Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: lumia 900- Contacts have to be manually entere...

Contributor
natimus

lumia 900- Contacts have to be manually entered when texting?

lumia 900- Contacts have to be manually entered when texting?

I am not sure how to describe my issue, I can say  that Nokia live chat did not have an answer for me.

I synced my google, yahoo and facebook, as well as bluetooth synced my contacts form the old blackberry..everything is there, but when I start to type a name in SMS/text, B-o-b-b-y or J-e-r-r-y, they don't auto complete and are not found...yet when I hit the " +" symbol and go search for them , they are there and I can select them. The agent I spoke with said that's normal...**bleep**?

If this is normal, this phone is going back TODAY! This and other features are just asinine, this phone is used for business and communication on a grand scale, why do you limit its usage?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
natimus

Re: lumia 900- Contacts have to be manually entered when texting?

ok, several hours on the phone have proven that this IS an issue, and it NEEDs to be resolved...

The reason this is happening, is because my synced and bluetooth transfered contacts are defaulting to work numbers....Defaulting to work numbers! and the phone thinks you should not be able to text a work #...make sense? therefore it is not an automatic that you should text "bobby", as he is clearly on a land line at work, and this contact does not have a mobile device...

You should fix this, you should at the very least let me know you are working on it

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I really don't understand your issue, although I'm using the Lumia 800 in UK so maybe that's an issue. But having tried personal contacts , business contacts, and 0800/0845 numbers, when selected in message I have option to send sms. Also when I go into people hub and pick a contact I can't find one without the option to sms. However in the UK you can send a txt to a landline number, so maybe it's a geographical issue. Possibly visiting the Microsoft forums maybe of some help, as they both write the OS and are US based (assuming you are in the US as it's the only place the 900 is available at the moment as far as I'm aware?)

Good Luck , and I hope you find a solution.

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smahend2

Natimus

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize you can't text work or home phone numbers.  I have a couple of contacts who have multiple cell phones (each contact is only allowed to have 1 cell phone number), so I'll have to manually enter their phone number to text (or create a seperate contact for each cell phone).  Kind of a pain.

Hope you get a solution.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi smahend2,

Thanks for posting. While a contact only has one entry for a 'mobile' number you can enter and use multiple numbers with a contact just fine.

Enter the additional number in other field (like a business/work mobile) in the contact list and when entering a text you select the person to send the text to. If a contact has multiple phone numbers entered you can select which number to use by pressing the icon with the two arrows on the bottom of the screen.

If a contact has Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn or similar entries in their contact information you can select these as well to send them a message on the indicated IM/social account.

The last used number or Social Media account will be remembered as default next time you select the contact. You can see on top of the screen which type of destination number/account has been selected.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

On Lumia 800 if a mobile number is not named "mobile" it will not fill in automatically even if that is the only number for the contact. Conversely if a landline number is wrongly labelled,"mobile" it will. It's not a big deal and all will work if numbers are labelled properly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
natimus

To Kosh and caitlin1759,

When my contacts were transferred from my Blackberry (which by default had them all as mobile) they all became work numbers automatically.

When my contacts were synced from Gmail/Google, they were also changed to work numbers.

I don't think I know more than 10 people with landlines still, unless we are talking about a bank or other often used business.

My biggest problem here is that I do have over 500 sms contacts (2,000+ in email), and all are contacted often throughout the year, whether friend or business associate, or customer. I need to change all of these in one batch as opposed to each painstaking contact at a time...

need to fix; contact #'s are showing up by default as work phone, and are not selectable from the list. they must be searched for...

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

[ Edited ]

Gosh that would be a pain. This is very odd, I wonder why they defaulted to "work". I'm not sure I follow Kosh's reply as my phone is the same as yours- unless the number is labelled "mobile" it will not fill in automatically.

Would it be possible for your secretary to go on to Windows Live pc site and alter all numbers? Or do you have any sensible children who could do it for you? It might be easier to do on a desktop site.

Edit. This won't help you at all for contacts who have more than 1 mobile number. It won't let you add a second mobile number to a contact, just discovered that I can't add my spare back up payg mobile to my own profile unless I call it something else.

Edit again neither Symbian or Android have any restrictions on a contact having multiple mobile numbers.

Please use plain text.
obyk

Honestly, this is the last straw with this phone... I have Lumia 822 and all these "small" issues are way too anoying to put up with, with so many other and in many cases better competitors... Tranferring all contacts from old blackberry and now i have to go into each one manually and change in from work to cell just in order to txt??? Dumbest thing ever... Not wasting my time... Phone goes back tomorrow... Never mind the abismal calendar that is impossible to read in month view cause it's too small, or agenda view which lists the DATES in DULL GREY... omg.. too bad I already bought the accesories but oh well...

Please use plain text.