Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

lumia 720 screen freeze

Advisor
binnyjeshan

lumia 720 screen freeze

Hi my new Lumia 720 sometimes freeze up and only way out is a reset..... Any tips please? Is this a known issue? Is there any fix update planned to be released?
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Re: lumia 720 screen freeze

binnyjeshan wrote:
Hi my new Lumia 720 sometimes freeze up and only way out is a reset..... Any tips please? Is this a known issue? Is there any fix update planned to be released?

Does this happen randomly or when accessing particular application on your phone? Pressing the down volume and power keys together until the phone vibrates and starts up is what I'd suggest. Is this the reset you did?

Freezing may also occur when you are multitasking or accessing multiple applications. Make sure that connections you are not using are disabled (NFC, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc).

When did you purchase the phone? If the issues persists and is getting worse, it's best to bring it back to the retailer for replacement as soon as possible. Do not forget to bring the proof of purchase.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
binnyjeshan

Hello Musica,

Thanks for the Prompt Reply.

I'll explain in neat how this happened.

OCCURENCE 1:  The first day

1. I purchased my mobile on April 20'th, which is just 2 days after it was released to stores in India.

2. That day night i just tried Wifi, contacts, people hub etc and was going well till then.

3. I wanted to change brightness settings so, i was checking auto, low, high etc. I set it to Low, Then Locked the phone using the button on the side. After a minute i wanted to open up the Camera by pressing on the shutter button (when the phone is still in the locked condition). I did not see any camera opening up. I then tried to Unlock the screen and it dint. I tried almost everything, volume  up, down etc.. nothing happened. 

I tried to connect the USB cable to the Phone and access it through laptop, and gracefully i saw that the folders appearing on the browser. Hence i confirmed that the phone had power supply and some part of it is still running.

Please note that this just happened as i said 1) change screen brightness - changed few times between options, and finally settled down to Low 2) Locked the screen 3) Tried to Open camera by press and hold Shutter button of camera.  -> Thats it after that i was not able to see anything on the screen.. The screen was clear Black and even the windows and other two icons below did not glow for any operation i did.. 

I had to reset the phone to get something on the display back again.

And clearly to say that - This Problem is not re-producible in the same way again.

OCCURENCE 2:  4-5 days later(This time luckily i dint want to restart, plase read below)

1) I was in the "settings" menu searching something on the settings. I think i set the wifi on and came back to the settings main view.

2) assuming wifi was on, i wanted to go back and open browser, so i press the back key and nothing happened. Still the settings menu was showing up. 

3) So i thought it was stuck and tried to click something on the settings. Neither a touch nor any sort of selection was not accepted. instead the screen Freezed in the same Settings menu.

4) NOW, i just randomly tried few moves on the screen just to try wake it up. And i found a glimpse of LOCK SCREEN coming down from the top (i think) in a slow motion (unusual than the normal appearance). 

5) Now i have the lock screen infront of me, and i slowly slide it up as usual. The phone was unlocked and then i had the settings menu there which now resumed working.

This was strange to me as a Software Programmer to realize why the lock screen appeared on the fist place and why was the settings menu first was not responding.

Please note that this time i dint have to restart the phone luckily.

OCCURENCE 3:  Seven days later after the purchase

1. Installed photosyth. Took a photosynth capture

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=0b887c2e-aa42-4491-9c60-4d0fd43e6356

2. If you see this photosynth image, in some place you will note a Green Color like coating sort of a paint on just the left of the church View. It sort of covers the leaves like a thin green Film. 

3. Please note - that was the last frame i shot in the Photosynth lens before i continued to stitch. 

4. Stitching complete and the image was just as you see in the above photosynth Link. 

5. After this i wanted to use camera normally, and when i do so, i see everything as "that green color" which appears in the photosynth image that i mentioned.  i closed Camera and opened it again from the start menu, and NO... Still it was the same green. I wasnt able to see any objects that i aim. Fully green.

6. Left with no options, but in a hurry to take a picture, i had to restart the device..

These are the just three occurences that i had during these 10 days after purchase. 

