Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: contacts from N8

Sage

contacts from N8

[ Edited ]

A few days ago a friend who had an N8 called me. He'd bought a brand new Lumia 800 and wanted me to configure his device.

He basicly wanted my to do the following things.

- Send over his contacts either from his N8 or from his PC. The PC contained the 'master' in Outlook together with his calendar. So that was the prefered option.

- he wanted me to make the phone ready to surf the web and fetch emails from his ISP-pop-account over his WIFI-router

- send over some music that he had stored in iTunes.

- if possible set-up some things like he had on his N8 like call-recording (which is impossible on any windows phone)

- and explain a few basic things so he could start using the phone.

After the initial ooh's and aah's wow's about the design of the Lumia 800 and the free included cover, the real work began.

Since this too was my first foray into windows Phone 7.x it was also very new to me too. I must admit that I had been fooling around with a few winphones in the shops. The familiar five-minute strolling around that everybody does but which doesn't really show you what these devices realy can or can not do.

Setting up the email-account went quite well. But from then on things went downhill. I downloaded the ZUNE-software (which the supplied leaflet recommends) and installation went fine. However it came to my attention that the only things you can transfer are music, photos and videos. IMHO transfering music isn't as intiutive as it could but I thought that a small adjustment period might change my view on this. Anyway I managed to transfer music from iTunes to the phone. However my biggest struggle began when I wanted to transfer the contacts and calender from my friends PC to his phone. There's no syncing with the onboard Windows Addressbook nor Windows Live mail nor outlook. Windows Mobile center, which is Microsofts suposedly standard method to sync 'mobile devices' in Windows vista/7, isn't supplied nor works. This is in stark contrast from my past experiences with Windows Mobile or Pocket PC OS. I remember that my HP Jornada 568 came with a CD containing both Activesync and Outlook 2002 which worked like a charm.

I looked on the internet about various means of transfering these contacts and calenders. I made a live/hotmail account, as suggested on some websites, to transfer these things but since there's no 'sync' in the menu-structure nor button to actually start syncing, I gave up using that route. Pressing sync button through the email-account also showed no indication that my agenda and contacts would be syncronised as well. Then I found something about "Outlook connector" which only seems to sync agenda but not contacts. Again since that item isn't very intuitive nor gives any indication that syncing has occurred, I gave up. In the end I had 4 live-accounts in outlook of which I had absolutely no idea whether they had actually synced or not. At one time I managed to get US-holidays on the calender both on the phone and on the web. But since I hadn't a clue as how I did that nor did I want those US-holidays on my flemish calender in the first place, I removed these accounts and manually removed this holiday-calender too. I got so annoyed and angered that allmost smashed this phone into the ground. Completely frustraded I gave up trying to get data from the PC into the phone. This is the worst experience that I ever encountered to transfer a measly 10 contacts from a PC onto the bloody phone. I really didn't want to re-type the contact info manually on the phone nor would that bring the contact pictures from my addressbook to the phone either. I saw that on the hotmail-page I could 'import' a CSV-file made by outlook into the live/hotmail-agenda but that too wouldn't send over the contact-photos either. Plus I doubt that many people even know how to 'export' data into a CSV-file. In fact I did tried that and managed to get the contacts into the web-hotmail-calender but the phone didn't get a thing. Maybe I should have waited a bit longer but this is NOT how I deal with tech. If you want to sent contacts from a PC to a phone then we expect changes to occur immediatly and not within hours or days.

In the end I tried an app called contact-transfer which is supplied on the phone itself. This small app sends over contacts from a bluetooth enabled Nokia phone onto a Nokia Lumia phone. At least I presume this is a Nokia-only app. This finally allowed me to send over my contacts including contact-pictures from my friend's N8 onto his brand new Lumia 800. I have about 590 contacts myself on my own C7-00 and shrudder by the thought of using that 'contact transfer' utility to send my contacts to a another phone. What Nokia hasn't foreseen is that usually ppl trade-in their old phone to get a discount on their new phones. In that case you don't even have your old phone to retrieve your contacts from. I just hate it!

It took me several HOURS of frustration, lots of coffee and associated stress and aggravation. I felt nothing but disgust for that phone. I can't stress enough that I really hate it! The most trivial thing, sending a few contacts, including their contact-photos, from a PC to a phone over a stupid USB cable is NOT possible. And this is from the same company that makes BOTH the phone OS and Outlook PIM on the PC. I **bleep**ing HATE Windows Phone! Since my friend is a retired man, he hasn't got much facebook-contacts (I doubt that many folk in their early 70's have lots of facebook-friends anyway), I didn't bother to setup facebook- or twitter-syncing.

