Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Windows Phone 8 - Lumia 920 - email certificate er...

ShaneA

Windows Phone 8 - Lumia 920 - email certificate error 80048888

I've been searching all over for a solution to my problem.  My work email renewed the SSL certificate on the server yesterday and now I'm unable to get emails.  I only get an error saying there is a problem with the certificate, error code 80048888.  The only answers I've been able to find say to delete the mail account from the phone and set it up again.  This is RIDICULOUS as I have my accounts set up exactly how I want them, this account was added first because I want it's notification to be first on the lock screen.  This was not a problem in WP7, when the certificate renewed I was able to manually accept the new certificate.  This needs fixing!

Next problem:  So I went through the hassle of deleting the account and re-adding it.  Now I'm receiving email again, BUT I can't pin to start.  When I click and hold, the pin to start comes up, but it's faded out and I can't select it.  I even tried renaming the account, powering down and restarting the phone, neither worked.  Now my most important email account that I use the most often not only doesn't have notifications on the lock screen (unless I delete and re-add all my other email accounts), I can't even pin it to the start screen!  This needs fixing!

I love my Lumia 920 hardware and generally WP8 is an improvement over WP7, but there are some annoying bugs that weren't present in WP7 and things working in WP7 that are broken in WP8.

Anywhere else I can report these issues I'm having?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Windows Phone 8 - Lumia 920 - email certificate error 80048888

Not much response here either:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpemail/installinggenerating-security-certific...

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mor10

Under advanced settings un-tick SSL, save and when it fails again re-tick SSL and save. This seem to have worked on my 920
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BiggestFan

Mor10: That seemed like a good idea, but didn't work for me.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Things to try:

1) Delete the email account first (Settings > Email+accounts > Tap & hold email > Delete).

2) If your email account has Exchange server, ask your Company IT to update the certificate from the server.

3) After updating the certificate from the server, setup your email account again (Settings > Email+accounts > Add an account).

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Sevan

Same issue here. Emails are loaded the first time around. Subsequently the error message pops up. Tried changing SSL settings, soft resets and deleting the account (this last one is a pain). No change, the problem turns up again!

SSL certificates are renewed on a regular basis. The solution of deleting the email account and starting all over is nothing but a poor reflection of how Nokia appears to take up the issue. My first Nokia and after having read about Nokia's top notch quality, this is a dissapointment.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JohnWGraham

I just got my phone and have the same problem as well...too bad really because I love the phone, but can't keep it if th email doesn't work....I'm the first person in a 5000+ people company getting a windows phone on our new wireless planm, I would have been a big booster of the phone but I guess I'll have to choose BB, Andriod or iPhone :-(

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BPfromTO

[ Edited ]

Deleting  in and adding GMail account again worked for me !

I BTW, my Model is Lumia 620 - I love my new window phone in general !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GTFPH

Removing and adding account again worked in my Lumia 920.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AllAboutGadgets

Does anyone have access to Microsoft KB article for this problem ?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MoriceRdz

Hi, in my Lumia WP 8 520, i resolve this problem with deleted my account, reinstall ceritifcate, restart my phone and create the new mi email account again.

Regards

ShaneA wrote:

I've been searching all over for a solution to my problem.  My work email renewed the SSL certificate on the server yesterday and now I'm unable to get emails.  I only get an error saying there is a problem with the certificate, error code 80048888.  The only answers I've been able to find say to delete the mail account from the phone and set it up again.  This is RIDICULOUS as I have my accounts set up exactly how I want them, this account was added first because I want it's notification to be first on the lock screen.  This was not a problem in WP7, when the certificate renewed I was able to manually accept the new certificate.  This needs fixing!

Next problem:  So I went through the hassle of deleting the account and re-adding it.  Now I'm receiving email again, BUT I can't pin to start.  When I click and hold, the pin to start comes up, but it's faded out and I can't select it.  I even tried renaming the account, powering down and restarting the phone, neither worked.  Now my most important email account that I use the most often not only doesn't have notifications on the lock screen (unless I delete and re-add all my other email accounts), I can't even pin it to the start screen!  This needs fixing!

I love my Lumia 920 hardware and generally WP8 is an improvement over WP7, but there are some annoying bugs that weren't present in WP7 and things working in WP7 that are broken in WP8.

Anywhere else I can report these issues I'm having?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chagal

Had same problem with 925, unticked SSL boxes, seems to have corrected problem

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

@chagal that is a workaround rather than a solution. Furthermore, it is a rather expensive workaround because now everyone can read your mails and passwords. WHich E-mail provider do you use? Which server address do you use?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chagal

eircom.net

thanks for advice
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

@chagal are you using webmail.eircom.net as IMAP server address? Because that server is misconfigured, within the Internet Explorer of your Windows Phone, please, go to traud.de/ta and click on ‘Thawte Primary.cer’. Install that certificate authority. Does it work now?

I cannot enable SMTP for you because the server mail1.eircom.net uses a custom (self-signed) certificate authority which expired back in 2004. Obviously that company does not care about your security. Instead, I recommend to use the web frontend m.eircom.net/webmail because it provides SSL/TLS.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chagal

Webmail@eircom.net seems to work. Tks.
Please use plain text.