I tried hard later on to test the device by trying the same things, but never happened. I am particularyly bothered ONLY about the issue 1 & 2. Third issue is definely because of PhotoSynth causing something. May be it didnt flush anything out of the camera buffer memory.. or dont know what exactly made that green there in the image and later on the full viewfinder... :smileysad: 

The device otherwise works exceptionally well and hence i dint want to immediatly go and check with Nokia Care, because the problem was not perfectly re-producible. 

==> What do you think? I certainly feel that it could be a software issue with 1 & 2? 

1) Would you be interested in some logs in case the issue occurs again? 

2) If the issue occurs again, and i just take the phone immediately to Nokia Care, should i suggest something to them on Your behalf so that they dont try to diagnose something wrong? Because if they reset it, reproducing the issue is hard. 

3) Do you think i would need to ask Nokia Care to run any diagnostic tests for "this specific  issue"? Do you have such a test available & instructed to all Nokia Care Engineers?

Please suggest.  Rest all things in the phone are fine and its absolutely smooth. Even if i exchange, i dont have guarantee / rather convinced that this issue will popup again in the new phone (if at all). So i want to know the root cause before i exchange so that it does not appear again in the new phone.

Thanks,

Binny. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RSM12

Hi I have same problem, lumia 720 catches lot of cold often and freezes.
dont understand why. to hard set , had to remove the sim card. please suggest a solution.only wifi is on nof nfc or bluetooh. heavily used for words with friends and whats app.
based in mumbai. purhcased about 10 days back from flipkart.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
binnyjeshan

Hello RSM12,

You have to explain the situation a bit more like i did. What were you doing when the freeze happened? what freezes and what you seen on the screen. 

Do you know to press hard reset by Volume Down Key + Lock Key pressed together for about 10 seconds? Did you do that ?  Why you need to remove sim card? 

I think my problem and yours are different. Please give a clear picture. 

@ Moderator ; Could you please help with my explanation that i gave in detail? 

Regards,

Binny.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tapas109

bought lumia 720 a few weeks back.. the lock screen freezes constantly does nt even restart with volume down plus power key.. please help happening since second day.. phone is not used much other than calls and fb on wifi

Please use plain text.
ajonly

i had a similar situation yesterday. Using the lumia 720 for the last 5 days.

i just tried to unlock the screen. i saw the lock screen picture but no date/time or anything. didnt slide up and was completely not responding. i let it there and checked it after a few minutes and then found that the screen was off. i connected to laptop and to my surprise i could browse the files inside and saw battery was 100%. it took a while to found out how to reset the phone (almost 2 hours since i was travelling and that too partially from my friend who has lumia) . but what i did was, i pressed down the power switch for 2 minutes (i'm not sure what other keys i pressed. almost tried different combinations) it suddenly switched on with a vibration. And it was not resetted also. found in the lock screen the date was september 2012. other than that nothing else i could see. 

Since it happended same for others in some way or the other, i guess it will be fixed through an update. looking forward to that

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kkarty

Even Iam facing the same problem. Is it with all the 720s or some of it ?
Please use plain text.
santanusk

[ Edited ]

Hi binnyjeshan,

I have experienced with almost the same issue in my l720.

Case 1: (Day 10)

I tried to open the facebook app. It was taking more time than usual. After a while the phone got restarted.

Case 2: (Day 31 Today)

I was listening to music and wanted to change the song so I tried to unlock the screen but nothing happened. The screen is black but the current song was still running. Volume up down was also not working. I waited for the song to finish to listen the next song but after completing the song the next song was not started.

After reset it shows a big Exclamation (!) sing on the screen and restarted it after some time and this time it’s quite laggy and shows no network coverage and it restart again automatically. After that it’s working fine.

In all my experience I have seen the Network bar shows no coverage when it getting restart again.

Do I need to take my phone to Nokia Care? Please advise.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Impromptu

I am having problem with the touch screen on my Lumia 720 too. Sometimes the touch screen will not respond to touch when I try to slide unlock it. However the physical side button still function properly. I can still take pictures with the side button when the touch screen is not responding. The only way to temporary solve it after that is to reset it. I do not know how to replicate the problem as it appears to be random. The phone works fine if I am actively using it but the touch screen may be unresponsive after it is locked.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mvmoradia

its working.

my phone was hang up and showing only nokia logo in start up.

and its hang.

after  10 min i had press volume down button+ Lock button for 10 sec . phone get  restart .