Then he asked me if the phone could record calls. Because he's had several heart surgeries and because of his age he has imperfect speech. So he'd record calls on his former N8 and played these back later to reiterate the conversations. That way he could listen on his own tempo to the request that are sometimes made on the phone (especially when various technical problems occur with whatever consumer-device people have in their houses). I repeated him again that ONLY Symbian devices currently handle call-recording. Which I had repeatedly told him before and which is the prime reason why I stay clear of ANY windows phones myself (since I also use that feature a lot).

I can already say. I WILL NOT BUY A WINDOWS PHONE! No matter what brand. This is pure **bleep**! With an iPhone you CAN sent contacts and agenda to the phone using the supplied (familiar) white USB-cable. Sure, iTunes hasn't got much options on how to do it, but at least it WORKS!!!!

The real sad part is that this **bleep** OS is made by the same folks whom shoved 'Outlook' (that part of Office indeed) through our throats for the last 2 decades. In fact old Pocket PC's came with an CD containing both activesync AND outlook 2002 (BTW which I still use today on my Win XP system). Funny thing is that Activesync used to sync over Wifi in early versions. but this was later removed and limited to bluetooth-only wireless transfer in later versions because Microsoft in their wisdom decided that an encrypted WEB/WPA-wifi-transfer is less secure than an unencrypted bluetooth-transfer, doh! (And these are the guys that Nokia partnered with to make their prime smartphone OS. Oh dear!)

I remember that in Vista that got replaced with Windows Mobile Center. Back then it usually went quite smooth, even over bluetooth. And yet in 2012 their flagship phone OS gives nothing but grief and headaches when you want such a trivial thing as transfering your contacts from your PC to the phone. RIDICULOUS!!!

Alone from my experience with sending over a few contacts from a PC I can NOT recommend ANY Windows Phone. Even iPhones or Androids have much better options to do that. iTunes does it by itself and on Android there's e.g. Phone Explorer (a donation-ware program) that works on both SE-featurephones (like K750i) and Android-phones (I personally tried it with a Samsung Galaxy IIS). And on Symbian there's the familiar Nokia Suite. After my struggle I went home and didn't bother to do much else with the phone. Nor look at the what other apps this device had to offer. I just had enough of Windows Phone for the rest o/t day (and probably my life).

Pure **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**!

I don't even care what other Windows crapphone OS devices Nokia ever releases. I don't want them, I don't care about them and I have already had enough of them.

Just release me an N8 with the systemboard of the 701 (or in laymans terms an Nokia 701 with N8's camera) preferably in the N8-case. I'd even settle with the 8GB E:-drive instead o/t 16GB storage space but then I want true 8GB instead of 7GB as in the 701!!! (NOKIA ARE YOU LISTENING! Did you really think we wouldn't notice?)

For the ppl who don't believe me that Nokia is scamming us, I've included screenshots from both the C7-00 which has true 8GB storage space and the 701 which as only 7Gb storage space (the program used is X-plore).

A very unhappy Nolian!

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please do not use offensive language on the forum

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Re: **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** **bleep**!

I did not read your entire post. I stopped at your problems with syncing contacts using Outlook and the Hotmail connector.

The connector software only syncs what is on the default data file. If the contacts were on another data file, then the connector was installed, they won't sync. I had this problem. Pretty much had to sync them to google, install the connector and let it make a different default data file, then re-sync from google. The contacts then would be on the correct data file.

Time consuming, yes. It's a small initial step in getting something set up though.

Aside from that... enjoy a glass of wine, or a shot of whatever and get some rest. Wake up and then get on your friend's case for not having a proper backup/sync relationship with his contacts. Were they already on google's servers, or hotmail's for that matter, this wouldn't have been an issue.

The only time I had problems like what you described was when transferring my contacts/calendar from google to hotmail and that had nothing to do with WP7.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chris166

I Think you have come to the wrong place.......

I know there are loads of problems with the Lumia 800

And i have my own moans over the 710....

But the problems you are describing are more windows based and have nothing to do with nokia phones apart from they now use WP mango.....

