Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: alarm doesn't work when phone is off nokia lum...

Advisor
tazaracsp

alarm doesn't work when phone is off nokia lumia 920

why doesn't the alarm work if the nokia lumia 920 is off? this is ridiculous. windows phone is junk, nokia should have stuck with Meego Harmattan and the Nokia N9

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: alarm doesn't work when phone is off nokia lumia 920

Thats the way it works .. even if it seems ridiculous ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

tazaracsp wrote:

why doesn't the alarm work if the nokia lumia 920 is off? this is ridiculous. windows phone is junk, nokia should have stuck with Meego Harmattan and the Nokia N9

Then Android is also junk despite the hundreds of millions of handsets sold, since it works in the same way.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Don't iPhones also only sound the alarm if they are switched on?

Simply set your alarm then put the phone in flight mode so that you aren't disturbed, no big deal.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DoneWithApple

To me, that's like saying, "Why is my car so slow when it is parked?"

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

I'm with you on this tazaracsp. Just because the iPhone and Android don't do something, it doesn't mean it's ok. The Nokia N8 was able to wake itself up and do many things that the Lumia can't. Why should we have the features we know and love removed in the name of progress? HDMI out, sync with Oulook over USB or Bluetooth. Send text messages from Nokia Suite etc etc.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

No point in arguing whether it should or shouldn't do it. It doesn't do it, end of story, get over it.

If you are unhappy about the situation feel free to submit written complaints to both Microsoft and Nokia as there is zero that can be done to change this as the OS and the hardware doesn't support it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SergeMcG

I have a similar opinion. I would say, why shold I have some basic features not included? Basically, it is like having an intruder alarm on my car and having this to work only if the car is switched on..! :-)

And yes I had a Nokia N8.. thinking to go back ot it, retunring my new Lumia 920.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

If you want to look at what the next nokia phone will do, it is basically what ios and android do.

There is no techinical reason why it shouldnt work, i mean every phone i had before the 920 could do it, going back 8-9 years.

Seeing how bad the 920 has been at holding its charge, its quite funny (from the outside) how they left this detail out. I have had to use my old n8, and xpress music as alarms. as they still sound when the phone is switched off.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Its not a feature end of story,same as many other phones.Picking at the alarm is childish really,move on.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
no_kiascared

Wow I didn't know there were others like me for whom the alarm was such an important feature of the phone! Really Nokia, fix this! Or else I will have to start carrying some ancient pocket watch or something to wake me up everyday cuz I just can't sleep with the phone on!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Its not something that Nokia can fix in current hardware or software. It is functioning exactly as Microsoft intended it to. If you are unhappy about that you need to submit your complaint to Microsoft.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

I'm still amazed people think that a phone which is off can actually do anything. Even after this has been explained to death so many times just on these boards alone.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

paulheu wrote:

I'm still amazed people think that a phone which is off can actually do anything. Even after this has been explained to death so many times just on these boards alone.

Then you should be amazed at what Nokia Symbian and MeeGo phones can do.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

They certainly do not sound they alarm when off:

• Set an alarm
  • Pull the battery and put it back in or press and hold power for 10+ seconds to simulate this if the battery can't be removed
  • Do not press the on/off button
  • Do not connect a charger
  • The alarm will not go off.

As explained so often before, pressing the 'Onn/Off' button does not really switch the phone off, it puts the phone in a sleep or standby mode.When off connecting a charger will also bring the phone to this sleep mode. That's another pet peeve for many people, the fact WP devices need to be on to charge. Well so do Symbian, Meego and Sx0 devices.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

No smartphone is really completely dead even if you off it. Like a car, the battery still maintains some critical functions even when the engine is off. The difference with Symbian/MeeGo is that the alarm still works if the phone is ostensibly off. Actually it is a minor point as airplane mode consumes only a little more power than turning off the phone.  But some users just miss what they were used to in Symbian.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Raimei

You're wrong. I had am asha 309, bought my Lumia 920, removed the battery to remove the sim card.

The next day the alarm went off, and i didn't turn the phone on after inserting it's battery....

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

i think it's just how folks got typically used to having to still be able to count on the alarm even when the fone is off. off, like just simply turning the fone off. whether its for saving the battery or simply avoiding to get calls. some folks prefer unwanted callers to hear "..sorry, the mobile is out of coverage area.." (or something similar), than just not picking up or hanging up the fone.

with the old nokias, the only time i turned my fone off was to avoid getting a call from someone.. but still had to count on the alarm to wake myself up. were i was is totally not the point here.

i reckon folks just have to get used to using the 'offline' mode, or 'airplane' mode. works the same way. but technically, it just eats more power compared to having the fone 'off'.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumia9uiui

Well ... all previous nokia phones i have used before lumia would sound the alarm if my phone battery died during the night. I loved this feature. Never got up late for work.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

No phone will sound any alarm if it's battery is dead, Nokia or other.

Please use plain text.