Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Windows Phone 8 issue causing restarts

Contributor
eloekset
Accepted Solution

Windows Phone 8 issue causing restarts

Hi!

I've had problems with my Nokia Lumia 920 since it was new. I've read about the problem, and I know it's not related to the Lumia 920 only - it was a well known problem on the HTC 8X before the 920 was released.

The fact that this is an issue for several (or all?) models running Windows Phone 8, I'm surprised to see all the threads in this forum suggesting to replace the SIM card with a new one or do a soft or hard reset of the phone. Maybe the phone will not restart in a while after doing one or more of these things, but I strongly dubt it will fix the problem.

What I'm trying to say, is that I'd like to see some real explanations of why this issue seems to happen to all phones running Windows Phone 8, and what is being done to provide a permanent fix. According to this post, Microsoft has found a fix and started rolling out an update in december 2012: http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/28/windows-phone-8-random-reboot-fix-coming-over-the-air-next-month-sa...

I got an update last week, but the issue was not fixed. The phone keeps restarting just as often as before.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eloekset

After having a discussion with an owner of a Lumia 610 and a Lumia 820, I'm not so sure about what I wrote in the original post anymore.

We both own a Lumia 610 running WP7.8, and we both own a WP8 device (I've got a 920 and he's got a 820).

The thing is that my 610 has been totally stable all time, while he's had the restart issue on his 610 all time. And we're expiriencing the same thing with our WP8 devices - his 820 is totally stable, while my 920 has the restart issue.

This proves that I was wrong about the statement that the restart issue happens for several (or all?) models running Windows Phone 8. And since his WP7.8 device has had the restart issue, while mine doesn't have it - it's clear that the issue may or may not appear on both WP7.8 and WP8 even on the exact same models.

I've contacted my local dealer to hear if they can suggest a solution for my 920 - if they suggest that I get a new SIM card, I'll try it and post here if it works or not.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There are many reasons why a phone may restart and not every report you see here has the same cause while the effect obviously is the same.

It is well known that older SIMs can cause this and it's not a specific WP issue wither, you'll find these reports on all platforms here (S40/Symbian) as well as other brands. Even within the cause (a SIM) the reason could be different such as a person cutting their mini SIM to micro themselves and not doing it right causing a short or misalignment or older SIM cards which are jusat not compatible. Also older SIMs will dent the contacts which may cause problems as well.

Getting a new SIM would always be a good first step especially if you use a SIM which was previously used in another phone.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eloekset

Yesterday I got a new SIM card from the same operator. During the night my 920 has rebooted again.

It reboots mostly when I don't use it and when I make a phone call. I don't think it has rebooted while tapping the screen or using any apps yet. And I always close all running apps by pressing the back button until the app switcher screen is empty.

Any other suggestions than changing SIM card?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eloekset

I'm going to update this thread now because the problem is solved.

For several weeks, I used the SIM card from my Lumia 920 in my Lumia 610, and the Lumia 920 was used without any SIM card. Then the 920 stopped restarting. It didn't restart for at least 3 or 4 weeks when using it "normally" without a SIM card. And my 610 didn't restart either, even if it was using the SIM card that made my 920 restart.

Then after some weeks, I decided to give "the factory reset solution" a try. I've seen in this forum that doing a factory reset should solve the problem. And it did!

First after doing the factory reset, I almost gave up the phone because it went into an endless loop of running gears on the screen. I googled it, and found that this often happens when doing a factory reset. The solution was to do a hard reset with a special combination of keys (you'll find it easily by googling it). This had to be done about 10 times before the phone got out the endless running gears.

Now I've been using the phone with the same (but new) SIM card for over two weeks, and it hasn't restarted yet. Normally it would have restarted several times in this period, so I'm now convinced that the problem has been solved.

I have to mention that I've installed exactly the same apps after doing the hard reset. I took screen shots of the entire start screen and the entier app list before I started, and reinstalled and setup the start screen again exactly the same way it was.

Please use plain text.
adcmelb

Had the same issue went through all what they tell you about the sim card, and hard reset nothing works then I stumbled on an article that seems to have worked.

Click on Settings:

Click on Mobile Network:

Change Highest Connection Speed from 4G to 3G

Change Network Selection from Automatic to Your Service Provider

By the way I have a Nokia Lumia 920

Please use plain text.
homer12

adcmelb wrote:

Had the same issue went through all what they tell you about the sim card, and hard reset nothing works then I stumbled on an article that seems to have worked.

Click on Settings:

Click on Mobile Network:

Change Highest Connection Speed from 4G to 3G

Change Network Selection from Automatic to Your Service Provider

By the way I have a Nokia Lumia 920

already done this, makes no difference.
my phone is 625 bulgarian running UK configeration. hope this is fixed in 8.1!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

How old is your SIM ? Is it an original micro-SIM or cut down by hand from a mini-SIM ?

Please use plain text.