Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Why i may switch to Android now...

Galactosidase

Why i may switch to Android now...

Im a former apple fan guy, that was in search of an alternative that was not just some sly copy cat (Android). I purchased my Nokia 900 today and dispite having heard the negative critisicms : lack of apps, painful ecosystem migration , skype funcitionality some multi-tasking problems; i was still pretty enthralled at the sleek design and crisp performance. 

To begin with the Nokia 900 is an awesome device. It is manifold faster than my iphone 4s , its colors are vibrant, the intergration with cloud services is unmatched , and it is backed by Microsoft ( providing the mental cushion that any and all bugs would be expunged). 

However I've been noticing some very irksome problems with the Windows 7 operating system that is on the Nokia 900. First, once an app is relegated to the background of the phone , whatever information that may have been typed in , will vanish. Many times it just restarts--which is particulary annoying for youtube since it causes the video to just restart from the beginning. I suppose thats okay since i hope in the future those problems can be remedied.

Second, and most troublesome is the fact that i initially thought that windows phones were more 'open' then an Iphone. As a former apple customer, one of the main issues that is particularly annoying is that everything is done through itunes: transfering pdf's, ebooks, word documents etc.. required special apps to interface with particular formats-- annoying as it was it is still possible. You CANNOT easily transfer pdf's, word documents, epub files, .. any file that is not a movie,photo, or music file. In fact the only way you can achieve this seemingly simple task is to email the files to yourself, or upload it to dropbox (Not skydrive, for some reason skydrive is riddled with errors and many times you cant even view the files you require , much less save them on the phone). This has caught me totally off guard , on an android phone it is painless.
Im a fan of zune, it is monumentally better software than itunes. I just can not comprehend how a company like microsoft that developed Word decided it would be best to have users email documents to themselves. Im a Biochemical Major at a major university and alot of times peers append photos or enhanced meta files that increase the size of word documents. It is not a convenient task to upload a 50 mg file and email it/ or upload it to skydrive or dropbox. 

I am torn between switching to an android phone at the moment. While i adore the sleek design and comfort of the Os. I am appalled by the extreme confinement , I as a user have when adding my own personal files ( even a damn 43 kb document.... Cant do it through zune...). If you are a fan of skype , as I am , you are in for a dissapointment.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ChRoM

Re: Why i may switch to Android now...

Galactosidase wrote:
I've been noticing some very irksome problems with the Windows 7 operating system that is on the Nokia 900. First, once an app is relegated to the background of the phone , whatever information that may have been typed in , will vanish. Many times it just restarts--which is particulary annoying for youtube since it causes the video to just restart from the beginning.

Could you specify what apps show this weird bevaviour? Because it's really not supposed to happen. If an app becomes inactive, it's current stated is saved and restored again, when you switch back to it. (This was even true before the Mango update.) Most of the time this restoring happens instantly because the app is still in memory, other times the app has to be relloaded into memory (honastly, this has not happened to me in ages and only happens if memory-hungry apps like games are involved) but still, the former state is always reconstructed, including all information that you typed in.

I don't want to offend you, but are you sure you are switching between apps by holding the backbutton pressed and than cycle between the last opened apps? Because if you restart an app from the home screen or the app list, that is literally_restarting_ the app and in this case, it's former state is indeed lost.

Please use plain text.
Sage
anseio

Some apps are optimized for Mango's fast switching. They perform well and restore well. They don't lose progress/data. Apps that are not optimized for fast switching have slower reload times and usually start you at some beginning point again.

Depends on what apps you're using. Care to share them with us?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Galactosidase, I've never used one of these phones, but can I ask what (if anything) you see in Windows Explorer on a PC when the phone is connected? Is there really no place to save or copy files?

If so, is this just something temporary, or is the phone going to always be like that? With Microsoft being involved, it just doesn't seem like something they would do?
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

When reading your thoughts Gala, I whisper to myself, this guy should go for Nokia 701 Belle PR1 instead.
Not kidding at all, I am dead serious. Bang for the buck.

Of course if size doesnt matter and universal great camera is important, check upcoming Nokia 808.

I know the Lumia 800 really well and do understand why people like 900 but but, it sounds like you should take a look on mention devices. Only thing you may be dissapointed about is video skype that for the moment isnt available..sorry but I am thrilled over the overall experience of 701 Belle after Microsoft apps 2.0 and Belle PR1 update.

Wont bother anymore in windows phone forum but android and google stalking you, nono ...no.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.