You would be better off complaining over on the Microsoft Windows Website as this is more a Firmware/Software problem rather than a Hardware problem.....

You seem to be confussed between Hardware and software......

Microsoft supply the software that you are haveing trouble with....nokia just supply the hardware that it is installed on.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I thought this forum was about "Nokia with Windows Phone". AFAIK the Lumia 800 is a Nokia with Windows Phone. So I don't think this is the wrong place.

My problems are indeed Windows Phone based and I can't understand that Nokia went with them for their next generation smartphones. Since Nokia IS able to provide 3rd party software to WinPho they 'could' supplied a nokia-tool to replace the Zune-software (or add Winpho support to e.g. Nokia Suite).

Also Nokia can forward my compains to Microsoft and push Microsoft to improve this or  write an app themselves and cash in on it. 

And no I'm noy confused at all. There's no indicate that this forum is either software or hardware only based. It only says 'Nokia with Windows Phone'.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

OK. Here I am AGAIN!

Guess what, that friend with his Lumia 800 called again. He returned it for repair on march 1st. Complained about battery-life and too quiet, having missed way too much calls etc...  Wasn't very happy about it. Wanted to exchange it for an E7, exchange was declined. Finally, got a brand new Lumia 800 yesterday. Allmost 1 month without his 499 euro's phone, no temporary phone in the meantime. He definitly wasn't very happy. I doubt that he'll buy a Nokia again.

Anyway. He called me back to restore his settings (again). Oh BTW, has anybody noticed that there's NO backup/restore facility in Zune? Anyway, one of his complaints was that the ringtones were too quiet and he missed quite some calls because of this. My own ringtone is specifically boosted so that it sounds very loud (My former Acer F1 was also a notably quiet phone). I compared his old N8, my 701 and this Lumia 800 (N8 is definitly the loudest, then the 701 and the most quiet is the Lumia 800). The first problem. Sending my boosted ringtone to his Lumia. First tried over Bluetooth... DOESN'T WORK! Great the easiest way to transfer a bloody 30second ringtone is a no go! It took me to install Zune software, transfer my ringtone over bluetooth from my 701 to his PC, import in Zune, make sure it's LESS then 1MB (converting from WAV to MP3) and put it as Genre: ringtone (this is a tip). Then connect Lumia and transfer the 'ringtone'. If you DON'T use the genre=ringtone your bloody ringtones don't get recognised as such. **bleep**. Oh, did I mention there's no file manager either?

To my surprise my boosted ringtone was deemed acceptable.

So I prepared a ringtone expecially for him. I cropped a piece from a song that he liked and boosted its volume as much as possible. This time it's a lot louder than the supplied ringtones. so...

NOKIA, PLEASE INCREASE THE VOLUME ON THE RINGTONES SUPPLIED WITH THIS PHONE!!!  This is a FREE tip for Nokia/Microsoft! Otherwise ppl will keep complaining that this phone is too quiet. The problem is that we can't do it ourselfs because we can't sent the standard ringtones from the phone to the PC to boost these ourselves. Great!

Then again the hassle with contacts began. SInce I didn't have his old N8-data anymore, I really had to use Live. Luckily I transfered from my previous attempts most of his contacts manually to Live so that I somehow managed to get his contacts synchronised to the phone.

Then tried outlook hotmail connector again. Again, that POS drove me up the wall! That WP7 is really making me MAD! Can't these guys gives us SOME indication whether the bloody things are actually synced ar not synced! Microsoft or Nokia, PUT A BLOODY SYNC-BUTTON on outlook connector!!! So that it's obvious that we're syncing stuff! You've got no bloody idea what the hell is going on! Not on the Phone, Not on Live and not on Outlook! This is useless. With activesync you got an immediate action.  With Nokia suite you get an immediate action. With this WP7 stuff it's, all cloak and dagger!

Again I just can't make ppl understand how much I detest WP7. The simplest things can't be done. Like sending a bloody photo to a PC over bluetooth or a ringtone from one phone to another! This used to be Nokia's forte, sending stuff from one phone to another.

In the end I just gave up. I installed and setup emails on the phone (both Live-hotmail and his POP-accounts), moved some music to the phone. setup the live accounts in agenda and people hub to the best of my knowledge (and in the hope that it actually works which I doubt).

