Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: how to make a song a ringtone

melkirk69
Accepted Solution

how to make a song a ringtone

hiya i would like to know how to make a song a ringtone on my nokia lumia i only got it today and cant work out how to do it like other nokias. 

thanks 

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

The music file needs to be below 40 seconds long

and you need to so set the Genre to 'ringtone'

But you can set the Genre of the music file in Zune, before you transfer the song.

Please use plain text.
melkirk69

right ok thank you i wil try it now :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
melkirk69

ive tryed that ive cut the song down to 31secs changed the genre and transfered it to my phone and still cant use it as ringtone its not coming up at all..any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@melkirk69

Presumably you have already seen this Microsoft resource?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/howto/wp7/start/create-ringtones.aspx

Perhaps try a free app from Marketplace upon device:http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/11/17/how-to-apps-for-creating-...

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
quovardis

Why have Nokia taken a step backwards like this? Why not just let us select a song to use as a ringtone like you could on the privious handsets? i.e. n95, n96, 97, n900 etc.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdemedts

I like it more like this. Now my ringtones are not in the list with regular music.

Note that the filesize also has to be less then 1 MB in order to get ik working.
Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

would be better if Zune had a feature to cut down a regular music file and make it a ringtone ... just a simpla audio editor would be great.

but i agree...  adding a genre 'ringtone' is clever. . seperates it good from the rest of the music in the phone

Please use plain text.
quemans

[ Edited ]

Now my ringtones are not in the list with regular music.

Community Managerment notice:

Concealed image file removed from this post.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
WillHampton

i am using the myxer app now but how about changing your message sound??????
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

WillHampton wrote:
i am using the myxer app now but how about changing your message sound??????

At the moment it's only possible to use the default Message tones

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alta6404

need to know how to set my ringtone on the nokia lumia 900

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@alta6404

Please refer to the following link:

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia900/userguide/?action=onlineuserguidepagechange&pFil...
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spaecai1k

I dont seem to have 'ringtone' as a genre in Zune?

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

You need to type in Ringtone in the Genre column of Zune. 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
sybaris

I had to register because I need to let you know what I think.

I am a 45 year old bloke and I have spent the best part of tonight trying to get new songs onto my wifes nokia lumia 800, Ok after 30 mins I managed that then she said 'can I have a new text message funny tone and a new ringtone' So I said yea.

OMG and I mean Oh My God, what on earth do you think you have done? Why have you made it so complicated. Its not real it seems I cant go to the music part on the phone and choose a new ringtone Oh no people on here it seems are unable to distinguish between ringtones and music in one so they split it up. Not only that you have to get zune to register the song/sound whatever as a ringtone genre before uploadidng it to your phone and thats not to mention getting the phone to see the new file in the first place because for some reason you dont want me looking round the files on my pc to upload you want to tell me what i can or cant upload because you know best right. WRONG.

So I try to change it and 'ringtone' is not there for a genre so I thought (pardon my language) bollox I cant be bothered any more, once I think that and i read this thread I find those funny text messga tones I have, well forget that they can not be used only default ones????? Are you real? Honestly someone at Nokia when designing this phone thought 'You know what we will restrict them from changing text message tones because they will like that any buy more phones from us' ARE YOU REAL??????????????

Right I am telling you here and now, I have 2 children both have phones I have one and so does my wife I also have a large extended family and NOT ONE SINGLE ONE OF US will ever buy another nokia. You seem to want to make it such an awful experience using your phones you are must want to bankrupt your company, I mean why else would you do that? Why make a phone so hard to customise that you give up after a couple of hours? Why restrict text message tones to the default ones only? tell me what that achieves what added benefit does your customer get from that? For my part its non.

No as I said I will never buy another of your phones I simply will not pay hundreds of pounds on something that locks me out of even the most basic of functions as text mesage tones and makes other things like ringtones so convoluted and awkward that it gives you a headache.

Your phone is quite simply rubbish no wonder you wont be around much longer.

Yours

sybaris.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

This is the first WP phone from Nokia. At least it does have an option to do that. The first S40 and S60 does not, yeah? When you make a "first" the focus is the functionality the other features are only add-ons. It can send SMS and make calls, it is a phone. Does it make less of a phone when you cannot set your own ringtone?
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

It doesn't make it less of a phone but phones have been more than phones for a long time now. The text tone issue might seem trivial but for many people used to Symbian or Android it actually is a big deal. Particularly as many people use their phones more for texting than calls. For me ,it's just nice knowing that the text which has just arrived is from my son rather than say T-Mobile telling me my bill is due.

I have a query, are all Windows phones restricted in this way?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Yes, all Windows 7.5 phones.

For Windows Phone 8.0 there is a Ringtone maker provided by Nokia for Lumia phone models only.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ringtone-maker/5a99cbd9-e82a-4892-8264-17a64f9142e5
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I wasn't asking about ring tones but text tones. I know it's possible to create your own ring tones on WP7
Please use plain text.