Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: lumia 800 constant blank screen during calls

daniel2183

lumia 800 constant blank screen during calls

hi guys,

I have a nokia lumia 800,

when im on a call the screen stays blank so i cant access any of the in call options? i dont have a screen protector on the phone, i have run the diagnostics app and the the proximity sensor is responding fine!!! so it leads me to think its a software issue? is this a common problem or am i doing something wrong?

hope you can help.

daniel

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
piran

Not a bug but a feature ( eg power saving ).

When you want further features during the call just

move it from the upright position (ear) to say a more

horizontal position, or shake it about or just click the

power button on the side... the screen then comes

out of its power save mode. This blanking also stops

ears 'selecting' stuff on an otherwise lit up screen;-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shay1

My wife had the same problem, and the screen appeared to be popping out of the body of the phone, there was also a strange clicking sound when pressing near the back button, the screen would come back to life if by applying pressure to the upper half of the screen.
The handset is sent for repair at the moment ,so will have to wait and see what excuse Vodafone Ireland will come up with.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

The screen gets turned off during a phone call when the proximity sensor is covered. This is done to avoid accidental touch screen actions when you are in a call.
If the screen gets turned off immediately when dialing a number or receiving a call, check that your phone does not have any object which may cause detection. There are various non-Nokia original screen protectors sold in the market which cover the proximity sensor causing blank screen issues during calls.
You can take the following steps to check the issue. If the screen keeps turned off, the protector may not be of the right size and will block the sensor on the upper part of the front side. Then either remove the protector or cut off the plastic from the blocking area.
Make or receive a call with the phone.
Once the phone is in a call place your hand 1cm above the screen and display will turn off.
Remove your hand and display shall turn back on.
Repeat the test steps 1,2,3 for 3 times to verify the proximity sensor function.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
daniel2183

thanks for your replies guys.

I dont have a screen prtoector on the phone so cant be that.

if i make a call then pull the phone away fomr my ear(say to turn the loud speaker on) it just stays black. i have have the in phone menu flick on for a second but thats it! like i said i ran the nokia diagnositcs app ##634# and the proximity test runs fine 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HMVN

I am interested in whether you managed to solve the problem of the screen blanking out during calls?

I too do not have a screen protector or anything on the phone which would block the detector device and my screen blacks out during all calls.  It does not come back on if moved or even if I press the power switch.

I have tried my phone provider and they have saqid its a common fault and I need to await the update fixing the problem.  Is this true???

Please use plain text.
waeras

I have the same problem. Proximity sensor doesn't work when in a call, so the display is always black, unless i press on the exactly roght spot on the top of the screen. (And the screen also looks as if it's "popping out" from the phone, at least on the upper left side of the display) Annoying, since I can't hang up unless i either apply pressure on the screen or have a headset connected (in which case I can hang up with the button on the headset)

Is this covered by Nokias warranty ? I don't have money to pay for a repair, is saving up for a 920 so don't really want to spend anything on this (my second) Lumia 800 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Send it to a nokia care point and they can investigate it

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gyrine

The problem with the blank screen is , you will be told to power off power on, may not work neither sometimes does restoring your phone to factory settings, trust me i have tried them all, dial in ##634# this will run a diagnostics programme scroll down and find proximity sensor and select if it goes straight to green its broken,should go yellow to green. Take back to the shop if under warranty and your provider will send it off for repair and because your phone is a sealed unit the battery being integral you like me may get a shiny new one and sit on tender hooks wandering when your next blank screen will appear p.s do not use the wrong screen savers or a case with a magnetic clasp.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shaandoro

What should I do if that doesn't work do you think the proximity sensor on the phone is broken cause it doesn't even light up when I get texts ?
Please use plain text.