Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

lumia 720 screen freeze

Registered Member
EsPeHil

Re: lumia 720 screen freeze

Same problem as everyone else here.

Please use plain text.
Kittyy

Am using lumia 720 from 2 months, Screen freeze often and  long press of down volume key + lock key restarts the phone.

This time phone is running , ie getting calls (phone rings) n msgs ,  but display is black screen, windows and search botton at the down are glowing,,,,  No use of long press of volume key + lock key,,,,,,

Please use plain text.
bhimsen

I have now done soft reset about 5 time - touch screen is still not working!!!

All of a sudden it decided to give up!

It is 20 day now & I have had this issue 2 time! 

I am really unhappy about this...Nokia...got to do something...it is by far the worst expeience I had with phones!

looks etc are all good... but what good they are if I cant make any call!

Please provide some solution to this soon.

Please use plain text.
myNewLumia

Hi, I have purchaged my new lumia 720 from flipcart a week ago..  i was **bleep** off with its beaviour today.. while  starting from my office i locked my fone and kept it inside my pocked safely with covers.. it was raining fully in Hyderabad.. after coming home i tried to unlock my phone.. its weird to see that nothing is getting displayed.. only soft keys have light.. screen in blank..in a total shock i called flipcart but no help.. i tried different thing atlast after 2 hours i pressed power and camera button symultaneosly it got opened..  i dont know what is this behaviour.. if i would have known this prior i might have not purchased this..

i love this phone but.. today it dissappointed me a lot.. is windows planning something for this in upcoming version update.. as updated is on the roll.. just curios to know ill this issue gets fixed with it ????

Please reply to my post...

Please use plain text.
myNewLumia

hey there.. i got this 720 just 2 days ago.. iam facing the sam issue..  does this issue impacted ur phone performance.. i dont know abt this before purchasing this..:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
curare

i have Lumia 720.

me and my brother has the same phone. but i use an 8 GB micro SD card on it while my brother has a different SD card of 2gb.

my brother's phone is running smoothly but my phone was constantly freezing.

Then i unplug my phone's 8 GB mikro SD card and screen freeze problem got away.

may be this makes a difference in this issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
priteshz

I use merely 2GB MMC and it's still freezing :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vivek7

Guys same issue here lockscreen freezed i sorted it out after transfering from bluetooth ... it scared the **bleep** outta me..... i love the phone so badly but this issue for 4 hours scared everything outta me ... after reading so much about it .. i finally found a link that helped me ...

Nokia says 

Press and hold the Volume down and the Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds. Your device should restart and work as normal.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/windows-phone-8-problems/#ixzz2ZbnUMNCv 

But 10 secs aint gonna help keep it a 20 secs n your life comes back .... i just hope that i dont have same problem again its gone disappoint me ...

n Nokia service center is gone get it for that ....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TRaghav1211

I bought my Lumia 720 two days back. Yesterday night while I was checking out its low light camera shots the focus on half press just froze and the camera became unresponsive. The home button saved it for all other buttons failed. Curious on how such a new device would glitch I opened the camera again. The problem prevailed and I had to again use the home button. Immediately after which I locked my phone. This is when it froze. Figured out from the forums how to do a reset and it restarted fine with the exception of the wrong date and time. Since then I have been reading forums on wpcentral, nokia and microsoft. It's such a disappointment coming from Nokia. Also the fact that majority of its users are facing this issue is something Nokia should take into consideration and look into. 
On one of the forums I read someone post about how a poor Mini to Micro SIM conversion or how various apps could have caused it. But I dont believe it to be any true because I did'nt even have my SIM and Memory Card in the phone. As a matter of fact I didn't even install a single app (apart from the one's it came preinstalled with) as I havent yet accesed Internet through it. Can anyone please tell what this is all about?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stefel

I have the exact same problem. I had the phone for about a week and it happened twice. At one time I was taking photos with the camera. Then the screen froze, displaying the current camera picture and became unresponsive, then after some time (maybe half a minute to a minute) the screen just went black and never came back. VolumeDown+Power button reset it and it started up again.

The second time it happened I just had the phone sitting on my desk, it hasn't been touched for at least 12 hours. I unlocked the screen and then came a message 'Resuming" with the animated dots. It's been doing that for about half a minute or a minute and then the screen went black again, the phone became completely unresponsive, had to reset it agian.

I only have WiFi enabled (no Bluetooth/etc.).

I suspect it's a bug in the OS/software because when the phone is in this unresponsive state, connecting it to a computer via USB still brings up the phone connection on the computer as usual.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
schnuppi1995

I read many posts and answers but have not noticed a real working solution for sudden freeze screens or "dead" Lumia 720, did I miss something  ?

