Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WiFi Password Problem

Registered Member
Brighton1503

My new Nokia 710 was not be able to have access to my WiFi at home

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Hi everyone,

If you face such issue, try the following:

1.  Move closer to a WLAN access point to get a better WLAN signal.

2.  If possible, try to create a connection with some other device that supports WLAN (to see that access point is really working).

3.  Restart/reset the WLAN access point, and try to create a connection again.

4.  If some manufacturer specific network mode (Turbo/Nitro/Super/Afterburner/108/SRX) is used, disable it and try the basic modes 802.11b/g/n.

5.  Check that DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) is activated in the WLAN access point.

6.  Set the WLAN access point to SSID visible mode (at least temporarily) to check that the Lumia phone finds your WLAN access point properly, and to prevent SSID typing mistakes.

7.  On the router, remove the WLAN security settings temporarily, and try to create a WLAN connection from the phone without any security settings first. WPA2 (AES) is currently the strongest form of security offered by WiFi products, and is recommended for all uses, choose WPA2 with AES (do not use TKIP).

• If you have older WiFi devices on your network that do not support WPA2 Personal (AES), select WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. This mode will allow newer devices to use the stronger WPA2 AES encryption, while still allowing older devices to connect with older WPA TKIP encryption.
  • If your WiFi router doesn't support WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode, then WEP128 with Shared Authentication should be used (with a single WEP key in key index 1).

8.  Check that you do not have MAC (Media Access Control) address filtering on in the access point settings. If your WLAN network uses MAC address filtering for security, you will need to know the MAC address for your phone, and then add it to the access list for that network before you can connect. To find the MAC address for your phone, do the following:

1. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
2. Select Settings > About > More Info.
3. Then note the MAC address.

9.  If there are many WLAN access points nearby, try to use a different wireless channel in your WLAN access point. Select channel 1, 6, or 11 to optimize wireless performance.

10. Check if there is a software update available for your WLAN router.

11. If you are using a public WLAN access point, it is possible that all IP addresses are in use. Try to create a connection again later.

12. On your Lumia phone, delete non functioning WLAN access point (internet connection) and connect it again:

1. Disconnect the WLAN connection if connected.
2. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
3. Select Settings > WiFi.
4. Press Advanced at the bottom of the screen.
5. Tap and hold on the access point name and select Delete.
6. Now add the access point again.
7. On the Advanced screen, tap Add , type the network name in the Network name box, and then tap Add.
8. On the Sign in screen, type the password in the Password box, and then tap Done.
9. Tap the Back key once finished.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Jacktrade

Certainly a comprehensive and useful post. I have a 6-mo old 920 and a Linksys E3200.  the 920 asks for a password and I've tried all I have associated with the E3200.  I will try some of your suggestions but it seems a lot of people have the same problem. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Soperwoman

Hi :w00t:

Thanks that work perfectly, I hope it does not start to disconnect as I read others in this thread. I have tried everything on this thread to connect my new Nokia Lumia 820 to connect to my home Netopia router but nothing worked, but what you said change the operating mode to 802.11g from 802.11b/g. Thanks a mil, was getting really fed up with my new phone but now I can really start to enjoy it.:thumbsup: 

Please use plain text.
smurf33

my nokia lumia wont connect to my home wifi it keeps saying the password is incorrect but the password is correct 

Please use plain text.
Dracc

Hello

I have the 520 and am having the same problem   :smileysad:

Had to change the setting of router at home to get it to work....

that is easy where you have "access to router"

But in the "free wifi areas" like in the local pub :smileyhappy: and other areas, you don't have access top the router.

Nokia need to get this sorted, other people have asked me about the phone, what it is like etc.....

well you know the answere.....wifi problems....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Eamonn319

DJSupport,

Just bought a Lumia 520 and could not connect to my home wifi! I tried you solution (switch to 802.11G only) and it worked. I can now connect to my home wifi. Cheers.

DJSupportGuy wrote:

I had the same problem being described on my Nokia 920. I could connect to some WiFi APs - but the one I have at home I could not get to connect - no matter how many times I tried. I even setup different SSIDs with simpler passwords and every time I would get a message saying Password Incorrect.

I found the answer (for me) on a Microsoft discussion group. The suggestion was to check to see if the wireless router was configured as 802.11 B and G. If it was - change it to 802.11 G and try to connect.  I made the change on my Motorola Netopia 2247/57-62 - it was under the Expert Mode - Configure - Wireless - Advanced Wireless LAN Settings - Operating Mode - I changed it from Normal (802.11 b+g) to (802.11 g only) then rebooted the router. The next time I connected to one of my SSIDs it connected almost immediately.

