Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Why does my Lumia phone replace my contacts an...

Technical Expert
michaels

Why does my Lumia phone replace my contacts and content with demo data?

We are seeing a few cases around the world where customers have bought a second-hand Nokia Lumia phone which has been used as a demonstrator in a retail outlet.

Phones running on Windows Phone that are used for these purposes are often locked into a demo mode and should not be resold to the public unless that have been properly reflashed with the correct commercial device software. This is resulting in disappointed customers who cannot set up the phone with their own personal data because it gets overwritten all of the time by the demo data.

If you are buying a used Nokia Lumia, especially if you are buying from online sources such as eBay, always check before paying if the phone is an ex-demo, because if a demo phone has not been properly treated before being resold it will not work properly.

It is highly irresponsible for any individual or company to sell demo phones in this condition, and if you have been a victim of this unfortunate situation, you may have good cause to make a demand under your country's consumer protection legislation or under web site terms such as the eBay protection policy that the seller either put the situation right or take back the product and refund your payment. Please check your local legislation or the terms and conditions of your online store for more details.

As always, the safest way to purchase a Nokia phone is from an authorised Nokia retailer.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sajjz

Re: Why does my Lumia phone replace my contacts and content with demo data?

Is there someway we can flash the firmware to stock ourselves? Don't see why that would be a problem for a phone that can use my sim cars functionality to the fullest.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sajjz

Found the solution! and of all places it was after talking to a t-mobile rep lol

To master reset the Nokia Lumia 810 (at-least t-mobile branded)

1. Power off your phone.

2. Push these buttons in order (a, then b, then c, then d)

a. Up Volume rocker

b. Down Volume rocker

c. Power

d. Down Volume rocker

You will get an exclamation mark...restart the phone. It'll show the cogs working..then you're restored to factory firmware and you can set up your accounts now! no more demo phone!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Nope, this would only had reset the phone anu not replace the demo firmware. The phone will appear to be fine untill you reboot. When restarted all your personal data wil be gone again

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kenny79

[ Edited ]

I have just won a Lumia 610 from Microsoft Techday recently in Malaysia. The phone given was a demo unit. Is there no way that Nokia would release a firmware to address such problems??

And unlike other phone OSes like iOS and Android, there is NO OS restore function from the PC. Very dissappointing indeed. Even the local support care center tells me "too bad"

I would say all the best to Nokia if they do not resolve such problems. It's the fastest way to try to shut themselves up :-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

So let's see, after all posts made in this thread you post this;

I was given a phone which is a demo unit, what can Nokia do for me

Talk to the organisation who gave you a non functional phone, read the thread you are posting in before posting.

There is no OS restore from PC

Not sure what you refer to. A Windows Phone will restore contacts and calendar entries without additional help of or need for a PC as soon as your re-enter your Microsoft account after a reset (which in itself restores the OS and again without the help of a PC).

I would say, inform your self, use the forum search function, read a thread before you post in it and in general, ask questions if you need, like or would appreciate help. Trolling around is not very productive.

Finally as the Nokia Support Discussions guidelines (which you should have read when you joined as advised at the time) clearly state;

This is mainly a peer-to-peer support forum, and Nokia does not provide direct customer support to all questions via these boards. If you wish to get personal assistance from Nokia customer support by phone or email, please visit the "Contact Us" section of your local Nokia website.

If you want to talk to Nokia try calling, mailing or a chat session. More information in the 'Contact us' section on this page

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

Kenny79, I think you have been given a demo Lumia 610 as a prize by mistake. You should have contacted Microsoft Malaysia instead of going to any Nokia Care centre in there.

Of course the Nokia Care staff can say "too bad" because they don't deal with demo Nokia phones and demo Windows Phones are under Microsoft's support and judistriction not the manufacturer's.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zeeshanaayan07

Brilliant information about Nokia Lumia

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RAS47

Why would Microsoft release new firmware for a device that was never supposed to be sold?? You're not supposed to have that demo unit. If you bought it, or were given it, the person that provided it broke the rules. And so did you, knowingly or unknowingly, by accepting it. You're SUPPOSED to be out of luck.
Lumia Icon on Verizon
Please use plain text.