Since I got my N8 and 701 with him (to compare ringtone volumes on these phones as i couldn't believe that the Lumia was soo quiet). I also compared camera. I noticed that the both symbian models had better colour representation. That Lumia's camera is really bad. especially compared to the N8. But for an autofocus camera it's not much better then my 701 with it's EDOF module. I really expected a comprehensive improvement over the C7-00/701. Photos are overexposed, way too red and not very sharp for suposedly Carl Zeis optics.

I can't wait for that 808 pureview to come out. And above all... I really, really hope that this guy doesn't call me much to fix his Lumia whenever it needs fixing. Especially with regards to contacts, calendar and tasks. Thank god, he lives on the 4rd floor so jumping out the window is gonna be a quick and painless if necessary ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

The simplest way to set up a WP is through Exchange Mail, set up an account on the old phone, then sync, then set up the Live using the same mail address on the Lumia/WP and all contactsand calendar events are synced, that takes about ten minutes. Syncing Music and media is relatively simple with zune, and creating a ring tone simply means changing the properties, as you say , to ringtone, of which there are 1,000's free on the web. A little research instead of diving in head first often helps !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

Not every domestic user has an exchange mail account unless the work organization offer its employee and support its employee with account assistance.  Ordinary domestic user may stick to the free Live account to sync Outlook Contact and Calendar data to the WP.  The Hotmail Connector limit the length of each Contact's name and did not sync Contact's photo to the Live account.  There is no way the Outlook Tasks can be linked with Live account unless input every tasks into the Live account To-Do.  There are a lot of shortage and limitation in WP.

angler
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

What seems to be missed by many is that when syncing Windows Phone with Outlook through the connector it will only sync the contacts and/or Calendar data which is linked with the LiveID. So copy contacts to be synced to the contact list of the LiveID (in Outlook) and copy the 'offline' calendar to the LiveID calendars (in Outlook) and use that version from then on out.

For many  it seems that an alternative solution would be to use Windows Live Mail which will sync with your LiveID as soon as you log in with it.

If you need more information please go here.

Let me know if there is any more questions on this.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

@ Mr. Carman.

1) I thought that exchange is a relatively 'new' thing in WP as it was never intended to be used as a business platform.

2) Do you really think that a +70 year old man has an exchange server hiding under his desk?

These phones are supposed to be used by non-technical consumers with a simple stand alone PC at home. SO DON'T COME WITH THIS **bleep** ABOUT HOW EASY IT IS WITH EXCHANGE! 

Besides 10 minutes to set up 'something' to sync contacts and calendars is way too long! BTW, I strongly doubt that installing, setting up and properly configuring accounts on an exchange server takes 10minutes. It should be easy. Plug USB cable at one end in phone, plug other end to PC, start some SYNC-software, press big bold SYNC-button and SYNC the damn things!

It used to be a walk in the park in 2005! Now, in 2012, it's a fight with your **bleep**ing PC and the bloody interclouds.

This is not PROGRESS!

Oh and your comment about 'doing a little research'. These phones are supposed to be intuitive and easy to use... But aparantly these 'promises' don't mean **bleep** when an old man wants to duplicate his WINDOWS adressbook with his WINDOWS Phone!

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

@ Kosh

OK, guys, I understand that you try to help me here. But that phone has gotten SOOO MUCH on my nerves that I completely abandoned my faith in Microsoft ever producing a proper easy to use phone-OS. It wasn't flawless before but at least at all worked (for a couple of days prior to resetting the bloody WM-phones), But this is pure junk. That Lumia 800 only has a beautifull screen and a gorgeous design.... but that is it! Really, there's NOTHING enjoyable at ALL!

Anyway.

Microsoft has enforced the use of outlook as primary PIM for over a decade. Not to mention that not everybody has a Live-account nor is interested in one (when he's or she has got their ISP's POP account).

Live is a NO GO for this man. He's finally learned how to use POP-email with outlook (which works much better than that Live-essentials stuff) and he's reluctant to use Live. It used to work intuitively (using Nokia Suite) on his N8 and it SHOULD intuitively work with his Lumia 800 too. You can't expect people to throw away their expensive software (fully licensed Office 2010) because a stupid phone doesn't like it. It's even more disastrous that this phone's OS is from the same guys that created both the PIM and OS on the PC.

Enforcing exchange-solutions or Live-accounts is NOT the solution that many folks seek! Microsoft created the Mobile center as a replacement for ActiveSYNC in Vista/7 why not utilise it? IMHO Microsoft should adapt in this matter NOT their users.

