Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Where is WP7.8 for the Lumia 800?

Contributor
ZuneTracks

Where is WP7.8 for the Lumia 800?

[ Edited ]

I have a US Lumia 800 (RM-819) but I can't find the WP7.8 update anywhere.

Can someone please help me understand where these updates have gone, and when they will be back?

Moderator's note: We have edited your post as it contains unauthorized tools to update your phone software.

2013 Nokia Developer Champion
2008-2009 Zune MVP
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Presuambly waiting for network/operator approval. These are MS updates, distributed by MS, so you are better off asking them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ZuneTracks

I appreciate the reply, but that is incorrect. Nokia is the only other entity, besides MS, to have their hands in this update. The Lumia 800 is completely unlocked, with no carrier branding or approvals needed.

I have two of these, one is Magenta (which I updated to 7.8 about 2 weeks ago) and a Black one. Sometime within the last two weeks, Nokia has pulled, not only the 7.8 update, but the Tango update as well, for the US Lumia 800 variants.

Was hoping that someone from Nokia would see this and might be able to respond.

2008-2009 Zune MVP
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

ZuneTracks wrote:

I appreciate the reply, but that is incorrect. Nokia is the only other entity, besides MS, to have their hands in this update. The Lumia 800 is completely unlocked, with no carrier branding or approvals needed.

Nokia has pulled, not only the 7.8 update, but the Tango update as well, for the US Lumia 800 variants.

This is where you are wrong in both your statements. SIm-free and no branding does not mean that network approval is not required. Such approval is still required by the networks operating in the market where the handset is intended to be sold. In fact, as we have seen with the WP8 updates, such handsets were amongst the last in the world to receive the latest update.

The Tango and 7.8 updates both are not Nokia updates, they are MS updates and Nokia have no involvement whatsoever in creating, distributing, releasing or pulling them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ZuneTracks

[ Edited ]

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nokia doesn't even sell the Lumia 800 via any US cell carriers. The only way to get it is from Nokia, directly. Now, can we please move on?

Also, just to settle this discussion: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia800/

Direct from Nokia's support site saying that 7.8 is available for all US Lumia 800 devices, yet mine is stuck on Mango (7.5) and none of the files are even listed on Nokia's servers any longer, at least not for the US variants. Also, let's not forget that I have two Lumia 800's. One of which I updated to 7.8 just 2 weeks ago, and now I have another one which can't pull the updates via Zune or any other utility.

2008-2009 Zune MVP
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I would agree with your comment, except you have not put forward any argument to support it. Personal insults regretfully do not really count outside of the schoolyard.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ZuneTracks

[ Edited ]

Look, if you aren't going to try and help, please just troll somewhere else, ok?

2008-2009 Zune MVP
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I already said that these updates are handled completely by Microsoft and HERE is some proof. I suggested that you direct your query to Microsoft for further information. You choose to ignore that suggestion and lapse into a childish rant instead.

My new suggestion would be to ask a Nokia Care Point to do the update for you. I somehow suspect you will treat this suggestion in the same way.

I don't think anyone can help you any further here.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ZuneTracks

[ Edited ]

Ok, man, seriously I've asked you to leave my thread because you aren't helping. You're just stroking your ego at this point.

Also, if you knew as much as you proclaim, then you would know that Nokia has no Care Centers here in the United States. You would also know, that the thread you linked to is from March 6th. Nokia/MS resumed the update around 3/15 (which is when my Magneta Lumia 800 was updated), and sometime between then and now the update has disappeared, again, with no word from MS or Nokia about it.

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-8-update-resumes-rolling-out-to-fix-bugs/

For what it's worth, I do apologize.

2008-2009 Zune MVP
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Nokia Repair Facility in US

Alternatively you can send your phone to be checked/updated for free using THIS link.

I am fully aware that the 7.8 update was restarted at 20:00CET on 14.03.2013, to be correct. I only posted that link to prove that Microsoft stopped it. Your link also confirms  that Microsoft, and not Nokia/Microsoft  resumed it:

"It appears Microsoft has resumed its roll-out of Windows Phone 7.8, this time with a slightly updated version of the software."

I have no information about the update disappearing again, so cannot comment on that.

Apology accepted, no worries.

Please use plain text.