Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Windows Phone 8 Lock Screen Timeout problem

Registered Member
Familyghost

Windows Phone 8 Lock Screen Timeout problem

I upgraded from an HTC 7 Windows Phone 7, to an HTC 8X on T-Mobile.  I had to return that fine device because a key software setting had been REMOVED.  This is the NEVER lock screen timeout.  Having Live Tiles, for many many reasons, needs to be visible at all times for many users.

I found that the Nokia 810 also was missing this setting.  After posting to HTC, Microsoft, and T-Mobile boards, one user said the 920 had the setting from 'Rogers' whatever that is.  My 920 just arrived and it DOES NOT have the NEVER lock screen timout either!

This simply has to be addressed.  It's a safety issue.  I have to take my hands off the wheel 20 times per hour to wake my device to be able to view incomming messages and tweets.  Try exercising if you can't see the screen.  If the device is on its charger, isn't it an obvious situation where you could see the screen all day at your desk?

Please addresss this immediately.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Windows Phone 8 Lock Screen Timeout problem

Saw a Feature request somewhere wherein the 3 lights for the Back / Start / Search keys should flash in particular manner for these notifications ...Hope this is implemented ..

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I assume OP isn't in the U.K , since if he is he's committing a criminal offence when he has "to take my hands off the wheel 20 times per hour to wake my device to be able to view incoming messages and tweets " regardless of whatever phone he is using.
Apart from hands free voice calls phone should never be used whilst driving.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@caitlin1759

Agreed. Sadly, people are still using their phones whilst driving and are an accident waiting to happen. 

Back on topic. My 920 has the "Never" option under the screen time out setting but mine is a GB CV model so doesn't have any network customisation. If the OP got his from a network they may have decided to remove that option from the phone.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Familyghost

There is still no response from Nokia, AT&T or Microsoft on this issue.

Please respond.

The phone will GO DARK AND LOCK in the DRIVING APP.  This means hands off the wheel.  Hello?  Safety, lawsuits?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Familyghost, this is a user to user forum only for Nokia products and services, so it would be your best bet to leave feedback with Nokia directly by clicking the Nokia Support link at the bottom of this page.

Additionally, you can leave feedback with Microsoft by visiting the link below:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpcnl

Nokia Lumia 800 with Windows Phone 7.5 also has the Lock Screen Timeout problem on some phones

[ Edited ]
This seems to be an issue with Windows Phone. On my Nokia Lumia 800 I also don't have the 'never' option. However, my friend has the exact same phone and he DOES have that option. The only difference I can think of so far is that I use a password to unlock the screen and he doesn't. In that case it is kind of logical that the 'never' option is missing when you require a password to use the phone. However, even when I disable the password, the 'never' option does not return...

For me it is an issue during my running work out with the Sports Tracker app. When running, I don't want to enter a password each time I need to check the status in the app. So before I start running, I disable the password and set the screen lock to it's max of  5 minutes but I still find it very annoying that I have to swipe away the screen lock before I can see my running stats.

I search the internet high and low and find many posts in forums from people with the same issue, but no post at all that actually confirms this is a bug or 'expected' behavior.

I am using a Nokia Lumia 800.

Thank you
John-Pierre
Please use plain text.
musica

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 with Windows Phone 7.5 also has the Lock Screen Timeout problem on some phones

Is your Nokia Lumia 800 locked to a particular Network Operator? How about your friend's Nokia Lumia 800? How about the existing firmware versions of both devices? 

jpcnl wrote:
This seems to be an issue with Windows Phone. On my Nokia Lumia 800 I also don't have the 'never' option. However, my friend has the exact same phone and he DOES have that option. The only difference I can think of so far is that I use a password to unlock the screen and he doesn't. In that case it is kind of logical that the 'never' option is missing when you require a password to use the phone. However, even when I disable the password, the 'never' option does not return...

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Sage
AndyCalling

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 with Windows Phone 7.5 also has the Lock Screen Timeout problem on some phones

Firstly, Nokia Drive is a beta app. That means it should be used for testing purposes only. It should certainly not be used for mission critical tasks, and if lives are at risk (ie. whilst driving) only a madman would rely on test software. Don't. Wait until it is released, as I bet it will keep the screen on like the video player app does. Also, I have a UK Portico Lumia 820 which came unlocked & unbranded. It doesn't have the 'never' time out option so this is nothing to do with branding. Anyway, why would a company want to remove such a setting? It's hardly comparable to tethering or the like. This is clearly an MS/Nokia bug and it does need fixing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpcnl

Both are Nokia Lumia 800, bought at the same time in the same store. They are not locked to a specific operator.
- Revision firmware: 1750.0805.8773.12220
- Revision hardware: 112.1402.2.3
- Software radio: 1.7.50.08
- Harware radio: 8255
- Bootloader: 7.41.0.0.
- Chip Soc: 0.74.2.1

Just checked my friends phone again, and now the 'Never' option is missing there too. Don't know since when...

Thank you
John-Pierre
Please use plain text.
musica

jpcnl wrote:
Both are Nokia Lumia 800, bought at the same time in the same store. They are not locked to a specific operator.
- Revision firmware: 1750.0805.8773.12220
- Revision hardware: 112.1402.2.3
- Software radio: 1.7.50.08
- Harware radio: 8255
- Bootloader: 7.41.0.0.
- Chip Soc: 0.74.2.1

Just checked my friends phone again, and now the 'Never' option is missing there too. Don't know since when...

Thanks! We'll work on this. We'll coordinate with @NokiaHelps, too.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpcnl

Thank you Musica, much appreciated !

Have a nice weekend.

Thank you
John-Pierre
Please use plain text.