Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

lumia 920 how to save video received in text messa...

Contributor
ddsgeocacher

lumia 920 how to save video received in text message?

Lumia 920 is one week old, great phone. But don't see how to save a video received in a text message to the phone and eventually to skydrive. User manual downloaded from Nokia (107 pages!) says an attachment to a text message can be saved by  touching "..." and then 'save to phone' but "..." and no other options appear when tapping the video or the enclosing text message.  That user interface does work for photo images received in a text message but not for videos.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

Re: lumia 920 how to save video received in text message?

It should be a case of press and hold on the attachment, then select save the drop down menu

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddsgeocacher

If I press and hold the box with the text message the drop down menu only offers 'delete', 'forward', and  'copy' with the 'copy' option grayed out.  Pressing and holding on the video while playing does not produce a drop down menu but rather just the commands to pause, rewind and fast forward.

Tried the 'forward' option but it only produced a blank message with the contained attachment to be sent to another text addressee.

Also connected the 920 to my Windows 8 computer but the video file in the text message does not appear anywhere in the File Explorer folders for document, photos, videos or music.  And search for "IMG" does not return any hits.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

ddsgeocacher wrote:

.  And search for "IMG" does not return any hits.

That could be your answer then. Windows Phone 8 doesn't support that file format so it won't allow you to save it to your phone.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddsgeocacher

I made the mistake of not giving complete information regarding 'IMG'!  The full text name of the video file is "IMG_0283.3gp".  I searched my Lumia 920 phone when connected to my Window 8 computer for just 'IMG' because the search was responding in real time to each character entered (as soon as I typed 'I' alone it showed all the files having an 'I' anywhere in the file name) and that file was never found.

The '3gp' file extension indicates the "standard mobile video file format" and the 920 does successfully play the video.  It just appears for some reason the 920 will not save it as a separate file, even in its 'Videos' folder.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

Doesn't it just appear in the 'music & videos'?

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddsgeocacher

Nothing in Music or Videos folders; other than the "It's lonely in here..." message indicating the folder is empty.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

I'm intrigued by this, what should be a simple thing.

when playing the video do you get the 3 menu dots in the bottom corner?

I've never had video sent via sms, i might send one to myself to test it

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddsgeocacher

The video arrives as a hot link text string in the text message with a tiny "film" icon leading the file name.  Tapping the hot link immediately switches out of text message mode and starts playing the video with initially the video control buttons superimposed which then disappear unless the video is tapped while playing.  The only other control that shows is a tiny icon to expand to full-screen mode and back again.  No '...' or other control symbols appear. As soon as the video ends the display returns back to the text messaging context.  I tried holding down while the video was playing but that just brought up the video control icons again.  I also tried pausing the video and holding down but nothing happened.

This particular video was sent from an iPhone but since it is .3pg I don't think that is the problem.  I suspect I am not noticing and/or not easily seeing a setting of some kind.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
screenproblem

Maybe it takes it like a Copyright........so you can not save it?????????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

I've sent myself a message to test it and can't find a way either :smileysurprised:

hopefully there will be an update to fix it or maybe even an app to do it

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Azukki

I had this same problem with pictures ( tho with Lumia 800/wp7 ) and rebooting device worked for me, try that.

Please use plain text.
Idomeneus

I am having the same problem. The other issue I have is that when you play the video file, which was sent from an iphone, I cannot turn the video so that it plays with the phone vertical. The video was shot with the iphone vertical but on the lumia it plays as a little strip

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Any solution to this problem yet?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jmrichman

Forward the message to an email account only thing that's worked for me
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Angie13

I have been on the phone all day regarding this and am no further forward. Nokia have no idea why this is happening and obviously no idea on how to fix it either. Hope some-one can work it out. Thanks
Please use plain text.