So Mr. Koch. Tell Microsoft to find a solution for 'domestic users'! Make it work like worked in 2005 with Activesync and outlook. Or they WILL loose customers. 

I hope that Nokia might tempt this man to ditch this Lumia 800 and go for the 808 Pureview soon (since he used to have an N8 it'll be very familiar) if they value him as a Nokia (not Microsoft-) customer. Or else he'll be gone to the Android/iOS/non-Nokia camp thanks to Microsoft.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi Manu_T,

The Lumia family phones, being Windows Phone devices, will need a LiveID for much more than mail. To backup your contacts and calendar as well as be able to use paid apps your will need the LiveID amongst other things. You are not required to use the LiveID for mail if you choose not to.

Tell this man to create a LiveID on http://live.com if he has not done so. Then, as I understand he is using Outlook 2010, tell him to create an account on Outlook for his LiveID. This will download and install the Outlook Hotmail connector for him and he will find the contact list and calendar as I described before. A good aid in this setup can be found here.

Once this is setup correctly this will function without any more intervention and both his phone and hit Outlook will be synced automatically and virtually live.

For more information please refer to this post.

Let us know how you get on,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Looks interesting. I'll go to that man next month. I'll look into it when I'm visiting him again. That is, if he still want me too.

I do have the impression that doesn't like that phone anymore. Since wanted the store to exchange or for an E7. I told him that if he really wanted a Symbian model he'd better wait untill the Pureview 808 comes out (which will inevitably decrease prices on the older models too)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Kosh wrote:

Hi Manu_T,

[snipped]

Let us know how you get on,

Kosh

Hi Kosh, Thanks for your attempts to help me.

Anyway, I was at my friend a few days ago. He put the Lumia 800 back in the packaging in th cupboard. I gave him  my N8 and he promptly swapped it for the Lumia 800.

Great, now I'm stuck with it!

Since it can't record phonecalls (automatically) it's useless to me. As a road warrior I depend on that (especially since more and more goverments ban using phones when driving).

I noticed that the screen is pentatile layout. Major bummer. Just as an example visit www.eurotv.com, rotate the device for lanscape view and scale the front page down so that the entire page fits to screen. While my 701 has a lower resolution the text is more readable at that small size then on the Lumia 800 with it's 1) bigger screen and 2) higher resolution. This is crazy!

The other niggles like no local outlook syncing only make matters worse (I have over 600 contacts and client confidentiality prohibits me from using any cloud-syncing as these get inevitably hacked). It's clear that this is never gonna be my primary phone.

I guess I'll just wrapp it up and keep it as a trade in for that 808 PureView.

A pity. As it's first impression isn't so bad. The bad things float atop after a few days of real use. The camera is better than I thought. A pity that Nokia never used these camera's on e.g. the C7-00 or 701 as a lot of users feel the EDoF camera's on these devices are a big disadvantage. With this 8Mpixel AF module (which is quite flat and probably fits inside an C7-00) Nokia would have kept a whole bunch of customers from flooding to Android and iPhones. Alas.

It looks nice from the outside though.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MadKat

Manu_T is right in every sentence.

Yesterday, I bought a Lumia for my wife. I've been trying to get her contacts from the previous N73 to the Lumia ever since. Remember: from Nokia phone to Nokia phone. Who would've thought that Nokia wouldn't make it a 5-minute task ? Remember, I don't want to juggle email accounts, Windows Live IDs or any other supercalifragilistic mumbo-jumbo in the process - I just want the plain-and-simple contacts from the old phone to the new phone. Offline. With a simple app and an USB cable.

Just can't get it done. I'm ashamed to say I'm a sysadmin and I rock several servers for a living at work, every day - and I can't get a simple task done on the Lumia.

Just got one thing to say: I WILL NEVER BUY A NOKIA PHONE AGAIN. Ever. Period.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi MadKat

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Have you synced contacts and/or calendars with Outlook through Nokia Suite and if so which version. Which version of Windows are you using.

Unfortunately the N73 doesn't support the PBAP(PhoneBookAccessProfile) and because of this you can't use the Contacts Transfer app which is available on the Lumia. Windows Phone uses Exchange Active Sync compatible services as Hotmail, gmail and Exchange  to sync contacts and calendars. Depending on your PC configuration you have a number of options. Please see this post and let us know if you have any further questions on this.

Kosh

Please use plain text.