Don't know if that helps anyone but if it helps anyone - that's great.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manishsharma123

lumia 720 same problem here. first 3 days wifi connected and worked nicely. but suddenly it stopped connecting and says password incorrect while my w7 and android works fine with same password. there are no options to add static ip also.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
920newbie

As I have seen a lot in this thread the Nokia 920 is not up to scratch in terms of wifi connectivity. The solutions that some offer may well work, but I didn't spend a bundle of cash on a smartphone to be my own service engineer.

I want my money back so that I can go and buy another Samsung. Never had any problems with them and will not use Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Dracc

Don't know why your saying this problem is solved "with the Green Tick"

Still having the problem, "incorrected password" when i know the password ????

Is my third post, as of so far no reply  from nokia,

As i said i will not recommend this phone to anyone with this problem

Non of the solutions here worked for me, as for the on to change the routers setting, am not allowed access to do this, as it is not mine :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mclastking

Problem has been solved for me :smileyvery-happy: change to 802.11 G Only and it works. This was for Motorola Netopia Router. Thanks. I have been trying all week to get his sorted and it finally has been.

Please use plain text.
arisa

Hi all,

Got the same problem, after a month using lumia 720, suddenly could not connect to home WiFi and public WiFi, saying the password incorrect.

What I do, hard reset it back to factory setting and then the WiFi is successfully connected. But be sure to do backup first for all data in the phone. Good luck for anyone who are facing the same problem, try this hard reset. Trust me, it's worth trying as it solved mine. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PhilipLumia920

Same problem here, connects art work but not home.  Bullion 7300G router.  

Disabled security and it connected - not a satisfactory solution.

Got it to work by changing to 802.11g only, did not work by itself, so changed WEP Authentication to BOTH.

Phone now connects to the WIFI.  Pretty disappointed in the Tech help in the previous posts "Restart Computer" - thanks Genius.

Phones obviously have a problem, I hope this solution helps others.

Please use plain text.
Sudya

[ Edited ]

Sorry, google translate!
Help, i also have a problem. I have router Mikrotik 951-2Hn, full access configuration in wifi and my Nokia 920 connecting only with WPA-PSK AES or not security! WPA2/AES not working - write Invalid password!
what to do?

Please use plain text.
arisa

Hi,

I've got this problem twice, where my L720 keep saying that home wifi password entered is incorrect. And I solved it twice by different methods.

When it first occured, I've managed to settle the problem by doing hard reset. Then after a week, the same problem re-occured, and I'm trying another method as this time I refused to do a hard reset again, because it takes time to re-install the app. So what I do this time, I tried by deleting others' known network that was saved in my L720 and suddenly, after deleting it my home wifi was connected automatically and successfully. So maybe anyone who suffer the same problem can try this easy step, instead of adjusting/reset the wifi router. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bfjb

thanks Eamon319 - changing to 801.11g only on the router setup worked straight away. Nokia should include this fix in the FAQ and support sections

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mingvana

I am having similar problems here, where my gf's Samsung connects straight away and my Lumia 920 just can't connect. Unfortunately, what most moderators here present as possible solutions, are not applicable for me, since I am in a hotel and I can't touch their router. Reading through this discussion kind of annoys me: if ALL OTHER phones are able to connect, then the problem is with the Lumia / windows phone, NOT the router, contrary to what the admins in this discussion appear to be trying to prove.
Please use plain text.
airbit

[ Edited ]

Changing the operating mode on the router to "802.11 g only" solved the problem, also on my brand new Lumia 1020.

Thanks for the help!

Please use plain text.
Vinby

I have exactly the same problem with my Lumia 620.

It worked fine on home Motorola Netopia 2247 for 3 months since purchase.

1 week ago the electricity company cut off the power for 4 hours scheduled maintenance.

Afterwards the Lumia would not connect to home WiFi and displayed message PASSWORD INCORRECT even though the correct password was definitely entered.

3 other devices in the household (XP laptop, W7 laptop & Android phone) reconnected successfully.

My Lumia successfully connects to WiFi at workplace.

I am going through all the various solutions offered in previous posts, but so far without success, it’s time consuming and very annoying.

I was very pleased with my Lumia until this happened.

From reading posts here and elsewhere it is apparent that there is definitely a WiFi problem with Lumia WP8 phones.

I hope Nokia/Microsoft read these posts and fix it.

Please use plain text.
UselessNOKI

I have the same problem with a Nokia 521. What a piece of **bleep**. Nokia should get off their **bleep** and fix this, and POST how to solve it. All the "try this" is **bleep**, it should work out of the box like a decent phone. I'm really tempted to bring it back before I get it going and just start fresh with something better.
Please use plain text.