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RASIF420

ts working.

my phone was hang up and showing only nokia logo in start up.:cathappy:

Please use plain text.
jozek

unfortunatelly my phone has the same problem. sometimes when I try to unlock it, the screen does not respond. Side button works fine. And the other issue: if the screen is unlocked, and there is an application opened, the screen starts shake (very quickly goes from different screens of application to others, or switch from home screen to application list). It looks as if there was a short circuit on the touch surface. In settings I turned off high response of the screen and it doesn't help.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
binnyjeshan

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Being the one who started this thread, i would like to say few things.

1)  This issue has happend so ar around 3 times in a timespan of 2 months. And i use the phone almost 70% heavily.

2)  I Observe that this issue has to do "Something" around the Lockscreen. There is some software issue, as per my guess that causes this issue. You may also find this described in http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/windows-phone-8-problems/  

(search for freeze there)

3) I think this could be not a Lumia 720 issue, as because i strongly belive it causes some kind of deadlock between lock screen or its surrounding applications.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-820-freeze/td-p/1613474

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-Lumia-920-freezing/td-p/1604040/page/5

http://mynokiablog.com/2013/01/04/nokia-is-aware-of-cog-wheel-issue-plaguing-lumia-920-pr-1-1-suppos...

-> "the issue of the phone occasionally freezing up will be fixed with the software update."

4) Expecting soon these issues to be fixed, as Nokia and Microsoft are agressive on updates. 

5)  Otherwise, my phone works very well, doesnt give many issues. 

6) Note the fact the Android also has similar issues, almost 6000 + unique high critical Bugs are reported till date. 

7) Do not get panicked or frustrated. In case you need any assistance, mail me:  XXXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com , so that i can try to help you with some answers or clues :smileywink:

Enjoy your Phone.

regards,

Binny.

Moderator's Note: The email address was edited out. Please do not publish personal information in a public forum.

Please use plain text.
coolozzy

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

I had bought my lumia 720 yesterday 16 june 2013 and today i have to submit it to care center as screen was gettng freeze every hour..

I know restartng the phone solves the problem but after spending 350$ on this phone, is nokia expecting us to reset the phone every hour.. sad god save nokia lumia.. I am not gonna recommend anyone this phone.

Also i had used android phones before it does have bugs but not like this where you have to restart your phone every now and then and that 2-3 times to make screen responsive.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
binnyjeshan

If you reflash your phone, the problem is solved.. Coolozzy... Btw, I too know branded android phones that also had severe issues even more than this. 😞
Please use plain text.
indeevar

[ Edited ]

I also faced same problem of freezing

1. 22-06-3013

i also faced the same problem of screen freezing and tried every combination of keys to fix it but i was not then i took it to noka care center they fixed it . When i asked what the problem was they just said settings problem .

2.22-06-2013

after half an hour i turned on the bluetooth and was coming back to home screen it again freezd.

and again i had to go to nokia care center to get it fixed.

and now either i want my money back or hand set replacement as early as possible.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JoshIndia

Same happened with my LUMIA 720 Once got replaced it, but again sometimes it happens the same and i am writin this because it again happened just now :thumbdown: and it seriously irritates alot "SCREEN FREEZE" or say in simpler words HANG.. you have to soft reset it !

Nokia its an serious issue fix this bug  launch an update soon for this.

binnyjeshan wrote:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sagarjere

Hi,

I am facing this Hanging issue once in every 2 days atleast.

NOKIA please do something. Please keep your customer Happy. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
santhoshn

Am tooo facing the same issue with my 720... its been 3 times now... i can recognize that the system is up and running but Display off and wont start whatever i do.. untill i restart using volume and power keys or... shut down the system blind folded assuming the "slide down to turn off" appears....

I am not using many third party apps... infact latest when i did it... i guess only IE and Music player were running... Wi-fi and blue tooth off....Mobile data was on...

Nokia must Just gotta solve this soon... Its a blind trust i have on Nokia, which made me value 720 ahead of the numerous competetion.. expecting a patch soon...

Please use plain text.