Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

buffalodan

Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

I am having a horrendous time getting my phone to log onto WiFI. It will sometimes connect to networks, but for the most part just tells me the connection was unsuccessful. I have tried 4 different routers with WPA2-Personal. I cannot access any of them, and my laptop, xbox, desktop, and android phone all connect without problems. So please don't suggest that I turn the router on and off. That isn't a solution for me at this time.

The Nokia 920 will see every wireless access point

The phone will attempt to connect, then tell me password is incorrect, then tell me it was unsuccessful.

The phone has connected after turning off wi-fi and rebooting the phone, but looses connectivity after a few minutes. This isn't really a viable option either.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Currently windows phone 8 os doesn't support continuous wifi connectivity that is if your phone is locked then wifi connection would automatically gets disconnected so after unlocking lumia 920, it would try to connect to wifi again.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

The Wi-Fi stays active if the phone is connected to a charger.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I have 7 routers at home and 4 in my office all set to WPA2-AES with psk. My 920 connected fine with most of them. Just the Netgear required a firmware update. I suggest checking routers for firmware updates and failing that, you could attempt to rsert your phone or get it checked out at yout local Nokia Care Point. 

BTW, Restarting the router does work for some router connection problms. 

Please use plain text.
buffalodan

I plan on going to an AT&T store tomorrow after work. And restarting the router does help my home, but I really don't like restarting the router every 30 minutes and that is pretty hard to do at work or at restaurants. And it isn't that the wi-fi won't stay connected, the real issue that it won't connect at all.
Please use plain text.
buffalodan

I went to the AT&T store, but they were not helpful, guess I went to thr wrong one. Anyway, I also found out that if I turn off wifi and restart my phone, when I turn on wifi it will connect 100% of the time to the first network. If I want to switch wifi networks, then I need to restart the phone again.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

There can be any number of issues causing this. The Routers may have limited access slots for wireless and as they are full will not connect. The phone stores your access points once setup and maybe the router provides a different setting which is not recognized by the stored accesspoint settings.

An access point may store any connections and release them after a set amount of time, you can log in to the router and clear this list which might allow you to connect. Also a reset of the router, then connect with the phone first followed by any other devices may help. Especially LinkSys routers are well known for this type of behaviour. Having multiple accesspoint using the same channels in house may cause these type of issues. It's just hard to get to a specific possible solution here.

I understand your frustration and reluctance to reset some or all the routers, but it might actually help.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

Not that this is much help to you but I have 4 WiFi networks that I connect to on a regular basis and have not experienced such issues.  

Please use plain text.
buffalodan

Well, I just don't see how ALL routers can be giving me this. My office, any restaurant, the AT&T store, my house, my friend's houses. The issue is always solved by turning off wi-fi, restarting the phone, then turning wi-fi on. That seems to suggest that the phone is having a glitch. I plan on calling Nokia during lunch today.
Please use plain text.
buffalodan

Nokia just told me to return it and get a new one. Never could figure out what was causing it. Lost my sweet red one for white however. That was all the store had in stock.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Did you not hear? White is the new red. :smileyhappy: Good luck with the replacement. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bottazzoli

Hi,
the problem exists since an update some 5 weeks ago (mid April 2014).
it happens any time the WiFi provider changes or if you go out of range.
nothing to do with the phone, nothing with the router settings.
it is time to get a solution.
regards JPB
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bottazzoli

More about, just turn off Bluetooth then WiFi connects immediately. After connected you may turn on Bluetooth again.
JPB
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bottazzoli

Solved:
deleted all Bluetooth connections and re-paired them.
Problem solved.
JPB
Please use plain text.