My Lumia 720 freezes nearly any time I listen to the music , but also while checking exchange mail account( in the beginning for some other applications, now only these 2 ),

I use 64GB fast SD card where I have around 20GB of music( so lot of free space ).Phone memory has still about 3GB free.

I hardly ever use 2 applications together , so heavy use cannot be the issue, all updates installled right away.

Last night it froze and "died"  ( for couple of hours I coud not do anything , did not try hard reset, just soft as I have installed HERE DRIVE full version) . It is so frustrating, I was about to throw it against the wall ( second time already ) , any advice except returning to the shop .I am strictly against Android or iPhone but i am getting rather nervous what to do .

thanks for any advice

Please use plain text.
Blr_Lumia710

My Lumia 720 was purchased on Thu 25th. The issues i have

1. I tried pairing my bluetooth BH-108 with the L720 & it wasnt recognising the accessory. So i stopped after couple of tries. Locked my screen and drew to work, where i realised the phone just wouldnt show up. When i called from my landline the L720 was ringing to my landline earpiece, but the mobile phone wasnt ringing or responding, screen blank !. I then tried the Powerbutton + volume rockers. The phone switched back-on and everything is fine after it. I am yet to try re-pairing the phone though

2. Each time i change screens by pressing the back button (left), the clock shows up all across the blank screen and sometimes a blue line keeps running through...this is common on every single back-move. Jarry screen and its just showing badly. See the screen shot i have attached

I am not seeing any solution on this forum.. but if others are also facing a similar issue, then its more wide i guess

Please use plain text.
Advisor
binnyjeshan

Return the Piece. Thats the best way.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yinz

I just want to say that I have the same problem with the phone. After some heavy usage, e.g. taking tens of phots, or using GPS continiously for 10 mintues, sometimes (not always), and after I close the screen manually, the phone now respones to nothing! It behaves like zero power! I cannot restart, cannot do anything. 

And when I plugin the power, the phone becomes live again. I can see that there is enough power left. So definately a software issue! Nokia, please fix this!

Please use plain text.
knarked

so  i have had  this  phone  for less  than  10  hours , set it   all set  up  as per  YOUR instuctions~ within  4 hours   it's  F******D !!!  screen  frozen , waited  & waited   went  to  the  www  for  tips  & came  to  this  page   tried  all  the  tips on this  page   held  the  power  button down for  5  mins  on many occasions to  no avail ,plugged into  the  laptop ,  guess  what  F**k all ! in the  old  days  tip one #  was  remove  the  battery , no can  do !~ only apps  loaded  are  face  book , RAC &  drive, 4   F*****G hours  i have  been  trying   now, can  not  recieve  calls  , i tried  from my land  line, ~can  not  make  calls  as  my phone  is  for  all intent  DEAD !   i should  apologise  for  the  language  but  i won't  unless  someone  can  sort  this out, as it  would  apear  it  is  not  a  faulty  phone  but  a  problem your  end  that  i would  rather  like  sorting swiftly as  it  would  apear  from this  thread  so  would  many others !!(oh sorry can't  get a windows  fix  via  phone  as  it's  DEAD !!)~ this  phone costs £249.00 via  02 & SUPPOSED    to  be  cutting  edge ? !!! any sensible  tips on how  to  fix  other  than slinging  the  thing  in the  bin ?

binnyjeshan wrote:
Hi my new Lumia 720 sometimes freeze up and only way out is a reset..... Any tips please? Is this a known issue? Is there any fix update planned to be released?

Please use plain text.
knarked

cant even reset
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
csramesh

yes. this solved my problem. Hold the  volume down button and the power button till the phone vibrates.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thulo

The screen does not light up and the phone appears dead.  However when I Call the number I get a ringing tone but there is no sound from the nokia 720.  What could be the matter and how can I wake up the phone ..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheRooster

So I got about 12 updates this morning. One was for display+touch which I think may be the culprit. I won't get my hopes up as I've learned that Nokia is terrible with smartphone quality control (this is my second bad Nokia smartphone in as many attempts). I'll post back in a week if I don't have

anymore soft resets. I was up to 3 per day a couple days ago...

Please use plain text.
arunsln

Hi, I bought the 720 about 6 days ago and faced similar blackout issues several times. A point to note is, If I call my mobile when it is in blackout or hanged state, I can still hear the ringing sound from the other phone I used to dial the 720 but no ringtone from it!
If we are told to avoid multitasking by turning other apps off, then I,feel its very similar to what we used to do with Win98 OS in the 2000s! I am a Nokia fan as well, I think Nokia has to do,something very fast to tackle this and definitely not suggest an upgrade to 925 or other models!
Please use plain text.