,

I had a Lumia 800 from Vodafone last November on a 7 day trial and it is a great phone . However I found out in time it did not have a tethering facility and decided to send it back. Good thing I did. I had been informed the tethering update would be out in January by a nokia call centre assistant and still we wait.

Fortunately, my two year old HD2 running venerable old Windows mobile continues to provide the tethering I need. Just to show how little service provider staff know, a Vodafone assistant I spoke to last week was very insistent that the 800 could tether.

Come on Nokia, Microsoft and service providers, time to nail this one. Nokia you are losing sales for what is for me the best phone on the market. Announce a date and my order is straight in.

Please use plain text.
Sepp1945

Further to my post above (SeppS1945 that’s me .. just can't log in as that currently, don't know why)

I spoke today again (he rang me .... surprise :smileywink: ) with a supposedly a superior customer service agent (in South East Asia) .. and for about 60 minutes he insisted that nobody in Nokia knows when the next software update will be  … nobody .. I told him I believe that he doesn’t , very likely since he is in a call centre and not in the department working  (or NOT) on this update.

So I insisted that he should escalate this complaint to the next level …  he said this would not help me , so I asked if he is refusing to escalate me, he did not have the guts to say so, he kept repeating that it would not help me as nobody would know.

This let me to believe that NOKIA is under the impression we are all mushrooms eg kept in the dark and being fed horse manure …

NOKIA, forgive me, but I can’t and won’t believe that your design people don’t know …. You could not run a company of this size  in this way.

So, again, I challenge NOKIA to back up the claim by call centre person that NOBODY in NOKIA knows when the next software update will be released … to bring LUMIA 800 into line with all other Windows phones, especially with tethering..

I am waiting with baited breath ….

Your

Sepp

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

When Samsung Omnia W can have it without waiting for the Windows OS to make it, then Lumia 800 can too, since it costs 2x the price? Don't be lazy.

At least through the USB port. I actually prefer it through the USB port, like I did with EasyTether on android.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia800userFIN

Lumia 710 ja 800c are getting an update at the moment in some countries. This update is said to include tethering. So coming soon to every lumia I assume :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Please use plain text.
davidlu

Read the small print regarding tethering in your contract.
Please use plain text.